• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ski swap trick???

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Forgive me... I never tried or even heard of swapping the stock DOO ski's from left to right (so the outside edge is different) until recently..whats the deal?? pro/cons?? thanks-BJ

Last edited:
BJ you know how the skies have that flat area for mounting the other carbide? Put that piece on the inside. Your a big guy so I am assuming you dont need any help laying the thing on its side boondocking but for guys like me 150 it was the best improvement I have ever made. It takes all of those XP's cant handle questions and throws them out the window. That extra piece on the outside acts like a rudder and wants buck the sled flat when on edge. You could make an argument that you lost some high speed steering on the trails.... but the improvements on the 2" to 1' 6" low snow conditons are well worth it

cheers

shawn

BJ you know how the skies have that flat area for mounting the other carbide? Put that piece on the inside. Your a big guy so I am assuming you dont need any help laying the thing on its side boondocking but for guys like me 150 it was the best improvement I have ever made. It takes all of those XP's cant handle questions and throws them out the window. That extra piece on the outside acts like a rudder and wants buck the sled flat when on edge. You could make an argument that you lost some high speed steering on the trails.... but the improvements on the 2" to 1' 6" low snow conditons are well worth it

cheers

shawn

sounds good...so if a guy had the Hill Climb edition with the wide front end...this would "probably" help even for a big guy???-BJ

I would run my front wide before I would swap the skies back. My last two rides of the year where in Cooke and Mohawk, MI .... both rides the snow was very set up with about two inches of give. It felt like i was on a new machine. Before the sled took a ton of effort to lay it over and would buck back to flat very unpredictably....now it is much easier. I also felt like I was able to ride the sled more forward.... where before you would have to stand back on the running boards.

Cheers
shawn

Excuse my ignorance here guys, but are you talking about the XP skiis where the carbide is on the outside edge of the ski, not in the center? I'm asking because I picked up a 2004 800xp half way through the season and it has what I believe to be this type of skiis on it. Not the nicest handling ski I've ever been on. I may have to try this switch over.
Cheers :beer;

Excuse my ignorance here guys, but are you talking about the XP skiis where the carbide is on the outside edge of the ski, not in the center? I'm asking because I picked up a 2004 800xp half way through the season and it has what I believe to be this type of skiis on it. Not the nicest handling ski I've ever been on. I may have to try this switch over.
Cheers :beer;

Do you have a XP or 2004 REV

im confused... 2004 xp? did you get the skis from an xp and throw them on a 04?

You're right...sorry. It's the 2004 Summit X Highmark Extreme 800 HO (not XP). Would these be the same skis you're mentioning? Carbides are on the outside edge.

Last edited:
There was some locals that use to do that to their Summit REV's with the goofy mountain skis. Looks like your shoes on the wrong feet. They claim their the best handling mountain ski.

There was some locals that use to do that to their Summit REV's with the goofy mountain skis. Looks like your shoes on the wrong feet. They claim their the best handling mountain ski.

Yeah, those are the ones. When I first got it I thought someone had already switched the skis but apparently they're like this for side hilling? Not bad for handling in powder, pretty darty on the trails, but not near as nice as the Sno pros.

Swap em'

I swapped mine. Single best thing i've done to this sled. squirely on the trails, but the trails suck anyhow. take 1/2 hour, and swap em. if you dont like it. swap thwm back over.

Thanks for the input guys..but looking for XP related feed back..thanks-BJ

We've had a few customers report back that they prefer the ski-swap on their XP's.....mostly smaller riders if that has anything to do with it. I havn't tried it...yet.

I have this ski conversion and swap and have also shimed them too, on my 97 Summit 670 w/ 153 track and after I swapped the skis side to side I noticed its alot easier to lay over even with my limited experience as a rider, they like to push more in the corner on harder snow , but the trails are rougher than hell in the spring around here any way and would probably have the same trouble with other skis, except the simmons my buddies 97 summit corners awesome with the simmon on the same condition, could be a bit cause theres some more weight on the nose cause of the 780 triple under the hood, but was a cheap and very noticeable mod, I figured if I didn`t like it I could swap them back on the hills, but I am very happy with this mod.

Darren

I was the very first person ever to do this.:) There was a thread a while back about it. I like it better than stock, and it doesnt cost anything. Sled is a little more darty, but also rolls over nicer.

I was the very first person ever to do this.:) There was a thread a while back about it. I like it better than stock, and it doesnt cost anything. Sled is a little more darty, but also rolls over nicer.

Deaner- thanks for the input...did you check or realign front end to help dartiness?? (is that a word??LOL)...BJ

no thread jack intended... i just pulled the sway bar cuz i rode a friends sled and want more front end freedom and am going to swap the skis pre-season. should i expect a major difference in feel first ride?
hell, what am i talking about, this summer i have swapped from a challenger lite to a challenger, pulled the sway bar, stiffer torrison spings in the *** end, and stiffer spring in the primary... and that is just so far! so i am sure it will be a whole new ride. cant wait... snow baby snow...
dane

daner, with that many changes especially on a rev chassis, I`d say you would feel a huge difference especially with the swaybar gone and ski swap, you might not like the feel in the corners to start with but alot easier to layover and cut into a hillside and my sled is a older S Chassis ( I want a Rev), mine likes to push a bit but better if you stay in the throttle a touch. but lays over much easier,

Darren

Deaner- thanks for the input...did you check or realign front end to help dartiness?? (is that a word??LOL)...BJ

I think I started to one night, but then couldnt figure out how??? The skis are different widths at the front and back so to do a measurement of each to make sure the front was toed out a bit doesnt really work. Just eyeballing mine, it looks like it is good. Maybe even toed out a little too much.

Even with the skis swapped though, the sled isnt "darty". I had an 05 rt1000 and that thing was freakin darty with the stock skis. With mine swapped on my XP it was just a little looser up front was all.

to take a measurement for allignment use the carbide bolts. too much toe out will cause darting also.

Premium Features

Back