• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ratcheting track?

yzdesertrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2010
Connell, WA
I have on 07 xrs with a ce 163 track. Been on since before i got the sled at 600 miles, have 2300 now. Went out for a shake down ride yesterday and now have a track ratcheting problem. Did all the pre season maintenance and adjustments nothing new except the clutch belt and gear case chain. Adjusted the track deflection and tracked it nice and straight. I felt it was a little tight so I backed the tension off a little to about 1.5" of gap in the middle of the track to the high fax when the sled was off the ground. First hard pull off the trail it ratcheted (track slipped on the drivers) and was stuck. Got it down to the trail looked it over didn't see anything real obvious like ice or excess snow in the skid. Was still tracking straight so I tightened the track up two more turns on each side. Rode for a while did a couple pulls and seemed better except in a really hard pull it would act up. The snow was very heavy and pulled hard all day. I can't see any obvious wear on by faxes or drivers. Strange thing is my riding buddy has a 10 xp with stock 163 with only 700 miles on it doing the same thing. Our last ride last season was a late warm spring ride and ended up riding out on ice and gravel (despite our best efforts to avoid having to do that). Did we burn up our hy faxes or drivers? Creating extra drag? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
By your description it sounds like its just too loose. Assuming nothing is broken and driveshaft bearings are good.

yzdesertrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2010
Connell, WA
Everything appears to be fine with the drive shaft, bearings and drivers. Just about out of tension adjustment and the track only deflects a little less than an inch when I pick up the back of the sled. Seems almost too tight but it still wants to slip on a hard pull.

Premium Features