• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRACKSPEED..Turbo VS BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
O
Aug 17, 2009
per your example Ot..both the short track and the long track loose track speed when you back out of the gas..the difference is with the longer track it is easier to recover the lost ground speed....both sleds will recover their track speed when you gas them again...but only the long track is able to pick back up its ground speed..both have track speed..but the short track lost its ground speed.. on the gas its not floating that is saving the long track..its the amount of hookup that keeps it moving..(easy to prove too ..just compare a widetrack 15+156+1 1/4 track to a camo extreme 15+156+2.5... at slow speed with no track spin the long track is getting around by "floating on the snow"..but on the gas it is all about the amount of hookup provided by the track....

There is no ground speed when your floating through 3 feet of virgin dry fluff...It's just not possible to be floating and on the ground at the same time. There really isn't much traction either to be had in virgn dry fluff....

Long powder tracks are designed to fan the snow from both sides of the track when riding in virgin fluff. The only time traction enters the picture is when your riding on a firm base or icy base and a powder paddle track sucks on a firm base or icy base.

OT

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
CC- lmfao at comment "someone who knew so much about nothing"
oh chit that's the perfect way to sum up OT

side note- I think I still have a pic of gorilla looking OT in full camo
cabela gear on a sled, no way in hell can this bear ride

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
By the way CC the pic your looking for was a Viper Mod buried to the hilt while 12 guys waited at the bottom and never even made an attempt.

OT

That "Viper" couldnt climb squat...a bunch on flatlanders were riding with you that day...YOU were stuck on flat ground...LOL

YOU my friend are lieing out your backside...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Without TRACKSPEED everything else is just a mute point.

OT

Heres a better comparrison...sparky

Turbo Nytro with STOCK track vs a properly clutched/tuned stock XP in a "chest deep" powder day....

nytro track speed was showing 70++...
XP hanging around 45-46...

I know the answer...cause I was there...:cool:-BJ

FYI- this comparro is like drag racing sleds on ICE...one with trail studs and one with ice piks...

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
There is no ground speed when your floating through 3 feet of virgin dry fluff...It's just not possible to be floating and on the ground at the same time. There really isn't much traction either to be had in virgn dry fluff....

Long powder tracks are designed to fan the snow from both sides of the track when riding in virgin fluff. The only time traction enters the picture is when your riding on a firm base or icy base and a powder paddle track sucks on a firm base or icy base.

OT

DUDE...so if theres "no ground speed"...then your stuck or hav'n a samwich...

DUDE...if I read this right...track lug height is irrelevant in powder??

Please stop...your even making yourself look/sound bad....please...BJ

D
Nov 26, 2007
Heres a better comparrison...sparky

Turbo Nytro with STOCK track vs a properly clutched/tuned stock XP in a "chest deep" powder day....

nytro track speed was showing 70++...
XP hanging around 45-46...

I know the answer...cause I was there...:cool:-BJ

FYI- this comparro is like drag racing sleds on ICE...one with trail studs and one with ice piks...

YA I know it too. My nytro was getting its arse kicked royaly. Nytro had stock rear skid and stock 153 track still. XP had 2.5 extreme under it. :beer;

D
Oct 13, 2008

Ot, All speed is measured in comparison to how fast something passes a fixed point on the ground. If you are on 3' of fluff or in the air you better have a correlated groung speed or you are in trouble. Do you want to be in an airplane at 34,000 ft. and all the sudden have a 0 mph comparitive ground speed. ( A little more than 3' of fluff there ). If you do let us know I'm sure it will not be hard to take up collections on here and buy you a ticket on that one way trip.:beer;

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Don't bring up this don't bring up that....Like i said CC i on't know what deck of cards your playing with Bud ?

By the way CC the pic your looking for was a Viper Mod buried to the hilt while 12 guys waited at the bottom and never even made an attempt.

Are you trying to say you've never been buried to the hilt ? Come on CC who are you trying to Bull Sh!t ?

