• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TKI BELT DRIVE REVIEW

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
1234809_502885009828731_425942935_n.jpg

Ok so I have installed a TKI BD on my 14 Silber Turbo XM and have run it now for 250 miles. And WOW is this kit awesome!

The install is very straight foreword. In fact the included instructions are the most detailed I have ever seen. I am sub par when it comes to wrenching and I could easily follow the instructions and install this kit.

Each step in the process has been photographed and included in the instruction manual. Tells exactly what tool to use and included a pic of the tool even.

My only issue was getting the stock sensor cap out of the drive shaft. What a pain these are to remove. I damaged mine during the process but no matter because the kit come with its own sensor "cap".

What I really like about the kit is the ability to easily change the gear ratio. I went with a 2.33 but also picked up a smaller and larger gear.

The 2.33 really seemed to be the perfect fit for my SIlber turbo'd sled. The RPM's were floating about 400 RPM's before installing the kit. I was thinking I may have a clutch spring going soft but after installing the kit it held dead nuts on 7900 in the deepest of snow.

I am getting consistent 65 MPH track speed while sidehilling deep heavy snow. And it had a top recorded speed of 112 (probably while spinning track to get unstuck). It also increased the throttle response making it extremely "snappy" to my throttle inputs.

I did not do the "weigh the difference" thing but it is easy to tell this kits shaves several pounds...without even getting into that whole rotating mass thing.

Honestly I was a bit skeptical about the belt drive and its advantages. I had some money left in my build budget and was wondering where it would best be spent. After 250 miles I am really glad that I decided to go this route!

If you do go this route make sure to check deflection after the first ride. Not sure if the belt stretches or what but it needed to be adjusted after the first ride...but has been fine since.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Good to hear, I recently blew the chain on my 872 and it took the chaincase with it so I've been considering this kit.

May I ask where you got it?

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Thats what got me moving in that direction too. I broke the chain on my 12 XP and had to abandon it in the backcountry.

I bought it direct from TKI. The owner Tom answered the phone and took the time to field my questions. Even directed me to a few of his customers to get an outsiders opinion.

http://www.tkicnc.com/ski-doo-dynodrive/

Reactions: Ron Burgandy
T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
does the performance out match the cost?

did you pick up any track speed or are we talking about 2 miles per hour advantage over a chain case?

just curious to know if it is a cool kids club thing or actually any performance gains for the money.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
How to put a price on a mod is always a tough question.

The standard 100$ to "lose a pound" could be used to make up at least half of the 800 dollar price tag. I believe it is between 4-5 pounds of weight loss.

Then someone smarter than me can explain the advantages of spinning less mass.

I changed gearing so I did see a jump in track speed and there is a noticeable difference in throttle response. When riding the trees it is a big time advangtage to have the track spinning when you want it to..quickly and at a high rate of speed too!

For my $$ the gains matched or passed expectations.

Reactions: diamonddave

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I have had a lot of shrubbery on that side of the sled from the side panel vent. Seems like it should have a full gaurd with mesh on the upper portion for venting. Maybe it is not a problem but if twigs and branches get in their it seems like it will keep grinding them up. The polaris and cmx drives I've ran were open so the stuff could get away. I have a couple of buddies that have the tki and have had no problems. It is just something I wondered about.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I have ran the TKI for 400 trouble free miles and I too love the flexibility of changing gears. The belt will stretch (aka break in) the first few miles but once you have done that it is a solid set up! The instruction are straight forward and an easy conversion and you can go back to stock chain case if you prefer when you are up for trading your sled. Any question and Tom will gladly answer them for you. About the only thing you can do wrong with this kit is not get it and regret it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tudizzle

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
So, I'm not sure if this matters to any of you who've done various mods to your sled to lighten it up but so much of the weight loss occurs on the right side of the sled. There is still the significant weight of the clutch assembly. Seems like the balance gets thrown off considerably.

Are you guys adjusting your suspension to counteract the imbalance of sprung weight on the left versus right side of your sleds?

I ended up putting the stock muffler back on my 2013 XM and the sled is more balanced. The dB is also a bit more bearable. :)

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
that was a huge concern...so I threw on a turbo to "balance" the weight.

:face-icon-small-coo

I was wondering how much that helped from a weight perspective. By the way, I'm just curious and not 'dissing' the power-adding mods at all. :cool:

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID

I have one and love it.
Customer Service, fantastic.

I have around 800 miles on it, no issues at all.
Customer Service is great.

Tom was great to deal with.

TRUDOO

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2008
Donnelly, ID
FYI. I just tried to get on TKI website and my antiVirus found a couple of threats and would not let me on the website. One of the threats was "Exploit Blackhat SEO type 1720"

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
1234809_502885009828731_425942935_n.jpg

Ok so I have installed a TKI BD on my 14 Silber Turbo XM and have run it now for 250 miles. And WOW is this kit awesome!

The install is very straight foreword. In fact the included instructions are the most detailed I have ever seen. I am sub par when it comes to wrenching and I could easily follow the instructions and install this kit.

Each step in the process has been photographed and included in the instruction manual. Tells exactly what tool to use and included a pic of the tool even.

My only issue was getting the stock sensor cap out of the drive shaft. What a pain these are to remove. I damaged mine during the process but no matter because the kit come with its own sensor "cap".

What I really like about the kit is the ability to easily change the gear ratio. I went with a 2.33 but also picked up a smaller and larger gear.

The 2.33 really seemed to be the perfect fit for my SIlber turbo'd sled. The RPM's were floating about 400 RPM's before installing the kit. I was thinking I may have a clutch spring going soft but after installing the kit it held dead nuts on 7900 in the deepest of snow.

I am getting consistent 65 MPH track speed while sidehilling deep heavy snow. And it had a top recorded speed of 112 (probably while spinning track to get unstuck). It also increased the throttle response making it extremely "snappy" to my throttle inputs.

I did not do the "weigh the difference" thing but it is easy to tell this kits shaves several pounds...without even getting into that whole rotating mass thing.

Honestly I was a bit skeptical about the belt drive and its advantages. I had some money left in my build budget and was wondering where it would best be spent. After 250 miles I am really glad that I decided to go this route!

If you do go this route make sure to check deflection after the first ride. Not sure if the belt stretches or what but it needed to be adjusted after the first ride...but has been fine since.
Anyone know if the top gear is all aluminum or steel?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
There is a cover for the bottom cog. I'm really happy with the tki beltdrive I have, nice quality, solid design! Works very well.

As far as the balance of the sled comment, haven't we been lightning up that side of the sled for years? Yah stiffen up the other side to compensate for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Anyone know if the top gear is all aluminum or steel?

Top gear is all aluminium. I know c3 had issues with their aluminium top gear. I know a fellow in my area that beats the hell out of his tki kit. Last I talked to him he had 1500 miles on his and a lot of hard full throttle landings with a 3".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: byeatts
Premium Features