• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Airframe Boards

V

vector boy

I'm installing some airframe boards on a Nytro and tossing the idea around of the glue idea along with rivets or not. For those of you who have installed them what did you do that you recommend? Or you didn't do that you recommend? If you didn't glue them on along with rivets, do you have stress points on your tunnel after a season or two of riding? My main concern using glue on them is how fast it sets up. I went through Christopher's thread of his install and is very helpful and detailed, would just like to hear what others did and would recommend.

Thanks.

I glued and riveted mine. I've seen both ways. I don't know if the glue is really necessary. I used the 3M structural adhesive. It's cheaper and doesn't have such a quick set time. It doesn't take much to do. I did two sets with the stuff I had and used about two thirds of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Same here.
Not CERTAIN you really need the glue, but I did it early and it HAS worked SUPER WELL.

But it sets up pretty dang quick.
So when you pull the trigger, BE READY to rock and roll.

I am going to install another set on my second Nytro this year.

I did not use glue, simply followed instructions with the bolts and rivets. It worked great and has not loosened after 1.5 seasons. It even seems to strengthen the tunnel structure more than the original design.

Better rivet

You should use the multi-grip style rivet not the ones that come with the kit.
multi-grip rivets are what Yamaha use.

Spend money on better rivets not glue.

You should use the multi-grip style rivet not the ones that come with the kit.
multi-grip rivets are what Yamaha use.

Spend money on better rivets not glue.

So Skinz is not supplying these kits with Multi-grip style rivets? What are they using? Just a steel/steel pop rivet?

Spend the money and buy some of the OEM style!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

So you dont have to pay the OEM price
http://store.adprivet.com/

I would agree with mountainteck!! the boards are already expensive enough. then to have to go out and provide quality mounting hardware yourself that is a little hard to swallow.

However one could argue that since you are not riveting a multitude of material thicknesses together multi-grip revits are unnecessary

Last edited:
Having had the pleasure of installing and removing far too many rivets on Nytrocity, I can say without any reservations, the OEM rivets BITE and HOLD far better!!

Having had the pleasure of installing and removing far too many rivets on Nytrocity, I can say without any reservations, the OEM rivets BITE and HOLD far better!!

To add to that, they also do a better job of filling oversize holes, which is very important with aluminum snowmobile structures.

So for those who have used the supplied rivets, do they hold up well? I'm starting to lean towards not gluing them just so it's less of a hassle to install, and if I ever take them off it'd be a lot easier.

I used the Skinz Rivets for a lot of other items and they seemed good enough. But I bought bags of the better ones from OFT and really liked them.

Thinking I'll just do the provided rivets. Go a year of riding and see how things hold up. Maybe next year I'll have to pull them off, put some vinyl wrap on the tunnel, and glue/rivet them back on with OEM rivets.

Use back up washers if using the supplied rivets.

The rivets go through the tunnel and into the tubes of the running boards so back up washers aren't really an option. I personally used the multi grip rivets on mine but if you use the amount they specify I don't see there being an issue with the rivets they supply.

I would guess that most people don't use the glue and do use the supplied rivets and probably have no issues at all.

I would guess that most people don't use the glue and do use the supplied rivets and probably have no issues at all.

That's what I'm thinking. And knowing how good Skinz stuff is I'm sure they'd know what holds up. But being on a college budget and having to drive 10+ hours to get to the mountains to ride, I'd like to have something that I know will work and last. Guess to save money and time, I'll just have to use supplied rivets and see how it goes.

I also sent you a PM Christopher about the screws on the outer edge.

Premium Features

Back