• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for the handgunners out there?

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
I have a Ruger P944 .40 cal, latley I have been having a problem with it jamming. Day before yesterday I put 50 rounds through it and it jammed close to 12 times. I took it in and cleaned it and put it up for the day.

Yesterday I got it out and cleaned it real well and went out and put another 50 through it. It jammed maybe 4 or 5 times. Went back inside cleaned it again and put roughly 85 rounds through it, this time it only jammed once.

The gun jamms with the round half way into the chamber.

The gun hasn't been fired much in the last 2 years and I think I may have the problem knocked, but I ran out of ammo. The first time I cleaned it the gun was defintley dirty. I try and clean the gun after each time I shoot it.

So my questions are; Am on the right track thinking it is a cleaning issue?

Also I was using Ultramax ammo, does anyone have experience with this brand? It was alright but seemed kind of dirty.

Is there something else I should looking into that I haven't mentioned.

Thanks for the advice

I
Jun 18, 2008
Southern Idaho
Cleaning is always a good start. You could have a weak spring in the clip. I have to always be careful not to let the slide contact my hand on the grip even just grazes it or my beretta jams. I havent had the best of luck with the autos so I shoot revolvers.

Reactions: rare breed

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
Could be the Clip but Try better ammo to see if that help also.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
new Magazine like mentioned, clean it but make sure you don't OVER oil it.

You might have to replace a component inside the gun, but I cannot even begin to tell you what on that gun because I am not familiar. Maybe the ejector pin?

Definately try another ammunition. On top of that try REALLY cleaning the ammo with a rag. This is not something you want to do all the time for obvioius reasons but it could narrow down a problem with dirty ammo.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
new Magazine like mentioned, clean it but make sure you don't OVER oil it.

You might have to replace a component inside the gun, but I cannot even begin to tell you what on that gun because I am not familiar. Maybe the ejector pin?

Definately try another ammunition. On top of that try REALLY cleaning the ammo with a rag. This is not something you want to do all the time for obvioius reasons but it could narrow down a problem with dirty ammo.

Good point on the over oiling!!

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
I have a Ruger P944 .40 cal, latley I have been having a problem with it jamming. Day before yesterday I put 50 rounds through it and it jammed close to 12 times. I took it in and cleaned it and put it up for the day.

Yesterday I got it out and cleaned it real well and went out and put another 50 through it. It jammed maybe 4 or 5 times. Went back inside cleaned it again and put roughly 85 rounds through it, this time it only jammed once.

The gun jamms with the round half way into the chamber.

The gun hasn't been fired much in the last 2 years and I think I may have the problem knocked, but I ran out of ammo. The first time I cleaned it the gun was defintley dirty. I try and clean the gun after each time I shoot it.

So my questions are; Am on the right track thinking it is a cleaning issue?

Also I was using Ultramax ammo, does anyone have experience with this brand? It was alright but seemed kind of dirty.

Is there something else I should looking into that I haven't mentioned.

Thanks for the advice

I have a P90 DC .45 and it does the same thing!!! It gets a bit frustrating sometimes. It has never stove piped but it will occasionally not feed the round all the way in so the slide will stop part way. A little bump at the back and the slide returns all the way. I have a half dozen clips and never saw a pattern with any certain clip. I had a gunsmith smooth and polish the lead-in ramp and also work a little bit on the frame at that same spot and it helped. I still have it happen every once in a while though. Next step might be a diferent return spring.

gun1.jpg

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
Revolver never jam!!

yes, they do. Ask craig medred the outdoor editor of the anchorage daily news. His .454 casull jammed and i did the first aid on him after the griz bit into him a few times. this was in 1993, if i remeber right. lol

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
Are you sure he didn't jam. For god sake a f'n giz coming at you!!
Revolver never jam!!

yes, they do. Ask craig medred the outdoor editor of the anchorage daily news. His .454 casull jammed and i did the first aid on him after the griz bit into him a few times. this was in 1993, if i remeber right. lol

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
From what I heard about the Casull, they had some cylinder indexing problems from the GD&T method (Or lack of!) that they had on the parts. I've shot several different .454's out of Mag-Na-Port and also my personal 44 Super Blackhawk without any issues.

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
Sounds like Casull's are crud. Yes?
From what I heard about the Casull, they had some cylinder indexing problems from the GD&T method (Or lack of!) that they had on the parts. I've shot several different .454's out of Mag-Na-Port and also my personal 44 Super Blackhawk without any issues.

Last edited:
S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
I do have a clip that I noticed yesterday doesn't eject all the way, I am going to junk that one and and switch ammo and see if that helps.

I don't think I put to much oil on, I put oil on a q-tip and then use that to put oil on.

what are your guys suggestions on a good compact either 9mm or 40 cal. I am going to look at either sig or a glock.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
just adude

He got one shot off before the sow was on him. He walked between a sow and her 3 cubs. From what he told me, the first round he shot, the brass came back out of the cylinder just enough to not be able to advance the cylinder. Once he got it advanced he shot the sow off of his ankle.

This was on the russian river in alaska, he was moose hunting with a pistol. He was also one tough guy. When i was looking over the gun the scope reticle caps had teeth marks in it.

tim

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
Holy crap!! I would guess the bear died!!
just adude

He got one shot off before the sow was on him. He walked between a sow and her 3 cubs. From what he told me, the first round he shot, the brass came back out of the cylinder just enough to not be able to advance the cylinder. Once he got it advanced he shot the sow off of his ankle.

This was on the russian river in alaska, he was moose hunting with a pistol. He was also one tough guy. When i was looking over the gun the scope reticle caps had teeth marks in it.

tim

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I do have a clip that I noticed yesterday doesn't eject all the way, I am going to junk that one and and switch ammo and see if that helps.

I don't think I put to much oil on, I put oil on a q-tip and then use that to put oil on.

what are your guys suggestions on a good compact either 9mm or 40 cal. I am going to look at either sig or a glock.

Go somewhere you can shoot them. I like the Glock but it is also hard to go wrong with the Sig.

Again, personal preferance but don't buy a 9mm, not enough penetration, stick with the .40

Premium Features