• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedwerx Supercharger vs Turbo

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I have a Silber on my 19 and if I could afford the super charger I would switch. Having the Speedwerx kit that is a true runner vs the Silber kit that still doesn't run real well after all the tinkering I've done would be worth the extra cost to me.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Supercharger is awesome imo vs a turbo. The downfalls are price sucks, hard on fuel and intake noise. I have not rode the new kits. Heard the intake noise is better.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I have 14 PC turbo and 17' PC SC. The SC is hard to beat! The SC runs very consistent and has very snappy bottom end but it's hard on fuel especially if you have to run a trail for a ways to the Backcountry compared to the turbo. If I run them both at 7 psi the turbo seems to have more top end pull. I know it takes a lot more weight in the clutch to keep the Rs down on the turbo but my SC has team clutches so maybe that's why?

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
Turbo will usually always have more top end. less horsepower being used to turn it. plus the turbine spins a he** of a ton faster then that of most superchargers. but i ordered one and i am so dang excited about it. haven't heard really a bad thing about them.

S
Jan 20, 2009
Turbo kit is about half the cost and if you are looking for top end power the turbo is the way to go. The only downfall is the tiny bit of response you loose with the turbo. Not worth the extra money to me.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
speedwerx being teamed up with cat have these things dialed in, fueling is perfect! and you get what you pay for as far as kit components go. My buddy has had one when they were in development and was on an M8 (before the proclimb) now he has one on his PC8 that hes put almost 3K miles on it and hasnt touched it.

Ive always been an impulse fan when it comes to turbos, seeing these new cheap turbo kits makes me wonder why people buy these (aside from price obviously). My buddy just did a boondocker on his alpha and its trash. Sled has really slow spoolup with their own turbo, and cheap bearings in them. He had an older garrett he swapped and it spooled WAY faster but the mapping in the sidekick box isnt that great. He sent it to VOHK to see if they can make it any better.

Dont even want to get started on the silber stuff.

And typical turbo vs SC, the SC has more bottom and mid but lacks topend legs, whereas the turbo puts the power curve from mid to top. The SC is a really fun tree and boondocking sled.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
Besides what has been mentioned, a couple other things to think about with a SC are belts and oil.
If you break a belt, can you get one quickly and how much. With the oil, it’s special oil that can be pricey and again depends on availability where you live.

RyanD121

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2011
Grand Junction, CO
I carry an extra belt, but if you don't have an extra, you can pull the intake tube off so air is going straight into the throttle bodies instead of going through the charger and you can ride the sled out naturally aspirated. And Speedwerx ships quick, plan your oil changes accordingly. Oh, and hopefully if you're riding a supercharged sled the price of a small bottle of oil isn't much of an issue... my $.02

Besides what has been mentioned, a couple other things to think about with a SC are belts and oil.
If you break a belt, can you get one quickly and how much. With the oil, it’s special oil that can be pricey and again depends on availability where you live.

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
Havent had any clutch belt issues.
I carry a spare belt as well. Why not for 50.00.

For oil Jeremy from speedwerx told me all I need to run is 0-40 Mobil 1

F

Fack

Nov 28, 2007
The supercharger works really good and never misses a beat. Tons of added bottom end, midrange and top end power. The top end power might be comparable to a 2s turbo, but there’s no comparison everywhere else - not even close.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
The supercharger works really good and never misses a beat. Tons of added bottom end, midrange and top end power. The top end power might be comparable to a 2s turbo, but there’s no comparison everywhere else - not even close.
What do you mean a 2s turbo? Will a 7lb turbo kit run with it or beat it like mid to top end. Obviously bottom end it isn’t going to.

F

Fack

Nov 28, 2007
What do you mean a 2s turbo? Will a 7lb turbo kit run with it or beat it like mid to top end. Obviously bottom end it isn’t going to.
Boost for boost, the supercharger feels like it makes more power bottom to top. That’s a well setup supercharger vs well setup turbos. The supercharger runs really good...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Friend has a 19 supercharged alpha. It's hard on fuel but it runs. I didn't notice the intake noise when I was riding it, but everything is quiet in that department compared to my BDX intake. Sounds like belt intervals will be 400 miles or less and 800 miles on pistons. I was riding it at 9-9500' and it felt like close to 200hp with a lower elevation pulley. He said at Island park around 7000' with that setup when he first got it, it scared him. Ran completely different. He's got a pulley to run up at 9000'+ that's supposed to make it run the 225hp up there and get back to "scary" level. So if you're comparing what runs harder turbo or supercharger it's probably important to note what boost each is making at what elevation.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I had the chance to run a high boost super charger two days ago and as far as throttle response and seat of the pants feel it blew my Silber turbo out of the water. I finally have the turbo running well and the super charger made it look slow. Granted I only run 5 lbs and he is close to 11lbs the instant boost of the SC was almost scary.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I had the chance to run a high boost super charger two days ago and as far as throttle response and seat of the pants feel it blew my Silber turbo out of the water. I finally have the turbo running well and the super charger made it look slow. Granted I only run 5 lbs and he is close to 11lbs the instant boost of the SC was almost scary.
Turn the Turbin boost too at least 8psi and then see what she dose

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
2020 mountain cat SC vs 2020 hardcore silber first hand experience with these two sleds. Silber has the normal bs we all talk about. The sc is pump gas on 93 octane. We had debt code because we have poopy fuel so some booster fixed that.

The silber starts easy when cold.
The speedwerx SC is a BEAST to pull over when cold. Like oh wtf blow my shoulder out sweat jebus what happened.

The SC is having issues with hand Warmers right after it starts. Not enough wattage to supply it all (fuel controller, water pump and Warmers) so have to Rev it up right away to get it charging at the higher rpms and then no warmer code. Seems to be a 2020 thing

Turbo will outrun the SC....... But have to run him Down.
SC is brutal acceleration. Seriously brutal.

SC is LOUD!! The exhaust is loud, the intake is loud it's loud!!!

SC down fall is can't turn down boost for lower elevations and tune IS NOT FOR RACE GAS BLEND OR PURE. and it's expensive. But very complete kit, very nice kit. Be nice if the intake tube was a better fit.

I've been on silber turbo for two seasons now with this season as well the procharger.

Chutes= turbo
Huge bottomless snow = turbo
Only have $4,000= turbo

Every other riding situation (IMO) =SC
That's so far impressions and my opinion of the two. I chose both.
Same price though I'd go with the SC hands down any day

Premium Features