• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tm8 clutching setup recommendations..

H

Hillclimbpro

I have an 09 m8 162 with the ovs race gas kit. It has the challenger x3 track with stock gearing and stock drivers. It has the clutching kit that ovs recommends which are the magna force weights and their torsional secondary kit. I believe it has the Polaris black 190-320 primary spring and not 100% on what spring is in the secondary. It just seems to me that it doesn't have the pull your arms off pull on the top end like other turbos I have ridden. The weights are loaded at the tips like people have said to do and it helped a little but I'm looking for a set up that pulls on the top. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mds weights and a good secondary with a 36* helix up to 11lbs or 38* for more boost. I gained 9mph track speed with that setup on only 6lbs.
Since everyone I know has switched and love it

Mds weights and a good secondary with a 36* helix up to 11lbs or 38* for more boost. I gained 9mph track speed with that setup on only 6lbs.
Since everyone I know has switched and love it

I'm also hunting that perfect clutch setup for my M7 (800cc) Turbo @ ~200hp. Im going for the MDS C1T's along with the 36deg helix (10.4" conversion done). Do you have the part-nr for that helix? What springs would you go with? I would like the engagement at around 3500-3800rpm. I'm at 0-3000feet.

Look up MMSports on this site--he has a set up that I'm running now. I removed a torsional kit, installed this one and wow! it pulls hard. Best set up I have found so far.

I have an mmsports kit if you are interested, 4 adjustable weights cost me $220 and his helix, straight 46 and the stock orange secondary and primary spring.. $200 shipped for it all if someone wanted it.. 1 ride on it. I went a different direction.

Jim

I have an mmsports kit if you are interested, 4 adjustable weights cost me $220 and his helix, straight 46 and the stock orange secondary and primary spring.. $200 shipped for it all if someone wanted it.. 1 ride on it. I went a different direction.

Jim

a straight 46 helix sounds very steep, do you really think i'm able to pull that with pump gas at 6-7psi? is the weights compensating for that or what? Ive heard people with similar turbo setups like me testing 44's and 42's but seems to be going back to 38s or 36s.. But your price is good :thumb: what primary spring is it?

I run a straight 44 helix with his setup and has worked very well. Look up Hubs Performance and talk to Kevin (MMSports). He should be able to answer your questions. I run 10-12 lbs of boost on this set up so maybe at 6-7 lbs he might suggest a different helix angle.

Its kind of confusing, the more the power the shallower the helix. If you want to slow the shift down on a big hp sled you lower the helix. I ran the 46 and most do. The weights are ground flat at the start of the ramp to make the sled build boost before the shift. He does recommend both, 44 or 46. A light weight guy can pull the 46... He has a money back policy too.. His stuff works, I just am running more boost and wanted a lot heavier weights and a different shift pattern than his weights. If you want that rip your arms feel off you need atleast a 46 helix. The turbo has to be loaded and at the proper time, too soon and its laggy, too late and it doesn't rip your arms off. I ran a 38-42 and it was peppy but wasn't omg this thing is fast... Now I ran a 36-46 and it had a much better pull your arms off feeling. This year I am going to try a 40-46 and see if it has the same pull. I have a 40-48 for the spring I will switch over to.

I have an 09 m8 162 with the ovs race gas kit. It has the challenger x3 track with stock gearing and stock drivers. It has the clutching kit that ovs recommends which are the magna force weights and their torsional secondary kit. I believe it has the Polaris black 190-320 primary spring and not 100% on what spring is in the secondary. It just seems to me that it doesn't have the pull your arms off pull on the top end like other turbos I have ridden. The weights are loaded at the tips like people have said to do and it helped a little but I'm looking for a set up that pulls on the top. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I run that same year sled and their setup....and unless you are running the very heavy weights you need to fill up every hole. Load em up...it'll work real nice at 12ish lbs of boost. If you are running the heavy weights load the two center holes with two magnets each. That should get you about 87-88 grams of weight. I do like their bigger secondary helix with higher boost.

Good luck

I run that same year sled and their setup....and unless you are running the very heavy weights you need to fill up every hole. Load em up...it'll work real nice at 12ish lbs of boost. If you are running the heavy weights load the two center holes with two magnets each. That should get you about 87-88 grams of weight. I do like their bigger secondary helix with higher boost.

Good luck

88grm!!!! At what elevation?
This sled is ridden at 8-12000 ft above 9000 ft most the time.

What rpm is everyone shooting for on the NON h.o. Motor?

If he's already pulling 8000 ish rpm at 12 psi adding 9 grams isn't gunna help him.

88grm!!!! At what elevation?
This sled is ridden at 8-12000 ft above 9000 ft most the time.

What rpm is everyone shooting for on the NON h.o. Motor?

If he's already pulling 8000 ish rpm at 12 psi adding 9 grams isn't gunna help him.

I run 7-11k with that setup..no changes

I really suggest putting in too much weight until you pull that motor down into the 7700 range and then lighten up till you get back to 8000(or a little under). If you put an ho pipe on that motor then it likes a lot higher rpm, but not sure if its that much faster all around.

A lot of guys see 8000-8100 indicated on their tach and assume they are good to go, but in reality there is more to be had. For clarification purposes, I use the weights with the magnets in them, that OVS sells.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back