• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

red cliff riding

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Curious what riding is like around the red cliff area? is it like yellowstone or the snowies?

is it a crowded area or open country for boondocking?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
As far as I know, Vail Pass is the only riding that is ride in/out from the town. Anywhere else, believe you would have to trailer to.

That said, Vail Pass can be pretty fun riding, with everything from big bowls, to some fun rolling type terrain. Maybe not huge acres like some places, but enough for several days riding.

Only issue I can think of, is sometimes the snowpack from Redcliff up for the 1st few miles can get or be pretty low. Don't know if they ever close it, but I've seen it paper thin in the spring before.

Don't know if Camp Hale does better for snowpack, but could look at it as well, if considering staying at Redcliff.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Red Cliff has good riding. It is basically the same as what you get from Vail Pass. There is not much parking there, so you need to know someone, set something up with Mangos or the Green Bridge Inn. I haven't been to Mangos in a while and ownership/management has changed a couple times. They used to be great. I can also vouch that the Green Bridge Inn, is nice. Clean rooms, very modern, cool place. You can get to Camp Hail, Vail Pass, Ptarmigan, Lime Creek, etc etc. Riding from the Red Cliff side can get sketchy in the Spring because the town plows up to the water tank to give them access for water maintenance for the town. About 2.5 miles of road that maybe mud or very thin snowpack. Sometimes you can ride the snowbank down. Middle of winter it will be a snow packed road. It is still a fee area at the lower "gate" or where the Lime Creek road is accessed from the bottom. If you know where you are going you can access a lot of riding pretty easily from Red Cliff. There is some patches of private around the town that you're not supposed to access. You can get to Minturn, you can get to Fremont pass pretty easily, Homestake.

Depending on where you are coming from you might be ahead to go to Vail Pass. If you're coming from Denver, just start at the top of VP. Leadville, I'd go to Camp hail. If you're coming from the other end it could be sixes on where you go in at.

But to the OP, Red Cliff is nothing like Yellowstone.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You can actually get to Camp Hale, Homestake and even out to Chicago Ridge and Chaulk Falls from Red Cliff. It just depends where you want to go.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Great riding can be had out of Red Cliff like others have stated. If you have a truck/sled deck just park next to the sled rental place just down the road from water treatment plant on Shrine Pass Rd. As others have said the road to lower trail head can be gravel in the spring time. The riding near Blue Sky Basin is really good. Last year had 3 powders days in mid March that were fantastic. 3 of us & only saw 2 other rider in those 3 days.

V
Jan 8, 2020
Never mind, please don't post it. I found it. Guess places to snowmobile are like places to fish.....BTW, ran into a great group of sledders, What great people in this sport!!!

Premium Features