• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKI DOO OIL TANK CAP... A $14.99 alternative

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
TRS,
It would be interesting to do the same test for a longer period of time to see if the stock cap would eventually stop the flow of oil... I'm already sold but some are still not seeing it. Lol

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Tony was the sled sitting flat on the ground?

I've done this same test on 3 different sleds and zero oil come out with a completely stock cap. Sled sitting on shop floor. The only way oil would come out was having to shake the sled.

We do not get the following with modified caps/vents anymore. Oil usage went up on these same 3 sleds without oil pump adjustment.

oil line.jpg

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Static bench tests provide useful info, but remember that a sled is moving and there is a lot of vibration. I would trust the ball bouncing around to do it's job over a rubber flapper that only depends on suction. I have no dog in this race. if the Polaris cap is a problem then someone needs to show something that proves it.

A
Oct 9, 2014
If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) isn't the Polaris cap designed with a ball inside to bounce around and hit a "valve" and open it to allow venting? If your test was done just sitting still on a shop floor I'm surprised much oil came out at all? Like others have said if the Polaris cap is a problem then it needs fixed but did this test really prove anything? I might still buy the brp cap and see what happens I just don't want it to somehow someway not work and ruin my motor. Might let you guys test it out first.

Last edited:
O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Some facts we all should be able to agree on. If the Polaris cap, which isn't a new design was flawed or in other words designed to not provide enough venting in the real world then I think it's clear with the thousands of PRO sleds on the snow there would have been MANY engine melt downs due to oil starvation. The PRO has been on the snow with the same oil cap going on 5 years. There are engine failures for sure, but look though the voluminous threads on the subject and you will find it hard to find any topics which indicate a lack of oiling as the reason for PRO engine failures. Yes, what started this debate was the claim by some that the cap caused engine failures, but I have not seen any real proof of that.
So the issue I think is, does the cap sometime stick. Would someone do some real world testing that shows that the ball valve in the oil cap sticks under any conditions. Just saying it did doesn't mean it did! I will change my mind if anyone can show any proof of a cap failure and a real reduction of oil sufficient to cause a engine malfunction or problem.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Some facts we all should be able to agree on. If the Polaris cap, which isn't a new design was flawed or in other words designed to not provide enough venting in the real world then I think it's clear with the thousands of PRO sleds on the snow there would have been MANY engine melt downs due to oil starvation. The PRO has been on the snow with the same oil cap going on 5 years. There are engine failures for sure, but look though the voluminous threads on the subject and you will find it hard to find any topics which indicate a lack of oiling as the reason for PRO engine failures. Yes, what started this debate was the claim by some that the cap caused engine failures, but I have not seen any real proof of that.

So the issue I think is, does the cap sometime stick. Would someone do some real world testing that shows that the ball valve in the oil cap sticks under any conditions. Just saying it did doesn't mean it did! I will change my mind if anyone can show any proof of a cap failure and a real reduction of oil sufficient to cause a engine malfunction or problem.

I think what would be easier is for you to explain what your factual theory is to explain all the engine failures on the pros.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Tony was the sled sitting flat on the ground?

I've done this same test on 3 different sleds and zero oil come out with a completely stock cap. Sled sitting on shop floor. The only way oil would come out was having to shake the sled.

We do not get the following with modified caps/vents anymore. Oil usage went up on these same 3 sleds without oil pump adjustment.

Sitting on the shop floor, level.
The PI cap did not stop flowing oil until after 29sec. then went to a drip. I preformed the test with the tank and oil cap on my 2012 PRO. I did test the PI cap twice, the 17ml was the best. I was scratching my head with the flow rate.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
$14.99 alternative

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this is the "fix". I honestly want to know what you think.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Don't see why it would be off topic. The only reason we are ALL interested in this is because we want less failures.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
I don't doubt the polaris cap will vent...or stick (lol). Which one has more chance to NOT vent??? by design this to me is a an engineering flaw. The ski-doo cap (or the passo vent) seems to have lower failure to vent rate simply by design. if that makes sense.

if one were to put a competition out there for someone to design a vent, whos cap or method would win the competition? i'm pretty sure the polaris design would not win that competition.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
TRS has taken the time to provide more info, I appreciate his effort. My first observation is this, that much oil in 45 seconds. Take the least amount, the Polaris, that amount of oil in 45 seconds... multiply that by several hours of riding. That would be gallons of oil, way more than required for adequate oiling. Even under extreme flow rate periods it would seem that there would be more than enough oil to get the job done. Imagine the amount of oil in 45 seconds under pump vacuum, (more real world) instead of just gravity. IMHO this tests shows that all of the options provide more than enough oil. So this seems to be, does the Polaris cap vent well enough to provide ample oil... yes, but does it stick? Still not proof of that for me.
Thanks TRS.

