• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stupid Throttle Block Design

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
A trick a buddynof mine does is takes the flipper off and removes one of the washers from where the pin goes through

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: braapin

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
A trick a buddynof mine does is takes the flipper off and removes one of the washers from where the pin goes through
I wonder if adding more vertical play to the lever would be helpful or just add more area for snow to pack in?

Just installed the MVM NXT LVL block... looking forward to testing.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
It's a horrble design, ices up in powder even with the warmers off.. the lever packs the snow between the block and lever and keeps applying more throttle, I have to chip it out with a knife multiple times every ride..
I've gone to a munster throttle this year to get away from it, if you don't like it as a finger throttle just flip it around and use with the thumb ?
Can't agree more that an updated throttle block and lever is WAY overdue.

Reactions: JH@CM

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
The finger throttle is very preferential. I think it's terrible for a novice/intermediate rider who might grip harder naturally with their index finger when panicked, which has been proven to cause really bad outcomes.

All I'm asking for is a stock throttle that's SAFE. Come on Polaris...

Reactions: Winshady

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Jetskis have been running trigger finger throttles for more than 30 years. Time to get with the times.

Absolutely! Having ripped stand up jets skis for years, it was a natural change to run a finger throttle on sleds. Purists will always disagree that a flapper is superior.

End of the day, to each their own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Good responses flowing here guys.

I just don't understand why the known issue (since 2013?) hasn't been resolved by Polaris.

Yes we can find ways to mitigate the problem, but the sled should be able to run safely in deep snow with cold weather and stock hand/thumb warmers running without issue. This is not user error.
if this is a known issue how come i haven't experienced it in the last 9 years for riding. is there something different in the throttle block that i am missing ?

• Haha
Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
It has happened to me for years. If 2' or more of blower pow and cold temps and Heated grips on = iced up throttle that needs constant vigilance to not stick open. I will turn off my heated grips, but then the fingers get cold.

Reactions: mtncat1

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have to admit that Cat and Doo have upped their game in that dept while Polaris hasn't changed the block since about 2010. I expect we wil see a new design in 23 but thought it would have made it to the Matryx already. I think they should have left the brake alone and done a better throttle block. I have been testing a throttle block wrap that covers the flipper hinge area and so far it has been working great. As my group run the Phantom Teth-Airs, my wrap also wraps around it and is of clear vinyl so we can still see the LED. If it works out I may make them it 2 styles, one for guys with and guys without a Phantom. The idea is just to put snaps on them for quick install.

C
Jan 14, 2020
Dont see many trees or bushes on a lake

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Sheeeeesh no one makes handguards and munster certainly does not make a guard specifically to guard from brush and tree impacts. Also, no one has a lanyard or anything. ??

You can dislike the trigger all you want. It gives 2x the steering control and grip strength of trying to use a thumb, and way more throttle input sensitivity.

Flapperfreeks is what i'll start calling yall.

C
Jan 14, 2020
I switched to finger throttle last season felt right at home after racing stand ups for 20 plus years. Going to get one for my slash soon mines iced up a few times and won’t idle down
Haha you were a cheatin hydrospace racer back in the day? Im still running sport spec on a wb1 and sxr for lites stock.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Haha you were a cheatin hydrospace racer back in the day? Im still running sport spec on a wb1 and sxr for lites stock.
Lol yup raced all the brands and tried to hold out as long as I could then gave into the hydro . Back on all kawis again one 1500 and one smoker 800 stock lites boat . The finger threottle on the sled was no brainer . Huge improvement on grip and control

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Sheeeeesh no one makes handguards and munster certainly does not make a guard specifically to guard from brush and tree impacts. Also, no one has a lanyard or anything. ??

You can dislike the trigger all you want. It gives 2x the steering control and grip strength of trying to use a thumb, and way more throttle input sensitivity.

Flapperfreeks is what i'll start calling yall.
The standard flipper gives more grip strength obviously. If you consider hanging on under accelleration, up hill all the forces are throwing you backwards and 4 fingers to hold on are way stronger than a partially open hand with only 3 fingers. Comiing downhill I agree a closed thumb is stronger but honestly this is not near the forces as climbing.

Reactions: sledhead9825
Premium Features