• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on the 6.0 Powerstroke

D

D7-Ryder

Guys i lookin to buy a new truck and im lookin at dodge and ford. Was wondering general thought was on the 6.0 powerstroke? Whats Years to stay away from. Im trying to find that 7.3 Gem, with low miles but its hard to find.

Also, buying used, what do you think is the most miles i should consider?

thanks for your help.

If a 6.0 has all the mods like head studs, EGR delete, new oil cooler, cat removed and isn't a lifted monster it is probably going to be good. I work on these every day and have seen ones with 300K and still strong and ones with under 100K and be a nightmare. 7.3 is good but the automatics are weak. 08 and up 6.4 is good once you remove the DPF system.

If a 6.0 has all the mods like head studs, EGR delete, new oil cooler, cat removed and isn't a lifted monster it is probably going to be good. I work on these every day and have seen ones with 300K and still strong and ones with under 100K and be a nightmare. 7.3 is good but the automatics are weak. 08 and up 6.4 is good once you remove the DPF system.
Thanks for your help. Unfortunetly my budget isnt letting me buy to new so if its a ford, im look at 99-03, if its dodge im lookin at 98-02. Im trying to find the best deal for low miles. Is there some things i should look for when test driving and lookin at one.

Good advice here. The 6.0 was not a good choice from the factory, but it can be made to be reasonably reliable. But there you have more money to invest. Any reason youre not considering a GM diesel?

I have a 04 6.0L and it has been in the shop many times. New Turbo, Egr cooler, oil cooler, injectors you name it. Most recently new headgaskets and ARP headstuds and a Egr delete. When it runs it runs I love the trk hopefully i am out of the headache zone now!

Lots of utube vidios from a guy with a repair shop, his web site is powerstrokehelp.com he outlines how to bulletproof all the ford diesels. Lots of interesting stuff.

Agreed. I was lucky enough to have ford cover all the above. the egr twice, the heads once, a few injectors and the bedplate gaskets once. Had them install studs a few years back and the delete earlier this year.
I wouldn't ever buy one without warranty, too much BS.

If you can live with having a 6.0 there are some great deals on them because of their reputation.

I picked up an 06 extended cab 4x4 cab and chassis dually last year for my business and am very happy with it. I have lots of different diesels and have learned over the years not to believe the internet hype about problems with any particular one. Honestly, they all are pretty much the same if you leave them stock.

Stray clear of the 6.0, unless you have about 4-5k to drop into it after you buy! This coming from a guy who owned one and had two others in the family, all junk. And i am a diehard ford guy!

I personal would NEVER buy another 6.0L. Had a 05 bought it with 75000 only had it for 17 months sold it at 103000. them 28000 miles cost me over $11000 in repairs. Egr, Head gaskets, High pressure pump, New computer, and many small reapirs. Nothing but a head ache. I know there is a few good ones out there but not many.

I LOVE THE 6.0 FORD I MAKE A LOT OF MONEY ON THEM THEY ARE THE BIGGEST PROBLEM MTR IH EVER MADE..

I have a 06 with 94,000 miles on it and the only issue has been the FICM. Seems like the 06 and 07s are better. Stay away from the early engines. I am happy with my 6.0, but kick myself for not buying a 7.3L with a manual trans before I bought my 04 gasser. I love my truck and plan on running it for another five years. I put on 20,000 + miles a year since moving three years ago.

Last edited:
ive had two 2003's and the only problems ive had are batteries and alternator on both of them..ive drove my current setup for 50,000 miles and its been perfect. my previous setup i drove for 40,000 and it was perfect, until i totalled it.

the bottom line is do your homework when you buy a 6.0...i looked for months before buying both of mine cause you need to weed through all the junk..get carfax and most importantly get a oasis report from a dealer.

on both ive done exhaust, tuner, and gauges..ran all synthetic oil..took very good care and theyve lasted..the bottom line is dont just go out and buy one cuase it looks pretty, do your homework and you will be happy with what you purchase.

oh and once you straight pipe a 2003 6.0 youll never want to give it up:thumb:

I think there's about 4 lemons to every 5 gems. Just got rid of a 05 excursion with 6.0. had 175xxx and counting and ran like a charm and never really had any major problems. Turbo was starting to get weak but thats about it.

If you can live with having a 6.0 there are some great deals on them because of their reputation.

I picked up an 06 extended cab 4x4 cab and chassis dually last year for my business and am very happy with it. I have lots of different diesels and have learned over the years not to believe the internet hype about problems with any particular one. Honestly, they all are pretty much the same if you leave them stock.

NOT TRUE!!!!! i think the 6.0 powerstroke actually has MORE problems than the internet "hype" about them. THey are junk without studs and egr delete. then you still have to worry about the veins in the turbo, the oil cooler clogging, oil pump leaking, FICM going bad, ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

Buy a Dodge and never look back,500000 miles and will have only regular maintance,look at there track record can't go wrong and if you want more power just add to It as the money comes in.

Premium Features

Back