• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for the handgunners out there?

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Glock 27 is a good choice.

Get the 27C

C= compensated, which makes it a little easier to shoot, it doesn't "hop" as much. If you have the option get the night sights right from the factory as well. I wish I woudl have done that.

Reactions: revrider1
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Summit

The Rugers are notorious for jamming. Great revolvers and rifles but their autos are not even in the ballpark IMO.

As for a good compact either the Glock, sig, or the XD are all solid guns however I will warn you that the sigs like to be clean. If you clean them often you won't have any issues. (there's a reason why the FBI and Federal air marshals have all gone to sig nearly exclusively).

A little tip, as it has served me well, is to use a cleaning lubricant like Break Free. Put it on a rag wipe it clean and put it back together without adding anymore for lube. When you have enough on your rag to get it clean you also have plenty to lube the parts.

my .02

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Summit

The Rugers are notorious for jamming. Great revolvers and rifles but their autos are not even in the ballpark IMO.

As for a good compact either the Glock, sig, or the XD are all solid guns however I will warn you that the sigs like to be clean. If you clean them often you won't have any issues. (there's a reason why the FBI and Federal air marshals have all gone to sig nearly exclusively).

A little tip, as it has served me well, is to use a cleaning lubricant like Break Free. Put it on a rag wipe it clean and put it back together without adding anymore for lube. When you have enough on your rag to get it clean you also have plenty to lube the parts.

my .02

I thought the FBI still used the Glock, specifically the 22 and 23?

Last I heard about Air Marshals was that the chose their gun, but it had to be approved.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Glock 27 is a good choice.

Get the 27C

C= compensated, which makes it a little easier to shoot, it doesn't "hop" as much. If you have the option get the night sights right from the factory as well. I wish I woudl have done that.

Comp is nice on the Glocks but the combination of the comp and night sights is nearly unusable, after dusk when the night sights are needed you'll only be able to see them for the first shot on a compensated glock as the comp ports are out the top of the barrel and slide right next to the front sight. After dusk on a compensated glock you'll be nearly blinded after the first shot by flash. But if you make the first one count it won't be an issue but then again if your only worried about the first shot the comp isn't really needed either.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I thought the FBI still used the Glock, specifically the 22 and 23?

Last I heard about Air Marshals was that the chose their gun, but it had to be approved.

My next door neighbor is an air marshal and says sigs only now for them. Also a freind of my dad's has a daughter in the FBI and she said their phasing out the glocks for sig. But could be incorrect. I'm sure it realisticly boils down to contract pricing and availability more than anything.

I'm not taking anything away from the Glocks mind you as I own a Model 22 myself for carry/home defense gun (even though I haven't carried in a long time).

My personal preference for accuracy would be a beretta or sig (when taking anything other than 1911's) When it comes to all out durrability I like the Glock. you can throw them in a swamp for 6 months pull it out, load it, and it will cycle.

Another newer one that is promising is ths S&W M&P. Looks good so far but I'm not a big S&W Auto fan.

IMO when it comes to revolvers I love the S&W and the Rugers but their autos just don't compare to the companies that specialize in Autos.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
what are your guys suggestions on a good compact either 9mm or 40 cal. I am going to look at either sig or a glock.

Check out the Kahr's. I'm a Sig fan big time, duty gun and all for years. But the Kahr's are small, shoot well and come in 40 and 9.

KharPM9.gif

Go somewhere you can shoot them. I like the Glock but it is also hard to go wrong with the Sig.

Again, personal preferance but don't buy a 9mm, not enough penetration, stick with the .40

40 is usually better than 9, sure. But 9 works fine, and I carry one often. But my preference will always be the 45. I'd rather 'aim and hit' than 'spray and pray'.. :p

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I have Springfield XD Tactical 45.

I too prefer the .45.

I like my Springfield other then the typical double action trigger pull.

I've fired over a thousand rounds of Magtech 230 gr FMJ and never had a jam. I do clean it after every shooting.

If I was to buy another pistol, I would get a 1911. I like the nice crisp clean trigger pull of a single action.

I do like the high capacity magazine of the XD though.

A Glock is also an excellent pistol though. I was deciding between the Glock and XD. Its a tough decision.

A Sig is a very nice pistol but almost twice the price of a Glock or XD

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Comp is nice on the Glocks but the combination of the comp and night sights is nearly unusable, after dusk when the night sights are needed you'll only be able to see them for the first shot on a compensated glock as the comp ports are out the top of the barrel and slide right next to the front sight. After dusk on a compensated glock you'll be nearly blinded after the first shot by flash. But if you make the first one count it won't be an issue but then again if your only worried about the first shot the comp isn't really needed either.

Yes and no. You will get more of a flash with the compensated version but even with a regular gun at night or after dusk there is still enough "flame" coming from the barrel to distract you. Practice shooting in different situations.

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
Kahrs are a nice piece too but can be a handful with their size vs calibur capabilities.

True that... but compact brings on it's own special circumstances.

I prefer to carry my 220.. but the E9 is so much more compact. And it's far and away better than carrying a .380 or, gasp, .22. I gun not carried is, well, useless. So, the trade off for the shooting qualities is a good one IMO.

Use to carry a hammerless SW .38 2" for back up. Loved it. Will not fail. Would have a hard time hitting anything beyond a closet wall though. But, who cares at that point?