It's 2.8 gallons in 8 hours. It's definitely not just running out there, I would think the doo style would be more consistent. I'm not sure there's a problem either, but it's an interesting theory to watch.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
$14.99 alternative

Sitting on the shop floor, level.
The PI cap did not stop flowing oil until after 29sec. then went to a drip. I preformed the test with the tank and oil cap on my 2012 PRO. I did test the PI cap twice, the 17ml was the best. I was scratching my head with the flow rate.

What that tells me is that the Polaris cap isn't venting with the sled sitting level on the shop floor. Then after 29 seconds the cap has created enough vacuum to slow the flow to a drip. I'd be interested to see a coupe of variations on the test. 1 let the oil tank completely drain static pressure. 2 put a pump on it and see what point the vacuum has to reach to stop draining? How much oil came out to create that vacuum?-This would depend on the tank level at the start. What was the vacuum threshold that the Polaris cap wouldn't over come? If I remember right it was 7" WC. How much vacuum is the oil pump capable of creating? Yes this isn't a real world riding scenario, but it shows me that the Polaris cap doesn't vent with the sled sitting level or if it's tilted to the oil tank side, or too much to the other side. Numerous people saying they hear a whooshing sound as they remove the oil cap. This tells me that under real world riding scenarios the cap allows a vacuum to be created in the oil tank. I think this a real problem and if I owned a Polaris I'd defiantly be looking for an alternative.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
TRS has taken the time to provide more info, I appreciate his effort. My first observation is this, that much oil in 45 seconds. Take the least amount, the Polaris, that amount of oil in 45 seconds... multiply that by several hours of riding. That would be gallons of oil, way more than required for adequate oiling. Even under extreme flow rate periods it would seem that there would be more than enough oil to get the job done. Imagine the amount of oil in 45 seconds under pump vacuum, (more real world) instead of just gravity. IMHO this tests shows that all of the options provide more than enough oil. So this seems to be, does the Polaris cap vent well enough to provide ample oil... yes, but does it stick? Still not proof of that for me.
Thanks TRS.

My 600 RMK is spec'd with a 3 quart oil capacity which is 2838ml. The test showed 17ml of flow with the stock cap. That works out to 22.6ml per minute or 1360ml in 1 hour. The tank would be drained in a bit over 2 hours so the stock cap flows just fine as the oil pump is getting plenty of oil.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the stock cap but I've not had any issues on either of my pro-ride sleds. I've never had an situation where I've opened my cap and found the tank under vacuum. The BRP cap may or may not be a better design. I think if I get really worried about this issue (I've been following oil cap threads for about a year) I'll get a separate hose and fitting and vent the tank old school like an 80's Indy. What was a hassle about that system was the oil ran out of the hose when you placed the sled on its side. I'd then have to plug the hose and one time I forgot to remove my plug and fortunately caught it in time before burning down. The tank was under vacuum and the sides were slightly sucked in.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
My 600 RMK is spec'd with a 3 quart oil capacity which is 2838ml. The test showed 17ml of flow with the stock cap. That works out to 22.6ml per minute or 1360ml in 1 hour. The tank would be drained in a bit over 2 hours so the stock cap flows just fine as the oil pump is getting plenty of oil.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the stock cap but I've not had any issues on either of my pro-ride sleds. I've never had an situation where I've opened my cap and found the tank under vacuum. The BRP cap may or may not be a better design. I think if I get really worried about this issue (I've been following oil cap threads for about a year) I'll get a separate hose and fitting and vent the tank old school like an 80's Indy. What was a hassle about that system was the oil ran out of the hose when you placed the sled on its side. I'd then have to plug the hose and one time I forgot to remove my plug and fortunately caught it in time before burning down. The tank was under vacuum and the sides were slightly sucked in.

I just spent 4 hours doing my own testing and will write and post my full findings in a few minutes, but you missed his post where the flow stopped after 20-25 seconds. I recommend reading my findings in my following post before making up your mind that the stock cap works or not.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I didn't see the post where he wrote the oil slowed to a drip after 29 seconds. I don't know if that has me concerned or not? My sled vibrates at idle and short of riding down a perfectly smooth and straight ice road for tens of miles at a time, I don't see a riding situation that would be similar to the bench test.

I guess all said and done, a fricking fitting and vent hose out of the tank would be the most simple and bulletproof solution to this. No moving parts, nothing to go wrong, simply proven to work over many, many years with all the OEM's at one time or another.

Premium Features