• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest VIDEO RANT: Its YOUR NATIONAL FOREST, don't let anyone tell you not to ride in it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Been a few months since my last major rant.
Today I take on the recent calls for me to Sit Down, Shut Up and STOP ADVOCATING for more people to come and go Snowmobiling in Island Park and West Yellowstone, because this is "OUR RIDING AREA" and not anyone else's.

Needless to say, I STRONGLY DISAGREE with this UNamerican Attitude.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
people do not understand... there are people, if they had their way, the federal lands (BLM, FS, etc.) would not be used by anyone... snowmobilers and everyone that wants to use federal and state lands must spend money to support groups that fight to keep these lands open... we support the Blue Ribbon Coalition, WSSA, and a local snowmobile club... I find it interesting how many bitch about a closure but spend ZERO money with advocacy groups..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
people do not understand... there are people, if they had their way, the federal lands (BLM, FS, etc.) would not be used by anyone... snowmobilers and everyone that wants to use federal and state lands must spend money to support groups that fight to keep these lands open... we support the Blue Ribbon Coalition, WSSA, and a local snowmobile club... I find it interesting how many bitch about a closure but spend ZERO money with advocacy groups..
Right on the money brother.
What I have found over the years of running this place is that Snowmobilers, by and by, ONLY get interested when THEIR RIDING AREA is under the gun.
Getting them motivated about OTHER RIDING AREAS is like pulling teeth.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Good thing I’m many, many miles away. I’d hate to hear what buddy would say if us Canadians came down to Yellowstone or Island Park. Haha
Canadians are Amaxing Riders.
I have never seen such good riders that can outdrink anyone else on the mountain and still NAIL the technical rides.
Just blows me away.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
The Idaho Trail Machines Association along with Idaho Parks and Rec work diligently to keep the trail syst open.
The great thing about sledding it leaves no trace like bikes do.
We try to promote all outdoor recreation be it sleds , bikes ATVs UTVs bicycles. We as US citizens own the parks and National forests .

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Idaho Trail Machines Association along with Idaho Parks and Rec work diligently to keep the trail syst open.
The great thing about sledding it leaves no trace like bikes do.
We try to promote all outdoor recreation be it sleds , bikes ATVs UTVs bicycles. We as US citizens own the parks and National forests .

About the IFTMA and the ITMA​

Founded in 1968, the ITMA brings riders together to promote conservation, courtesy, and safety.​

About the Idaho Trail Machine Association​

16298789_1550633528304510_82431679373307

The Idaho Trail Machine Association (ITMA) is a confederation of trail riding motorcycle clubs throughout the state of Idaho. Our member clubs include: Idaho Falls Trail Machine Association; Twin Falls Trail Machine Association; Treasure Valley Trail Machine Association; and High Mountain Trail Machine Association.

We are a family organization devoted to single-track trail riding and maintenance. We work with the BLM, National Forest Service, Idaho Parks and Recreation, Idaho Recreation Council and other groups to promote, preserve, and protect motorized access to the great trails of Idaho.

stahlecker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Western NE
Anyone hear of 30 by 30? That's an executive order signed in 2021 to preserve 30% of U.S. land and freshwater in the name of the climate crisis. That will have an effect on our riding areas.

Please try to join your State Snowmobile Association. The cost of dues is nothing compared to what we snowmobilers spend on gear. Your state works together with many other states that make up the American Council of Snowmobile Association's (ACSA). There is a similar setup for the Canadians north of our border as well.

https://www.snowmobilers.org/

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
@christopher
Great video and your concerns are spot on !

I am pretty open especially on FB as a lot of nonresident riders want to come west and ride, (Wyoming) I openly offer to take them for a ride. My small shop doesn't see a lot of (non Resident riders) I have had clients ask if I would take their non residents friends for a ride. It has the ripple effect to some extent as a friend tells a friend. It's all good, and we see most of the time during the week riding, more out of state trailers in the parking lot than Wyoming so yeah Hey its a national forest.. its for all to enjoy!!

HERE is my RANT..
Parking long 35+ enclosed trailer like butt heads !! I have seen some take up to 5 parking spots, and we rant on because of their license plates-and sometimes can't even get sleds (when coming back from riding) loaded, because either blocked from fully opening the rear door or have been parked in front of and behind, yeah locked in to a spot. Happens to a lot of us locals.
We do have highway patrol and sheriffs giving out tickets from overcrowded parking lot prompting people to park on the dead end road to the parking lot, that does promote better trailer parking- but 90% of the time its people that don't give a R.A. how they park and all it does is give locals a bad taste to see the overcrowding in everyone's national park, and we blame it on the way non residents park their investments.

We never see another rider all day long its so vast out here and plenty for all to enjoy- but then when we get back -it's down town New York style parking.. SO be kind to us it's only OUR national forest too !!

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Hey…..
Rolling in with nine sleds in one long ass trailer.

Exactly how many two place trailers and trucks can be parked in that same spot I occupy?

I’m saving space, not occupying more.

Premium Features