• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This is the real deal. Stay off Hills.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
W

WXNic

Dec 8, 2007
bountiful
amen to all, just had a new baby, you would have to be completely selfish to even think about taking the risk.

Reactions: Walter

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
thanks for the read and info.

I don't even ride Utah, but it was an eye opener to see those columns fail before they were columns.

You guys make sure and play it safe....rather not see a post with one of your names over in General.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Good post actually very scary and we just got more today to add to the problems.

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
I was worried about this. I did not know about the rain crust. But all those clear cold nights after the storms in October must have created a terrible faceted layer. The bad thing is that this will be around for a long time and it means later, when there is more snow, it can break ALL THE WAY down....darn it....

Karl

A
Apr 8, 2008
Bountiful, UT
I have been real worried all week about avys after seeing the snow pack last weekend. Anyone read the report for the Wasatch today? Pretty much said it is going to be a miracle if noone is killed or buried this weekend.

Keep it safe guys, lets not make it one of us. I know I am staying in the trees (or on the trail depending on conditions) and away from the hills.

This isn't just in the UT riding areas either. While riding the southern end of the BTNF, north of Kemmerer, WY over T-Day weekend we encountered numerous northern aspects with a thick ice layer near ground layer. There wasn't enough snow then for it to be a real problem, but I'm curious to get home next week and see how our snowpack is now.

We like to frequent the Uintas out of Evanston/Bear River side, this year may be a stay-at-home range year.

Everyone be careful, like to get the chance to meet some of you on the hill and surely don't want to hear/read about any sledder being hurt.

Excellent post SH

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
The Good- The Bad - and The Ugly.

Rode up a Fairview Canyon today.

the Good news is --"no ice layer":):)

the bad new's --"zero base" had to stay on the trails. :(

Oh yeah i'm still kinda frost-bite Ugly.:cool:

peace out,

johnny

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Stay off the hills!!!

Went riding up Wolfcreek today. Not much snow in the parking lot but when you get up high there is quite a bit of snow. We were riding along the road and I cut this small avy just by going on the road below the hill. Not a big hill, only 20 feet or so, but really shows just how dangerous the big hills are right now. You can see how this broke on top of the ice layer and slid down. The ice is almost half an inch thick. I have never seen anything like this before. Be careful out there guys and gals. Those hills will be tempting to climb but just don't do it.

Photo0070.jpg
[/IMG]

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Phatty, I'm not saying that this condition will not improve with some time but it will be a week layer for the rest of the season. I remember about 4 years ago we had a very similar situation. I did most of my riding in the Fairview area and there were several slides that year and every one of them was down to the dirt because of that first ice layer. There were slides all year long and we disciplned ourselves to stay off the steep hills that year. One of my riding partners was buried in a slide near Radio Tower a few years ago when the avalanche danger was low on that day. He hit a small hill that had been pounded all year and it finally broke loose. He was buried for thirty minutes before he was rescued. They had to perform CPR on him three times to keep him alive before Life Flight arrived. Needles to say, his personality will never be the same. I had left that group 15 minutes before that because they were parked at Co-Op and I was parked at Strawberry River. That day changed the way I will ride the steeps hills forever. We still climb depending on the conditions but we spend much more time boondocking now.

And I agree, any slope with this icy layer will slide. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. And that is the scary part... who knows if it already has, or when it will... I just hope that the facets are destroyed in the slides because if not the cycle will start all over again...

I watched a massive slide on a north slope at 10,000 feet today... guess what layer it slid on? :eek:

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Thats some scary $hit! Thanks for the refresher before i go nuts. Time to boondock it looks like.:D

Premium Features