• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removing Primary Clutch from 2004 King Cat

Rob.G

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
I want to pull the primary so I can disassemble and clean it, and replace anything that needs replacing. I have a couple of pullers and I don't know if either will fit; what's the size/thread pitch? I know one of mine is 5/8-18. Not sure on the other.

Next, is the bolt holding the clutch on a right- or left-handed thread?

AND.. how do you set deflection on the secondary? I put a new belt on it and the ribs of the belt are riding flush with the top of the outer sheave.. shouldn't it be about 1/8" above it?

Thanks!

Rob

Last edited:
I think that is the right thread , you will know if it threads in correctly and bottoms out against the crank , not at home so I can't check my puller sorry, secondary needs a shim removed if belt is to low ,disassemble and shim is between sheeves (cat belt or ???) OE cat belt will be a slight bit different than aftermarket.
Right hand thread , just as important is to make sure the secondary floats about 1/16 to 1/8" inch back and forth or I should say in and out , keeps belt in better alignment . And make sure the motor mounts aren't mushy those sleds needed a torque link from the block to the frame to keep everything in alignment under load , black magic used to make one (what's on mine from day one ) routinely got 1500-1800 miles on a belt !!

Thanks! I googled but couldn't come up with the torque link. I wonder if anybody still makes one.

I have one genuine cat belt and the other two are Caltric.

Premium Features

Back