• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spot

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Been using it for a year now, works great, i use it year round, dirt bikeing, hunting, and sledding

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I'll stick with a radio.

Biggest thing I have against SPOT in an emergency is that it's a one-way pager. No way of relaying information as far as what type of emergency, how many involved, response needed, or other helpful information to responders. I can do that with a two-way.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Even if the 911 is not that desirable I think it still has great features. I also like radios, and Spot will give a live location via Google Maps and Cell Text. I have used mine all summer on my MX Bike marking new areas. I will do the same during the winter. Takes the guess work out of wondering where you went on your ride. Google alone is awesome but adding Spot is far better. I have not had 1 connection issue yet. But I guess that all depends on your surroundings.
Get one, you'll love it.:D

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
spot is great, I use it year round in all kinds of conditions.
Works always when used properly. Most who have problems usually have the device in a pack or not pointed the appropriate way for the required time period...read the directions and you will have no problems.

You can leave a preset message to be sent in case of emergencies. I include the name of everyone in the group, contact information and what type of activity we are engaged in.

Rememer if you get the Search and Rescue insurance that comes with it, it only covers the registered owner of the device.

Throttle-Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
www.leekseeker.com
Use one and sell them. In my opinion, it's just one more thing to have to save your a$$ when you're in a pickle. I too carry a radio and use both. My wife loves the tracking feature when we're out sledding. It gives her peace of mind. I also use the tracking feature to see where I went that day. For $169.00, it's cheap insurance.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
So I see they are selling for under a $100 delivered plus the $150 activation fee for a year.

Know of any great deals out there below $100

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I paid $150. Never seen one cheaper. You better jump on that deal.

Actually just bought a couple on EBAY for $90 each delivered.

Several "seasonal" summertime hiking shops are getting rid of them. I suspect dealer cost is between $75 to $125.

Some people are selling them with a starting price of 99 cents. But it seems most end up selling for around $100.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
Actually just bought a couple on EBAY for $90 each delivered.

Several "seasonal" summertime hiking shops are getting rid of them. I suspect dealer cost is between $75 to $125.

Some people are selling them with a starting price of 99 cents. But it seems most end up selling for around $100.

thanks i just made a bid on one hope to pick up for under a 100$

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Well I just got one a few weeks ago. It seemd to work fine when I used it last week. I got it mainly for the fact that my wife can see that I am ok while out riding. Now she doesn't have to worry about me all day. She can get on my account and watch me in real time. It shows her the time the track sent out an how long ago it was along with the locations. Its more of a piece of mind device for me but also a great tool incase something does happen.

Premium Features