• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on the 6.0 Powerstroke

I had a '05 6.0 litre lariat that i bought new. beautiful truck but nothing but problems. stay away if your on a budget the problems never end.

I have an 04 excursion that I bought new ,,1 trans at 75 K One turbo at 105k had warranty till 155k then removed egr and new oil cooler and 4 inch turbo back limit boost to 30psi and now has 200k 14.5 mpg towing a car hauler, unless it burns to the ground I will never get rid of this truck!

If your on a budget don't buy a diesel, even the 99-02 dodge is a pain, the motor is great but the truck (ball joints etc..) is a basket. The Duramax is great but when it comes to fixing one, you throw out a thousand like you would hundreds on a gas'r.

BTW, What is your budget.

1. You pay more for a diesel...you have better resale with a diesel.
2. If you tow alot heavy diesel trucks are unbeatable for towing. Gas will not come close. Even guys bragging about their half ton toyota gassers - ok compare that to a 8000 lb long bed F350 for stability/control pulling loaded trailers...or slowing them down mountains or controlling them on a icy highway. Done both - no comparison.
3. Gassers are cheaper and are adequate towing if sitting in a heavy long bed truck - i.e. V10 in a long bed 3/4 or one ton crew.
4. Costs in repair/upkeep. Well if you are someone driving their 1997 7.3 L F350 crew long bed wih 300,000 miles and never touched the engine I would say you came out cheaper than if you were on your third gasser since 1997. But if you got a crap 6.0 L diesel and receipts for 10,000 in repairs with less than 50,000 miles then welcome to the dice roll of the 6.0. I have a 6.0 with 80,000 miles with turbo change under waranty and no problems since (knock on my forehead) and a 6.7 with 30,000 miles (no problems so far). But that 6.7 cost a fortune upfront!
5. If I were to do over again I probably would go with a good shape low mileage used duramax. Fewer bad dmax stories compared to the 6.0 and 6.4 Fords. 6.7 L Ford looks promising but are some reports of engine failures and given new in 2011 are stll expensive and long term unproven (by anyone other than Ford propaganda). I just had to have another Ford for some reason so went with it but I would go with the duramax if buying used or new right now.

I currently own 7.3l, 6.0l, 6.4l, and 6.7l diesel, I am some what of a ford fan. I will say that I will NEVER own another 6.0l I have had 5 of them and only 1 never required any significant repair. Hands down if given the option on only being able to have a 6.0l diesel or 5.4l gas I would take the gas every single time and smile every time a diesel passed me on the road knowing that I didn't buy the 6.0l and I was going to make it out sledding.

Until the last couple of 6.7l I bought I was seriously considering going back to gas motors, with the lack of power and fuel mileage that 6.0 & 6.4 were putting out. I prefer to run stock trucks and keep them under warranty and reliable as possible.

Just my 2 cents but I would stay away from the 6.0l.

I would stay with the 99-03 7.3 or 98 12 valve Cummins. I would stick with the manual tranny in both if it was me.

I had an 01 Cummins. Was a great truck, and they don't have the problems that the 6.0 has, but the VP44 injection pump isn't the best. The stock lift pumps are junk.

IMO, 98 12 valve is one of the best trucks. Or step into a 3rd gen. I had an 03 Cummins and it was a way nicer truck then the 01.

02-04 Duramaxes are pretty good if they already had the injectors done.

The 6.0 is a nightmare. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I had one!

I just bought an 04 6.0 with 68000 miles...I did some research and purchased a 5yr/54,000 mile warranty....THANK GOD!! 42 miles from the dealer, both head gaskets blew...they had to replace both heads...paid for the warranty first day out! Did the updated bolts and egr delete and the updated fuel spring...hopefully it will be better after this! Two weeks + downtime and it's still not done...seems to be a big mistake.

My 05 6.0 was a nightmare! 8 grand in warrenty work at 100k. Put a 106,000 on it. The last 6000 cost me 4 grand out of pocket. I now own a mint 2000 f350 7.3 that i picked up in texas 2 yr's ago. Just turned 100k. Will have for 10 more yr's. Don't buy a 6.0

Wait for it......wait for it........ I love my 6.0! Maintenance is KEY! Many guys throw a tuner and other power adders on them, and drag race everything that comes along....its no wonder guys have problems. I not saying the motor doesn't have its issues, I just think doing the scheduled maintenance and using some common sense goes a long way.

For what its worth......I have been running and SCT X3 programmer from IDP since the truck had about 200 miles on it, I also have 4" Bully Dog turbo back exhaust. I use it almost every day to pull my small excav8ter or my rubber track skid steer too. The trailer I pull (loaded) weighs right around 11,000lbs.

Wait for it......wait for it........ I love my 6.0! Maintenance is KEY! Many guys throw a tuner and other power adders on them, and drag race everything that comes along....its no wonder guys have problems. I not saying the motor doesn't have its issues, I just think doing the scheduled maintenance and using some common sense goes a long way.

Yeah, but throwing a tuner on the "other 2" and racing at every stoplight may cost you a trans or clutch, but the engine will hold together unless you really start fooling with it.
With the 6.0, you'll be throwing money at the trans AND engine!
Like the others said, unless you get one that has had studs, egr delete, etc done to it, plan to drop $2k DIY or $4-5k at a shop to make it a reliable engine.
He!!, I got a loaner 05 6.0 from Hertz equipment several years ago to make a family trip cross country with our ski boat. Figgered, cool, more power and better mileage than my half ton (at the time). Had about 20k mi on it, bone stock. It made it from Albq to Lake of the Ozarks and about 3/4 of the way back before it cut loose! Awesome truck!:face-icon-small-fro

That said, I'd buy one if it was a deal AND had the right repairs done to it.

Premium Features

Back