• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Shock Fox Floats 2013 limited pro climb 800

M
Oct 15, 2012
How do I know if my rear shock is blown out, and how much air should I put into the shock when riding if the shock is not blown.

I will lift the back of my sled completely up and sit it back down gently and it will sag back down aproximtly 3"-4" is this normal or is my rear Fox float blown or do I just need more air.

Thanks for you help.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Try more air, but it does sound like it could be blown. Pump up to 150 and leave the pump/guage on and see if the guage slowly decreases. My pump is pretty tight to screw on.

PowderStew

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Smithers BC
150 PSI is max.
I am 195 lbs in my shorts and if mine is 150 and I sit on my 12 153 800, it does not go down at all. I droped it to about 140psi to get it to drop about 1.5 inches.
Saw somewhere that it should drop 1.5 to 2 inches when you get on it. Before getting on the sled lift it up off a flat floor then sit it down gently. Then climb on and get someone to measure.

S
Oct 6, 2011
I am wondering the same. I have not lost any psi and my sled is sacked right out. Find it kind of odd how I can have 140 psi even when the tunnel is basically sitting on the track. Then an hour later it sits at normal ride height. I have a 12 snopro 800, and an 09 m1000 sp doing the same thing. Starting to think I'm too fat for the floats.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I bet I am 300lb all geared up and I've never had any sagging issues with my float skids. As long as the air chamber is maintaining air pressure, it should support the sled even if the actual shock part is blown out. Is the track way too tight or something like that?

R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
air pressure is checked with sled suspended, NO weight on sled

I've checked with no weight on the rear and with the track on the ground, pressure varies maybe a pound or two, not really a game changer IMO. Just don't have someone sitting on the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckett

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
has anyone used the regular coil over shock that comes on the standard M8 instead of the fox air shock?

performance?
thoughts?

S
Oct 6, 2011
Is it possible for the air to get into the shock itself. When mine sacks out it almost seems like the shock is holding it down. When I lift the back of the sled and set it down it almost seem to suck itself down. Sounds confusing I know but never seen anything like it before and have 2 sleds doing it. Dealer thinks I'm crazy when I try to explain it to him.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I've checked with no weight on the rear and with the track on the ground, pressure varies maybe a pound or two, not really a game changer IMO. Just don't have someone sitting on the thing.

OK, but that is per the manual ........

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com

Shock needs to be fully extended, and no weight on sled for it to be accurate. There are only 3 places an air shock can leak air from;
1- Schrader valve (sometimes dirt and debris can be transferred through your air pump, and get lodged in your Schrader core, and or Schrader core o- ring)
2- O-ring located at the top of the body cap, where the air sleeve screws on.
3- Air piston seal, located on the bearing seal head, inside the air sleeve.
The nitrogen and oil is located in the lower part of the body and unless damaged is un affected by issues with the air chamber.
You can take your shock out of the sled, release all air pressure, and unscrew the air sleeve to verify that the 2 rubber o- ring and piston seal are ok.

Reactions: Dam Dave
R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
Shock needs to be fully extended, and no weight on sled for it to be accurate.

No weight on the sled or no wait on the track ie: suspended? I pick the back end up and then set it back down on the ground without compressing the shock.

It's more accurate when it is suspended I definitely agree, but were talking a .5% variation from being suspended to being on the ground. So if you're airing up to 140lbs air it to 141 or 142lbs. It seems a bit excessive to break out the lift or have my buddy hold my sled in the air on the side of the trial or mountain while I air up my shocks haha.

Some may want to be more accurate I guess but for me this seems to work just fine.

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
No weight on the sled or no wait on the track ie: suspended? I pick the back end up and then set it back down on the ground without compressing the shock.

It's more accurate when it is suspended I definitely agree, but were talking a .5% variation from being suspended to being on the ground. So if you're airing up to 140lbs air it to 141 or 142lbs. It seems a bit excessive to break out the lift or have my buddy hold my sled in the air on the side of the trial or mountain while I air up my shocks haha.

Some may want to be more accurate I guess but for me this seems to work just fine.

I just lay it over on its side, track is clear of floor or ground, can do on the mountain easy........I set my pressures on the mountain after riding, not in warm shop

Me checking air pressure in floats...............Rob Kincaid showed how to do this:face-icon-small-ton

IMG_20131229_130732.jpg

Last edited:
R

RiotCountry

Jul 11, 2010
Minneapolis
I just lay it over on its side, track is clear of floor or ground, can do on the mountain easy........I set my pressures on the mountain after riding, not in warm shop

Me checking air pressure in floats...............Rob Kincaid showed how to do this:face-icon-small-ton

Haha that looks like a pretty good time to do it. That little tree makes a nice kick stand.:D

FIREMAN1

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2008
oregon
mine sagged out last year on a 13 - could lift it up and would drop right back down - had 140 in it - i let the are almost all the way out and pumped it back up while suspended and it instantly fixed it and has been fine since - cant explain it but you cant try that for free

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
Frikin garbage. Get a zbros or raptor.

Compare aftermarket to aftermarket. The oem specs for the Fox air shock uses old technology internally, some almost 10 years old.
Invest in getting the stock shock set up right internally, and add an Evol chamber; you end up with a lighter weight and better performing shock for less money then you can get otherwise.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Compare aftermarket to aftermarket. The oem specs for the Fox air shock uses old technology internally, some almost 10 years old.
Invest in getting the stock shock set up right internally, and add an Evol chamber; you end up with a lighter weight and better performing shock for less money then you can get otherwise.

What does something like this cost?

Premium Features