• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Freaks head

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
I have the Jaws pipe, VForce 3 reeds and a Goodwin clutch kit that is setup for the Jaws pipe. It is very, very snappy! I ride only at low elevations (Michigan UP) and I want to know if the 850 will detonate running 91 octane using the Powder Freaks head. I had a different brand head and pipe on a 800 ski-doo and a Thundercat with a CPR 1100 big bore kit and they both detonated and destroyed the heads and pistons, 3 times on the T-Cat!. I believe most everyone is running the Powder Freaks head are in the mountains which is way different than on flat land. I would like to get the PF head but I don't want to "burn it down"! I don't want to use race gas at all. I ride the trails at around 200-250 miles a day in the UP and when I ride in Quebec you can be far between gas stops and you won't find race fuel anywhere along the trails.
Awhile back, you were trying out a +5% fuel module. How did that work? Are you still using it?

M

Moon SOB

Oct 13, 2016
Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I will this next season. I had to rent a sled the last time I was up there because the engine light on my ski-doo 850 came on right away and was running sluggish. I found out later that because I had taken it apart so many times the connector wiring for the MAPTS was bad. I had since added new connector bodies so we will see. I bought the Powder Freaks head but I am hesitant to put it on until I get some more feedback from others who have tried it. I have a toggle switch that enables/disables the extra 5% of fuel and if anyone wants to know how to make up there own 5% fuel adder I can tell them how. It is the same way as the Hot Rod Sled Shop does it as well as Bikeman.

Ras74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2020
Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I will this next season. I had to rent a sled the last time I was up there because the engine light on my ski-doo 850 came on right away and was running sluggish. I found out later that because I had taken it apart so many times the connector wiring for the MAPTS was bad. I had since added new connector bodies so we will see. I bought the Powder Freaks head but I am hesitant to put it on until I get some more feedback from others who have tried it. I have a toggle switch that enables/disables the extra 5% of fuel and if anyone wants to know how to make up there own 5% fuel adder I can tell them how. It is the same way as the Hot Rod Sled Shop does it as well as Bikeman.

I run my powder freak and jaws pipe in North Dakota 2000’ and in island park 8000’ only thing I add is weight. I run 91. Never had an issue. I’m running the 7k domes and low elevation pipe on my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Moon SOB

Oct 13, 2016
I run my powder freak and jaws pipe in North Dakota 2000’ and in island park 8000’ only thing I add is weight. I run 91. Never had an issue. I’m running the 7k domes and low elevation pipe on my set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why the high elevation head at 2000' ? No extra fuel added? Would the low elevation head be OK on 91 octane fuel using a Jaws pipe? Any problems yet? Thanks

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I'm running the PF head on my '17 pump gas turbo.
Same compression ratio as stock, yet able to run 1-2 more pounds of boost on same grade of fuel.
Bonus, if you ever get a questionable tank of fuel, rather than it hitting the deto sensor and ruining your ride in limp mode, it'll usually still be happy on 91.

Premium Features