• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowest 858 Pod Cast!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Will be interesting to see what they say after riding sleds that are broke in and have the current calibration. The sleds in the latest videos are night and day compared to the demo sleds I rode. Even considering that, the contrast between the 6 podcast and the 858 was crazy. I knew right away something was off on the demo sleds. They should have known that too.

AC better have some knowledgable people in Jackson next week. There will be a grilling at the hill climb. 😁

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The prototype at Dynotech showed some good torque numbers and broad. Once delivered next fall clutch it accordingly and run it.

The podcasters did qualify their reviews, to their credit, by acknowledging these were prototypes, but the rubber meets the snow next year so withhold judgement. I'm a show me guy so will need to get some seat time myself or get smoked by one on the snow before I say apples are better than oranges.

Hopefully it snows next year so there is a lot less time for youtube, podcasts and forums.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would rather have detuned demo sleds and ripper production sleds than the other way around!
How are you assured a ripper production sled if they have detuned demo sleds? You are supposed to be showcasing product. If it is detuned, or call a spade a spade, and not tuned worth a sh!t is how i would call it. What does that gain them? I would feel better about it if they milled the head and made them look better than they are versus not looking great to start with. Chassis is great and guage is great. Motor is still suspect but assuming it gets there.

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
The laydown motor comment also struck me as odd. Said he had raced rmsha at one point didn’t he? Was kinda a weird intro.

Also lost a little respect when 3 middle aged dudes never heard of a Bendix before in the Polaris vid. Think Ryan guessed it wrong ta boot

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How are you assured a ripper production sled if they have detuned demo sleds? You are supposed to be showcasing product. If it is detuned, or call a spade a spade, and not tuned worth a sh!t is how i would call it. What does that gain them? I would fill better about it if they milled the head and made them look better than they are versus not looking great to start with. Chassis is great and guage is great. Motor is still suspect but assuming it gets there.
No assurances implied, expressed, or written! Just poking fun that it's usually the other way around with the pre-production demos running hotter than what is deliver in the fall. Like the 2018 early release ascenders or the Polaris Dragon 800s.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Interesting thing about that video, is that he's running at about 8100 RPM. While peak power is about 7800 according to the dyno run in this thread https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/858-on-the-dyno.467277/
I wonder if they changed the tune, or if he's just over-reving?
It's likely the one dyno'd was not the current tune and might not have been fully broke in yet. I've heard whispers those dyno numbers are a little low. But every dyno is different so who knows. The real test will be runs on the production sleds next year.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Snojet.

What are you calling a bendix?
Bendix is a parts manufacturer, not a part.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Everyone is saying the production sleds should run stronger than the demos... doesn't it typically work the other way around?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Must be why it auto capped the b.
I’m not a mechanic but I’ve put a few starters in vehicles before and heard the term referring to the gear that jumps out and turns the motor over. They can get stuck sometimes. Outboard boat motors especially.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Ya, I’m very familiar with the part you’re talking about now, just known differently here. Pretty common to find regional differences in parts terms.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I also liked how they kept talking about the "external spider". Clearly they havent opened a hood or read their own press releases in the last 3-4 years?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
one guy said it and i was wondering it too. how the different clutches compare in weight. if the cat clutch was a pound ligghter maybe then now its even. or it was even and now heavier idk. if it makes it not go boom i'm fine with it.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Weight of clutch also contributes to flywheel effect on motor.
Flywheels are created to maintain momentum and torque, provided they aren’t too heavy for the hp applied, this can be huge advantage.

Premium Features