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Yes and no. You will get more of a flash with the compensated version but even with a regular gun at night or after dusk there is still enough "flame" coming from the barrel to distract you. Practice shooting in different situations.

good point but the last time I tried one at a shoot we had when I worked at a sporting goods shop the difference was very noticable for me.

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
I have a Ruger P944 .40 cal, latley I have been having a problem with it jamming. Day before yesterday I put 50 rounds through it and it jammed close to 12 times. I took it in and cleaned it and put it up for the day.

Yesterday I got it out and cleaned it real well and went out and put another 50 through it. It jammed maybe 4 or 5 times. Went back inside cleaned it again and put roughly 85 rounds through it, this time it only jammed once.

The gun jamms with the round half way into the chamber.

The gun hasn't been fired much in the last 2 years and I think I may have the problem knocked, but I ran out of ammo. The first time I cleaned it the gun was defintley dirty. I try and clean the gun after each time I shoot it.

So my questions are; Am on the right track thinking it is a cleaning issue?

Also I was using Ultramax ammo, does anyone have experience with this brand? It was alright but seemed kind of dirty.

Is there something else I should looking into that I haven't mentioned.

Thanks for the advice

Ultramax is lowrent ammo. But perfect for what your using it for. Its reloaded bulk ammo. Not all primers are the same nor cases. So that being said alot of the brass is inconsistant to say the leaste.

Your clips could be a major factor, springs just wear out. Also, some/most guns need a polish job right from the factory to clean up what the manufacturer didnt when it left the assembly line. Polish job will smooth out the action and ramp slide for better feeding

Use 50BMG cleaning solution. Soak your sh*t in it. You have alot of copper build up in your throat, I know this and I dont even have to look at your gun judging the action type and bullets your using :rolleyes:

If you over lube you get more debris in your action. Lubing collects particles such as copper and brass and wears on your reciever.

Pending how many rounds you have shot through it and the care you take of it along with the age of your mags its a simple fix. Id start with magazines.

Also, a side note, the already fired case getting halfway stuck in your throat is usually a case defect, you find it alot with bulk ammo. But I wouldnt put it solely on the fact that you shoot ultramax, I shoot it through my Kimber.

50BMG solution
New Mags
Pull it apart and clean it THOROUGHLY and inspect your springs and bushings

Reactions: Good to Go
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
True that... but compact brings on it's own special circumstances.

I prefer to carry my 220.. but the E9 is so much more compact. And it's far and away better than carrying a .380 or, gasp, .22. I gun not carried is, well, useless. So, the trade off for the shooting qualities is a good one IMO.

Use to carry a hammerless SW .38 2" for back up. Loved it. Will not fail. Would have a hard time hitting anything beyond a closet wall though. But, who cares at that point?

very true on all accounts.

I used to give my buddies that thought they were tough with their 9mm's crap about being dangerous inside a phone booth. :D

I too have no love for 380, 22, 32, 25 ect for defense weapons. I'd rather have a little more snuff behind it as I would rather finish it then start a shootout if needed.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
you guys might try a new slide spring...my 1911 colt delta elite will kill the spring in no time..and it will start off jamming and if you keep shooting it it will start stovepiping as well..new spring and she works perfectly....

G

Good to Go

Banned
Nov 21, 2007
North Bend, WA
very true on all accounts.

I used to give my buddies that thought they were tough with their 9mm's crap about being dangerous inside a phone booth. :D

I too have no love for 380, 22, 32, 25 ect for defense weapons. I'd rather have a little more snuff behind it as I would rather finish it then start a shootout if needed.

Point well made about ending it. Stopping the threat is the goal. More people die from 22's, but the problem is, they don't die when it matters. They keep going. Small rounds ARE lethal, but not when it counts. I consider the 9 the minimum.

Glad Nate chimed in... guru extraodinaire!! So much to learn, so little time.

Y
Jul 10, 2001
Go with a Glock 23C. A little smaller than the 22 and not as small as a 27. Because of the small size of the 27 they will kick a bit. Getting the +1 extension for the 27 magazines will help. The 23 or 23C is a nice gun that is easy to conceal. I have shot lots and lots of rounds with glocks and never had an issue ever with them. I love SIG, HK and Kimbers but expect to pay almost twice the price of a glock.

Shooting at night with a compensated gun is not a big deal. I shoot a lot at night and it is not an issue. Thinking about self defense close range shooting learn to point shoot keeping both eyes open. Self defense at home you are most likely never going to be in the position of taking shots longer than 7 yards. Practice 10 yards and in and when you get comfortable with the gun practice moving and shooting.

If I was ever put in a deadly force encounter I am not going to give the a-hole an easy target by standing stationary. I am going to be moving and making it tougher for him while knowing I have been practicing that and am confident in my abilities of shooting on the move. Dont move faster than you an accurately shoot of course. Also in the back of your mind you know your house and you can draw that person to an area where you have the advantage and away from your family.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
Thanks for all of the advice, this is my first handgun so I am learning on the fly. I get to drive to Salt lake city today for a wedding (:face-icon-small-sad this will make it a fun trip :beer;) When I get back I am going to dive into the gun and get rid of this problem that I am having.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
I like Sig's best. I have shot many dif guns too. But a lot of it is they fit my hand great, and I like the qualty of them too. here are 2 of mine.

SIG232-2.jpg

Premium Features