• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest Project Trailer 2015: Building a "MORE" perfect trailer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mid section is mostly installed.
All that remains is the short 45 degree angle change in the nose cone of the trailer.

Will try to get pics posted of everything we have done thus far.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Phase 2, installing the floor.

Unpacking the edge trim
picture.php

Holding two pieces of the edge trim, we slid the SuperGlides into them.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And preassembled all of them this way into a nice stack to be used later.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
then we began laying down the sections where we wanted them to live and bolting them into place.
picture.php

Both the Edge Trim and the SuperGlide itself are HIGHLY FLEXABLE!
This became very important as we had to bolt it down crossing over the transition angle from the rear ramp area into the flat center section of the trailer. Might not be super visible in this photo, but you can see all of the extra screws we put in place to make sure the "Bent" section of both the Trim and the SuperGlide stayed put over the "hump" in the trailer.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Continuing along the length of the trailer when we came to the wheel well we trimed both the Edge Trim and SuperGlide to the proper length and droped in the next section. Both the Edge Trim and the SuperGlides were VERY EASY to trim using a Jigsaw.
picture.php

picture.php

It should be noted that the Mirage Trailer comes PRE-EQUIPPED with a set of glides that cover the wheel wells.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After measuring our 4 sleds for width between the skags on each of the sleds and from the outer edge of the skies, we determined the proper offset from the trailer wall and were able to use a simple construction ruler to keep our side spacing correct. Simple and fast!

Could just as easily laid down a chalk like or used a grease pencil.
picture.php

picture.php

Trailer decorations!
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is as far as we got on phase 2.
Track is laid from the rear ramp forward to the edge of the nosecone.
Next step will be to lay down the 45 degree angle "Turn" from straight to the exit ramp in the front.

Hope to get that done this week.

picture.php

Now a couple NOTES.

NOTE!
All of the SuperGlides are FREE FLOATING inside of the Edge Trim.
That means I can push at one end of the trailer and 28ft away ALL of the glides move!

The glides MUST be bolted down in place at both ends to secure them from moving!

Silly me.
We didn't do that right away not knowing just how easily the glides could move. Drove a sled into the trailer, caught the glide and SHOT it out the other end!!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Live and Learn.
But the nice thing is that that allows for the natural expansion and contraction of the plastic guides from changes in temp.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

picture.php

This picture shows just how much free play the glides have when they are unsecured in the Edge Trim.
Once the screws go down at the front and back of the Edge Trim they will be more or less locked into position for the duration.
We have not done that YET as we are not sure where the final trim line will be at the front to match up with the 45 Degree left turn to get to the exit ramp.
picture.php

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, I think I'm getting the edge rail trim.

Color options? Black or just natural?

studboy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Nokomis,SK
Im a little late to the thread but it looks great. Another good idea i have seen is guys that spray foam the underside of the trailers. It helps with holding heat in and protecting the cross members from rocks and salt,etc. Now to get them to build it for $10,000 less so i can afford one.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
QUESTION ON TRAILER SHIMMY?

F250 Shortbed Truck pulling a 30ft trailer.

Really been noticing that the truck is "Hunting" left and right quite a bit when pulling this trailer going down the highway at highway speeds. Especially so when another large vehicle passes me.

I am thinking it might be time to install an Anti-Sway Weight Distribution system.

Am I the only person experiencing this??

Considering this.
http://www.andersenhitches.com/catalog/andersen-nosway-weight-distribution-hitch.aspx

WD%20Hitch%204-in%20no%20frame,%20bgd.jpg

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-FhIEc62mKA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

After 2-years of development and road-testing, Andersen Hitches releases their new Anti-Sway, Anti-Bounce Weight Distribution Hitch. Instead of just improving on current models, Andersen completely redesigned Weight Distribution...leaving the competition in the dust.

The Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch available with 4" or 8" drop/rise doesn't just raise the bar, it sets it --changing the industry forever!
Combining modern materials, technology and innovation, it's the simplest, quietest, and most advanced weight distribution hitch on the road today. This is a first in the industry giving trailer owners the best anti-sway AND anti-bounce with the only true Motion-Dampening™ system around.
People are shocked at how smooth and quiet the ride is compared to anything else out on the market today!

Weighing in under 60 lbs, this good-looking but tough work horse is rated up 14,000 lbs GTWR (1400 lbs tongue) to handle your heavy-duty trailer needs. It also doubles as a standard ball mount if you have the need to tow without any weight distribution.

Backed by a lifetime warranty, it's the only choice for total anti-sway, anti-bounce weight distribution!

Look at all of these advantages
Unparalleled Sway Control that self-adjusts according to load
So quiet you won't even know it's there!
Drastically reduces BOUNCE using our patented Motion-Dampening™ system!
2" or 2-5/16" ball included –no extras to buy
Fits all standard 2" receivers.
One-pin removal from tow vehicle
Grease-free system –ball and coupler move as one
Easy install –no spring bars needed!
Available for 3", 4", 4-3/8, 5", 6"and 8" trailer frames
4" or 8" drop/rise adjustable shank available
Doubles as standard ball mount for towing without weight distribution
The smoothest ride around - owners are saying they can't believe it!
No problem backing up –unlike many other weight distribution hitches
Weighs under 60lbs!
Lifetime Warranty (limited)
14,000 lbs GTWR 2-5/16" ball, 10,000 lbs GTWR 2" ball • 1,400 lbs tongue weight

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
This is just my experience so please don't read it as being snide:

My buddy had a 30' mirage and it was a nightmare to pull. F350 long bed was slightly better than the short bed but we had many white knuckle trips with it. About 70mph it would start getting the death whips. If we loaded the tongue super heavy it was BETTER, but by no means good. I got my 30' charmac and it pulls straight as an arrow at any freeway speed. The guy with the 30' mirage was following me to a race and called after about 30 miles and said "I can't believe how straight that things pulls!" He sold his mirage a couple months later and bought a 30' charmac.

The charmac does have a LOT of tongue weight as the axles are pretty far back so it would squat my f250 short bed quite a bit. So I traded the 250 in on a used f450 and it is perfect combo imo.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
To be honest I expected that you already had a weight distribution hitch for it.

Did you have any issues with last years trailer or just with this one? I think you would be amazed at how well those hitches work. Never used one until I started pulling bumper pull campers and they really keep everything under control when using a shorter truck. I noticed more from them when pulling with a short bed then a long bed or dually. I bet you can find a local hitch company that would barrow/rent one to you to try out.

Premium Features