• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rabbit ears snow

squirrel chaser

Lifetime Membership
Mar 27, 2008
centeral Mn
Riding Colorado

Going to Colorado in January with a group of 8 and have never ridden there before. Just wondering if anyone knows a good location around Denver area that would have decent lodging and gas where you do not have to trailer? After doing some checking to meet these 3 things is rather tough any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Going to Colorado in January with a group of 8 and have never ridden there before. Just wondering if anyone knows a good location around Denver area that would have decent lodging and gas where you do not have to trailer? After doing some checking to meet these 3 things is rather tough any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Most places you have to trailer to the trails each day. Grand Lake is the only town I can think of that you can ride from. Hahns Peak Road House is another good option. They have lodging, restaurant, bar and gas station: http://hahnspeakroadhouse.com/

C
Nov 28, 2017
Riding Colorado

Sorry for the late reply... if you are coming to Colorado for the first time, I definitely recommend riding Rabbit Ears and Buff Pass, best overall snow and terrain in Colorado, of course just my opinion.

There is a place you can rent sleds from, just outside a Steamboat Springs (to the North) that will deliver the sleds to you at the trail head. This could be a Good option as you can stay in steamboat, have the luxuries of town, and then the sleds will be delivered to you each morning you want to ride. No need for trailering, jut show up and ride. You can start from the south side at the one of the Rabbit Ears Pass parking lots, or more conveniently yku can start from the Noth side at the Dry Lake parking lot (10 minute drive from down town Steamboat).

I'll post the name and number of the rental place in a minute, grabbing that info from a friend.

Cheers!!

C
Nov 28, 2017
Riding Colorado

Sorry for the late reply... if you are coming to Colorado for the first time, I definitely recommend riding Rabbit Ears and Buff Pass, best overall snow and terrain in Colorado, of course just my opinion.

There is a place you can rent sleds from, just outside a Steamboat Springs (to the North) that will deliver the sleds to you at the trail head. This could be a Good option as you can stay in steamboat, have the luxuries of town, and then the sleds will be delivered to you each morning you want to ride. No need for trailering, jut show up and ride. You can start from the south side at the one of the Rabbit Ears Pass parking lots, or more conveniently yku can start from the Noth side at the Dry Lake parking lot (10 minute drive from down town Steamboat).

I'll post the name and number of the rental place in a minute, grabbing that info from a friend.

Cheers!!

Colorado Sled Rentals
970-439-1707
www.coloradosledrentals.com

P
Jan 10, 2008
PA mostly

Grand lake is only real place for all you ask near Denver that I know of, you can get to a small town from the Vail pass area if the snow is right, but most spots out west are trailer in and out. I wish I had the same set up in colorado as I do in northern pa, I love colorado sledding more, but sledding back to the house, pulling the sleds into the shop and relaxing by the fire instead of loading and driving is killer...... however there is usually lodging within 30 min of most riding areas in Co, just book early and the closer to a ski resort the more jing.

If first time make sure you rent or buy beacons, probes and shovels, then check avalanche danger each day for where you are going, if no time for a class at least watch a dozen or so avalanche videos and at least get the basic safety ideas in everyone's heads. Remember everyone needs a beacon, probes and shovel!!!

A GPS and spot is a good idea as well, free ride areas don't have many markers and it's easy to get turned around.

It's awesome though, I have two 165 inch summits my GF and i leave there now because we love it so much.....enjoy be safe!!!

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
yes there are roads to run just got to decide if its worth a 3 hour drive to you, what day was you thinking on coming?

AverageJoe

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2008
Marble, CO
www.SnowBikeWest.com
I was thinkin about Friday after this next round of a little bit of snow hopefully... I'm gonna take a ride(in a UTV) up to 10k+ here today and see what's up, then make the decision about making that drive. Google is telling me 3:15, 160+ miles....

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I was thinkin about Friday after this next round of a little bit of snow hopefully... I'm gonna take a ride(in a UTV) up to 10k+ here today and see what's up, then make the decision about making that drive. Google is telling me 3:15, 160+ miles....
if your coming from Marble maybe ride ripple creek instead out of Yampa, or Dunkley great snow and a lot less people and save a hour ish

F
Oct 29, 2009
Heading up to rabbits ears Saturday morning. Planning on spending the night at muddy creek. Snotel sites look promising enough for trail riding towards the buff pass side. Enough snow to get around from the parking lot at muddy creek?

Premium Features