OT

HAHA OT, I think time has changed your memory!!! That pic was of you stuck on flat ground in a freakin' field!!! There wasn't a hill in the picture! The only reason you thought it was steep was because the back end of the sled was 8 feet lower than the front - that's what you get for taking a grass drag triple with a 1 1/4" track to the mountains. LMAO! Yeah we've all been stuck...but when forward momentum stops, most of us have the common sense to let off the throttle instead of trying to tunnel our way out.:rolleyes:

I think I figured out why your BB won't run with the T's like other guys - its the OPERATOR!!!

LMAO - Maybe learn how to ride before judging others...

NSC

Reactions: diamonddave

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
troll-web.jpg

O
Aug 17, 2009
That "Viper" couldnt climb squat...a bunch on flatlanders were riding with you that day...YOU were stuck on flat ground...LOL

YOU my friend are lieing out your backside...BJ

AJ, i was running circles around those flatlander who were just sitting there watching. I also blew a belt that day i guess it was due to me sitting and watching the flatlanders.

If you don't get stuck, your not riding.

OT

Last edited:
O
Aug 17, 2009

Whats your point AJ, It's very clear you and others don't know what the design and purpose of the 2.5 track is all about.

A 2.5 lug is designed to scoop the snow from beneath sled and fan the snow to the sides. If your 2.5 lug is digging you will be digging a trench which will lose trackspeed and potentially get you stuck

Traction in 3 feet of dry virgin fluff = trench

I guess you think a 2.5 lug has traction on ice as well ?

OT

Last edited:
H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
heres a pic of the greatness this is "camo cabela" OT...why on earth are you wearing 7 tec vests under the camo jacket? Or did the under jacket ABS bag deploy?:face-icon-small-sho

otdayatcooke003.jpg

Last edited:
R
Sep 2, 2009
CC, after doing some research on ground speed it's what aircraft pilots use to measure air speed based on a fixed point on the earth. For instance if you ever flown on an airplan that has the TV screen mounted on the back of each seat the TV screen will display a fixed position on the earth to determine the speed of the airplane, Wind speed can and will have an effect on an airplanes speed as it's relative to the ground speed.

So CC again how does ground speed of an airplane come remotely close to trackspeed of a snowmobile ?

This should be good. LOL

OT
Just FYI for you,better doo some more research:confused:
A comparison that I like to make is that it's like swimming in a river. If you're swimming upstream your "groundspeed" will be your swimming speed minus the speed of the water current. Let's say you're a strong swimmer and can make 4 mph. If you swim into a 3 mph current you will only make 1 mph along the riverbank. If you turn around and swim with the current your speed along the bank will be your swimming speed of 4 mph plus the speed of the current (3 mph) for a total speed of 7 mph. The speed at which you can swim has not changed, the speed along the riverbank has. The exact same principle applies with airspeed & groundspeed. Well, almost... When you're talking airspeed there are several other "types" - indicated, calibrated, true, etc. I'm running out of time so if you're still confused well you will probably still be confused.

The simpliest way to say it is that groundspeed is true airspeed corrected for wind. Say you're flying along at 150kts into a 10kt headwind. You'll be moving through the air at 150kts, but only moving along the ground at 140kts.

Now for some of the various airspeeds:

Indicated airspeed (IAS): What the pilot reads off the airspeed indicator
Calibrated airspeed (CAS): Indicated airspeed corrected for instrument error
Equivalent airspeed (EAS): Calibrated airspeed corrected for the compressibility of air
True airspeed (TAS): Airspeed at which the aircraft is moving through the air. Will be different than EAS unless you are at sea level with a standard aptmosphere due to changes in air density affecting instrument readouts.

Most of the time, at least in general aviation, all we care about is indicated airspeed (for performance related issues such as climb speed and such), true airspeed (which can be calculated knowing pressure altitude and temperature) to know how fast we're actually moving through the air, and groundspeed (which can be found from various instruments such as a GPS or DME) to know how fast we're actually making our way to our destination

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Best entertainment I've had in a long time. Thanks guys. I'd love to see my RKT 860 run against any other sled. Be fun to meet all you guys. Cheers

B
Dec 5, 1980
As so many of these have lately, this has become an immature name-calling thread. I'm not really sure how what a person wears to ride has any relevance in this, or any, of these "comparison" threads, but whatever. Yet another thread comes to a rather sad end.

Darrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features