• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TekVest, Moto-x body armor, / etc..

Added more that stock Thor on the rear spine area also...

If your a mountain rider,, g'head and get the Tekvest for the non-puncture properties, so if you get run over... But if for accident protection from impact,, Tekvest WAY to flimsy and thin...

I trail ride,, and 1/2 my rides are witha very fast group,, our problems are tree impacts, and on coming riders. So front crash is the only focus.

Really? I have had my chest thumped pretty damn hard by my bars and broke nothing cept the bars. Now I'd put my life in my TekVest anyday over the plastic motocross style roost guards. Any protection is better than none but I can swear to you that my Klim TeKVest is in no way flimsy.

Really? I have had my chest thumped pretty damn hard by my bars and broke nothing cept the bars. Now I'd put my life in my TekVest anyday over the plastic motocross style roost guards. Any protection is better than none but I can swear to you that my Klim TeKVest is in no way flimsy.

Exactly! It's not like we just putter along out in the mountains. I'd be willing to bet there are far more things to get us in trouble than riding on a trail. Any one of a zillion tree limbs could puncture/impale a person, or parts of the sled, etc.

Heck, a lot of us have to ride the trails to the areas where we hop off to get to the goods (and on the way back out). If you think there isn't some cruising speed there, or anywhere else, you'd be mistaken.

Yes, some protection is better than none. I'll stick with my Klim TekVest (which has saved me in multiple occasions), and the hubby has a BWear (he took out his bars too). Definitely have proven to be lifesavers over and over for a whole lot of people. :)

After 3 cracked ribs I wont ride without a Tek-Vest. It also has the added benefit of spreading out the weight of you ABS back over your entire shoulder making it MUCH more comfortable.

I am also a Tek Vest believer!!! I have smacked my bars hard, and have only had the air knocked out of me, I know I would have broke a rib or 2. For the gals, when I was at Haydays this year the owner of Tek Vest showed me that you have to roll the plastic for the "girls", mind you I am not heavy on the top end, but did need a bit of a better fit. The shoulders hold my back pack off my colar bones and rides comfortabley!!!

Anybody use the Optional Shoulder Pads for the Tek Vest? How do they attach? Do they interfere with your movement.?

shoulder_pads.jpg

I prefer my Thor roost guard over a tek vest. The difference in mobility is very minor & the times my thor has saved me I can't even count!

How does it handle the cold with impacts? I have a Thor for single track in the summer and have bounced a lot of branches off my chest and it hold up, just always thought it wouldn't like the cold so much.

I just started wearing a tekvest this season and I cant believe how much I love it. Unreal how much it will soak up. I hit a big jump and landed flat in a hole. Basically stopped dead in my tracks. Hit so hard that it bent my my handlebars into my gauges. Didnt hurt a bit.

Plus it just feels awesome to wear. Feel more supportive or something. Plus it makes your backpack feel WAY lighter for some reason. Best money Ive spent in a while.

I also just started with a Tekvest this year and I am glad that I did. The fit is great and I feel more supported and protected wearing it, and it works! I hit a rock in field last week and took an off @ around 40 mph onto my upper back/shoulders and never felt a thing. The ribbing from my buddies was way worse than the crash :lol:. Great product and you can find them new on Ebay for a decent discount if they have your size.

How does it handle the cold with impacts? I have a Thor for single track in the summer and have bounced a lot of branches off my chest and it hold up, just always thought it wouldn't like the cold so much.

I've slammed the couple I've had many times, and never a shatter, crack, or break. I COULD see someone riding in -20 having a very different story though, but a couple of the guys I know wear theirs under their outer layer, so it wouldn't get to those temps... I wear mine on the outside. Even if it DID break, it would have already absorbed more impact than a tek vest.

Armour_Thor_Force_S9_S10_Illusion_.jpg

This is the one I wear, it has foam against the rider, and dual layer plastic on the outside, also it articulates in a few spots, so it's pretty comfy.

Either way something is better than nothing, but hassling the guy who has MORE protection than you is kinda retarded imo, this, a pressure suit, a tek vest, whatever. They'll ALL minimize injury, and that's all we hope for, some just have different strong points than others.
I've broken two bulkheads, 4 posts, been in a slide, crashed many times, and slammed into more trees than I can count with one of these & not a problem or any damage to the unit.

Btw, you can remove the shoulder pads if you want. I just started riding with a LEATT brace & needed to do that to comfortably attach the brace, even the pads on my new Klim jacket put the brace too high for me to keep them.

^^^^

Very similar to mine. I have the Quadrant I think. Basically yours without shoulder pads. Thanks for the info, might have to give it a shot if I ever get my sled finished.

To compete in an ISR racing event, full upper body protection is mandatory. Furthermore, the upper body protection must wrap around the entire torso. This final requirement eliminates motocross chest protectors. By wrapping around the torso, the sides of your body are covered. Motocross protectors also have been known to be "spit" off the driver by the impacting article.

Anyway, like we say in the Russian Marines "dress for the crash, not for the ride."

550IQ, what do you mean by "spit"?

I would hope that any mountain rider is wearing a backpack, so if you mean coming off, I don't see that happening in our particular situation.

Either way... broken ribs are PRICEY! Ruptured spleens... EXPENSIVE as hell!!!!

Last edited:
550IQ, what do you mean by "spit"?

I would hope that any mountain rider is wearing a backpack, so if you mean coming off, I don't see that happening in our particular situation.

Either way... broken ribs are PRICEY! Ruptured spleens... EXPENSIVE as hell!!!!

The motocross vest I have is only held on the body by two plastic snaps. These vests have come off riders in extreme tramatic crashes. These types of protective vests just are not designed for our snowmobile needs. When a TEK vest is on and it will not just fly off a rider no matter how extreme the crash. Anyway, upper body protection in any fashion is better than, like you say, broken ribs and ruptured organs (especially 50 miles from the truck). Ride safe.

Premium Features

Back