• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seized 2013 Pro 800 RK TEK

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Every time I have had a lean burn down the top of the pistons are killed and there is aluminum all over the spark plugs. This looks like it seized. Eric

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
he said that he put 400 miles on the engine. so it wasn't a break in problem or a install problem, the things I think you should look at is first injectors,second oil starvation, third maybe a crank seal. but that being said any time a seizure occurs that close to start up a cold seizure can't be out of the question. if it were mine I would check the injectors and reassemble it with a repaired top end an see how it runs , also it is not good to ride at steady throttle opening slow or fast. always very the throttle. no machine shop or piston manufacturer will warranty seized pistons. maybe you could ask for a discount on some new pistons or something like that. good luck

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Looks like the exhaust valve fall into the side of the piston

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
it does kinda seem like a cold seize have the injectors checked triple check everthing else make sure the case is clean and rebuild
sorry man that sucks

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Please pick one thread ... I understand you are frustrated... but to join today... and have dig up all of the RKT threads you can find and posting basically the same information.

You need your cylinders re-plated... It's not necessary to have it replaced.

Looks to me like something other than the piston caused the problem. Especially since you have 400 miles on this engine and it just popped on your last ride.

Strange the "hot spot" focused around the ring locating pin area.

The wear looks to me like tight rings.

Have you verified the injectors are performing well... proper volume and pattern?

Are your exhaust valves opening properly and clean?

Sincere question... and certainly not meant as a challenge to put you on the defensive... What is your background and experience with this kind of work?

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
You said it was idling low when warming up. Probably only on one cylinder. Drive a way with one jug cold and seized it up. Not pistons fault. I would check injectors. Ran low rpm for a reason.

S
Jan 7, 2015
Thanks, yea that's the plan so far, just trying to make sure I don't miss anything, as far as my background I'm an automotive mechanic. Not blaming rk ten, but is a forged piston more susceptible to a cold seize, I have been much more careful after putting the pistons in

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Stop wasting your time with the RK Tek crap and get the MTNTK fix kit... problem solved.

Cast pistons.
Good long warm up.
Oil enough to bathe in. :)
Meticulously assembled sled = long happy pinner. ;)

On a side note.
The axys pistons that came in my indy specialty tmx motor are working great. :)

Last edited:
B
Mar 1, 2009
Looks like a low oil problem,you are getting a lot of lousy advice from some people..If your oil cap sticks, your motor gets no oil.A little premix won't save it.Vent your damn oil tank!!

B
Mar 1, 2009
Yes ,usually happens on only one lower crank bearing.The oil pump is trying to suck oil and getting a little.It feeds out on like 6 different lines, i would look close at lower rod bearings for heat also..

I
Nov 26, 2007
Yes ,usually happens on only one lower crank bearing.The oil pump is trying to suck oil and getting a little.It feeds out on like 6 different lines, i would look close at lower rod bearings for heat also..

I believe his problem was with a piston

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Are those the original jugs? Could be pic but something looks funny around the exh. port.

Something else to check (from a phone conversation) have a look for a vertical crack in the back boost port.

N
Sep 16, 2012
Lets discount the oil cap problem, he said there were no bubbles or problems there. Just the latest "this is the problem" craze. I'm sure maybe a couple might have had problems, anything can go wrong, but saying the oil cap is the cause of all failures is just ridiculous!

B
Mar 1, 2009
Hey bozo no one said it was cause of all problems,but it is a huge problem! People like you posting, when they don't know what they are talking about is the problem.Usually there are no bubbles in oil line,only way that can happen is if it sucks air.

Premium Features