• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowest 858 Pod Cast!

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
The new cat is a great step forward for cat , but it's still a first year sled if you think there won't be some issues you live in lala land. I'm not a cat guy, but I'm glad there pushing forward. Do you think poo would have drop 7#'s for 25 if cat wasn't close to there 24 weight? Last cat I owned has 11 m8 wich was a good sled. Competition is good for the sport.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The new cat is a great step forward for cat , but it's still a first year sled if you think there won't be some issues you live in lala land. I'm not a cat guy, but I'm glad there pushing forward. Do you think poo would have drop 7#'s for 25 if cat wasn't close to there 24 weight? Last cat I owned has 11 m8 wich was a good sled. Competition is good for the sport.
WRONG, the Cat guys have been saying for like a decade that the new sled was taking so long because it will be perfect when it comes out ;)

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
People want what they buy to be the best and freak out when others say it isn't.

The Cat faithful have a lot to like about the new 858, but it's not worlds ahead of Poo or Doo, and it hasn't spent a year out on the snow in the hands of thousands of riders. Hopefully it does well.

I still think the 858 will never really take a huge chunk of the market share in the mountains though until it offers a twin rail option. Time will tell.

In the meantime, kudos to Cat for bring a lot new to the table!
I think a turbo would bring more guys in than a twin rail. None of the guys I know are buying NAs anymore… but we are all in our 20s and 30s.

Twin rail would help too though.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I think a turbo would bring more guys in than a twin rail. None of the guys I know are buying NAs anymore… but we are all in our 20s and 30s.

Twin rail would help too though.

Turbo will help, but without a twin rail they may not really pull a lot of riders to their brand. We'll see over the next few years.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
The latest video of Muskoka Freerider had a Catalyst in it. Only made it about 5 minutes from the parking lot. Yikes!!

They mention plastic running boards in that video too. . . is that accurate?

I think the sled has a great look, but next season will be the one to watch for reliability. All the hype and speculation we hear on this new release is just that . . . :)
Well it’s not like that was a new from the dealer sled, it already had a bunch of abuse so who knows what might have happened before to crack it. And those guys are hard on their sleds, I was wincing every time they went out early season and just hammered over trees in the low snow.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Started first pull for one of the Lester boys....

I was bored so rode them again. I pulled the rope once to see if they pull hard and i have cranky shoulders. I should say i pulled it twice to get it to start. I don't think they are any harder than any other sled.
I wasn't impressed with the power. Whether it's clutching or mapping or assuming both. I didn't like the acs5 shocks or whatever they're called. They were too soft. The blue mountain cat was awesome on the trail with attac set at medium. The snopro reminded me of my 20 hardcore that sucked on the trail. I also rode a snopro 165. Same ride and overkill for conditions. The steering on mountain cat was great. Steering was so easy. I bet these were the same sleds snowest had because there weren't 165s at west. Others weren't impressed with power. One thought his 800 c tech ran better. I just rode 9r 2 days earlier. Not even close. I think they did themselves a real disservice. Seem like podcast was griping about shocks too stiff. Too soft and squishy imo. A couple thought they were stiff. They were in 3. Everything was all over the map. I get different shocks and tracks but the mountain cat steering was way easier and was like it was on a rail. Snopro steering was harder and it was really loose on trail and ride wasn't even close. Had to go way slower in corners. I'm not worried. I like the chassis. I assume some will get remedied.

Maybe I'm nuts and valving is to stiff but sled compressed way easier and would roll in corners. Really squishy. Floats felt stiffer standing on sled and tipping it. Not half as much compression.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Prototype calibration, still in testing, it will get better.
I'm sure it will. Not worried because i like the chassis. Power is easy to remedy. I just don't think they did themselves a favor for someone on the fence. I will admit i haven't rode a na polaris or doo for a while other than 9r. These weren't competitive with either i didn't think.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Couple recent videos from Cats riders are pretty funny poking fun at the 858’s low end and one pull starts. Looks like they have pretty good tunes in their sleds.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
watched a youtube video of a guy riding in IP on the test rides and he seemed to think it had lots of "jam" . it sounded good and the 154 would stand right up in the meadow. I dont really want my sled to "hit" on the low end i prefer a smooth delivery. I love how im never tired riding the the M6 but seeing the the new 858 in videos gives me a bit of a chub.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Here are a couple on instagram. Certain both have the latest factory tune. These rip compared to the demo sleds in West.

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
sounded alright to me. but i guess i love the m600 too.
After a season on my 6! I am not sorry I didnt wait for a 858. I am 100% happy with the 6 and will keep and ride it for a few years. A little clutching in the off season once the aftermarket has a kit they have tested. I am great with it.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
After a season on my 6! I am not sorry I didnt wait for a 858. I am 100% happy with the 6 and will keep and ride it for a few years. A little clutching in the off season once the aftermarket has a kit they have tested. I am great with it.
i ordered the 858 before getting a real good ride on my 6, if i had waited i may have done the same thing. i'm sure the big engine will be awesome but the chassis is so good and the 6 is really spunky. a head and a pipe would make it really good. Cant wait till i can ride the "stroker" next year.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam keeping my 6 as well and to be honest it’s all I need 90% of the time. If I can. Sell my 22 hardcore for a reasonable price and there’s a 165 that didn’t get picked up next year…I might lol

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
After last years review of the 6, they gained credibility with me as unbiased reviewers of sleds for the mtn that I didnt have for them previously based on, mostly what I read in here. In fact I ordered one after I listened to last years review when up until then I wasnt going too.
I listened to both last years podcast about the 6 and this years 858 tonight just to confirm some thoughts I had. After doing that I noticed some things that I find interesting.
1. 6 podcast, Ryan states battery is tucked up front and low (did he not pull the way so easy to remove seat and see for himself where it really is? Did he just ride it and not learn about it?) Got it right in the 858.
2. 6 podcast, composite boards are the sh!t! No snow build up etc. Not true on my sled? Anyway, my larger issue is, he is all about weight, did he not ask to know that the alum boards weighed 4 lbs less than the composite? (Side note, the alum boards went up $100 in the last few days😳. Glad I ordered mine last week after I broke one of my composites)
3. 858 podcast, Intake is different in the 858 because it is a laydown engine. Ummm, so is the 6? Part number may be different, but it is not because of that!

Lastly, anytime any of the guys that have previous ties to Cat and like them had any rebuttal to the negativity Ryan was spewing, he jumped back to a low bottom end issue and compared it to Polaris 9r A sled that is in a different category. Or an 850 that has had a few years of refinement. While blatantly avoiding bringing up any of the issues they have had in those refinement years

Anyway, all of that to say, last year I believed they could do a credible review of anything we care about riding in the west. After that podcast, I will not listen to another podcast. On the fence of renewing my Mag subscription.

The blatant bias almost makes me believe Polaris gave them an ultimatum if they said too much good about the 858.

Premium Features