• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail use hearing in Anc this AM?!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
Chugach State Park Planning Public Input Meetings start 9/15!

Current meetings scheduled:

Eagle River - Town Hall - Sept. 15 at 6:30pm

Anchorage - Atwood State Office Building - Sept. 16 at 11:30am

Girdwood - Girdwood Community Center - Sept. 17 at 6:30pm

Anchorage - Campbell Creek Science Center - Sept 22 at 6:30pm

Thanks, Livealaska for your input.

Last edited:

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Chugach State Park Planning Public Input Meetings

More info http://www.dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chugach/planning.htm

Lets all get informed and get out and make sure our interests and concerns are heard.

LAters

Reactions: furthur
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Wow guys, not looking good. We need to really try to get a lot of people together to show up and voice our opinions in a polite and knowledgeable manner. I'm going to go to the Anchorage meetings, who else?

Some quotes-

"• Motorized access to park is inappropriate since park is one of the last refuges from the city, where motors are a constant. This is also inconsistent with the park’s wilderness setting"

"• Amount of motorized access is adequate and should not be expanded
• Stagger time period for non-motorized/motorized use
• Would like to see snowmachine use eliminated in the Glen Alps area"

"• Would like to see same or more limited access than motorized users currently have primarily because of the wear and tear on tundra, noise, and the difficulty in having multi user groups out at the same time"

^^^Like turnagain and johnsons pass?

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
Ill try to make it to the anchorage one on the 22nd. Ill be in some classes for work that day, but I should be able to make it in the evening...

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
As always, one informed voice outweighs the noise of a 100 uninformed. But numbers matter, if you can't make it to the meetings, please take the time to familiarize yourself with the plan and forward your comments to the Department of Natural Resources.

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
As always, one informed voice outweighs the noise of a 100 uninformed. But numbers matter, if you can't make it to the meetings, please take the time to familiarize yourself with the plan and forward your comments to the Department of Natural Resources.

Good Idea! I dont know If I will be able to make the meetings but will try. I think everyone should take time and try to make a meeting or two, or at least make your comments known. :)

Reactions: LiveAlaska

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
For the record, the Powerline Pass trail was never opened last season due to inadequate snowfall, which was crock. I'm going to the meeting on the 22nd and I'm asking for the PPT area to be split into the two riding areas: The trail itself and the rest of the "off trail" area. The trail is the trail is the trail is the trail and a foot of snow is plenty.

I'm also asking for the park to work with area clubs to establish cross country trails for motorized users similar to the summer hiking trails. Maybe Bird Creek to Eagle River via Glen Alps/Powerline.

I'm also going to remind them that's it's the snowmachiners who volunteer every year to do trail maintenance.

G
Dec 1, 2007
Girdwood, Alaska
Doesn't part of our registration monies end up going to trail maintenance also?

A portion does yes. Parking fee's/ season permits, do as well.

Majority of park funding comes from the state, writing you elected officials actualy does help. Parks are for everyone, not just a select few.

The non motorized crowd is much more vocal than the snowmachine, atv, 4x4, ect crowds.

I did a internship in hs with the park service for 6 months, the letters we would get from the non motorized/ close everything group would out number the others 100 to 1. This was in 2000, I am sure it has gotten worse.

Reactions: LiveAlaska

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
A portion does yes. Parking fee's/ season permits, do as well.

Majority of park funding comes from the state, writing you elected officials actualy does help. Parks are for everyone, not just a select few.

The non motorized crowd is much more vocal than the snowmachine, atv, 4x4, ect crowds.

I did a internship in hs with the park service for 6 months, the letters we would get from the non motorized/ close everything group would out number the others 100 to 1. This was in 2000, I am sure it has gotten worse.

Thanks for the info, and for reinforcing, silence on our part will only bring more closures. It doesn't take long to put down a few words of support of motorized access to 'our' parks. From there you can email that one letter to multiple recipients, DNR, elected officials etc. etc.
Let's get on it folks, times a tickin

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Upcoming Chugach State Park public comment meetings

Just trying to keep this from getting buried, since i didn't start the thread i cant stick:D

Lets all get informed and get out and make sure our interests and concerns are heard.

LAters

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Just keepin this alive

Just trying to keep this from getting buried, since i didn't start the thread i cant stick:D

LAters

:beer;

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Just trying to keep this in front of you all

LAters

Nothing to add just keeping this active:face-icon-small-hap

Reactions: BLONDZ

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Reactions: IbBroken

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Tomorrow September 15th Eagle River Town Hall

Just trying to pester the HELL out of you all and encourage you to turn out. Tomorrow is the first of the 4 upcoming meetings. Hope to see you there:beer; Garcia's after anybody??????

LAters

Premium Features