• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

polaris dragon 800 SUCKS!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You can't discard complaints about the 08-10 800s just because of one post. There are issues and they continue to mount, and Polaris is pulling their same old approach to them. Doesn't surprise me, but does disappoint me.

sled_guy

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
You can't discard complaints about the 08-10 800s just because of one post. There are issues and they continue to mount, and Polaris is pulling their same old approach to them. Doesn't surprise me, but does disappoint me.

sled_guy

And you think the other manufactures handle things any different?

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
And you think the other manufactures handle things any different?

They probably don't, but it doesn't make it right. There is no denying that problems exists on a large scale. This section is littered with engine failure threads. And if it didn't exist on a large scale we wouldn't be seeing so much effort to fix them from the aftermarket.

I figured the last 3yrs about a 1/3 failure rate. Way beyond acceptable. Now with sleds getting more miles on them that ratio realistically looks to be getting closer to half.

In 4 years Polaris has really done nothing to fix the problem. Everyone needs to understand that. Having a warranty that doesn't fix anything isn't a warranty. What good does it do to put something back to the way it wasn't working right in the first place.

First post members often lurk for years. Some finally get fed up and need to vent. Nothing wrong with that. I know everyone on here has there own unique situation. Better dealers, better support, maybe just enough money that you don't care heck maybe some of you are just born lucky. However, I've seen a few people change their tune on here since last year as they have now experienced failures.

The very real situation for many people is this. They bought a new sled. It has caused endless frustration through problems, shop time and often times ruined trips. Basically, never performing as it should. Now the warranty is running out. Motor goes down again. The cost to repair now outweighs the value of the sled. People are taking a huge slap to the face with these sleds. All you can do is cut your losses and move on. Not really the way it should be, but seems to be how Polaris feels is acceptable.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Good post thefullmonte, I bought a brand new '91 rxl back when, first ride @1.7 miles the crank locked up and it was down hill from there. 2 more crank failures, I honestly lost count of the pistons that went into it, had a bog you could drive a mack truck thru, etc, etc. Hands down the biggest POS I ever owned. I sold it 2 years later at a huge loss and have been bitter ever since. However many years later reading all these stories about guys still taking it up the tailpipe from polaris I realize I learned some valuable lessons from that old rxl. I wanted a 900 real bad, heard all the rumors of the release dates, had friends fooling me saying the local dealer has one, go ask for a demo (dealer laughing at me saying there still is no such model, and there wasn't) anyway when they came out I thought I'm going to wait and see. Thank God I didn't buy one. The dragons have come and gone and I thought I'll wait and see, again, glad I didn't buy one. The new pro sounds great and probably is but I'll wait and see. Polaris has no respect for there customers, you are simply a cash source, they will fullfill there legal obligations and no more, if they can deny an issue and save a few pennies they will. My point is, to all you guys having troubles with your sleds, you are screwed, sell it for what ever you can get out of it and call it a lesson learned. Can't afford to? neither could I back when. Never give polaris another opportunity to screw you.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
SuperDave is totally correct. Monte makes very good points also. I don't have as much frustration for first timers as some because I was exactly in their shoes back in 2005 with the issue plauged 2005 Ski doo 1000 SDI. When my dealer didn't have answers, I searched the internet and found the forums. Believe it or not, alot of us worked together on that sled and figured out solutions. Same with the 900 Polaris. Even though both of those sleds don't have the greatest reputation, I feel that both can be as reliable as any other sled out there.

What some of us have found interesting is there are some who have repeatedly b!tched and complained about their issues repeatedly over the last couple of seasons but won't take a couple of minutes and fill out some in depth information in the Engine Failure thread. The more information about the goings on when there is a failure, can then be compared to what others are doing that haven't had issues and see what differences there might be. you'd be surprised the little things that can have drastic effects on the big things. This is looking outside the box for answers.

I've even tried to pm members individually, asking them to please fill out the thread that have reported issues since the thread started.

The bottom line for me is do we want to figure out solutions to issues, or doo we want to keep complaining. I believe if we can get those that have had or having issues to give the rest of us some in depth information, then maybe we can find some common theme and come up with a solution. Believe it or not, but there are a few smart people in this section. I also believe the compiling of this information could help those of us that have been fortunate enough to not have issues.

If you just believe that it's a bad design and nothing can be done, then explain the many that ride without issues. So far this season, a couple of the new theories have come out that may have some merit. However, is there enough time and mileage on those to prove they are the fix? Do we have the time to go with the status quo and wait for these new theories to pan out?

L
Feb 20, 2009
Not a newsflash.....

New to this forum but honestly...this thread is 2 years behind the curve. I got my 2009 D8 in December 2008. Broke it in carefully and was rewarded with 5 reflashes, 1 rebuild, valve cleaning every 1000 km, the need for a 400$ PC5 to get it to run the way it should have, now has 7000 km and needs new rails, torsion springs. I have been to the dealer on average twice a month during riding season 3 years running. My wife thinks I may be 'mildly' retarded. Others think 'more than mildly' retarded.
I will be trading it in for a 2012 snocheck, not exactly sure but at least Polaris is the devil I know. If Cat has the DI 600 in a light chassis, maybe I cross the street. THe 2011 800 seems to be much better than the 08-10 but the season is still young. There is nothing on the forums that about the new 800 compared to the avalanche of crap in January 2009 when the old 800 was going down, stumbling, cutting out, lean surging, and throwing flames when you hit the PERC button.
For what it is worth, you will be throwing good money at a problem Polaris still can not fix. Sell the sled, buy something else.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
New to this forum but honestly...this thread is 2 years behind the curve. I got my 2009 D8 in December 2008. Broke it in carefully and was rewarded with 5 reflashes, 1 rebuild, New to this forum but honestly...this thread is 2 years behind the curve. I got my 2009 D8 in December 2008. Broke it in carefully and was rewarded with 5 reflashes, 1 rebuild, valve cleaning every 1000 km, the need for a 400$ PC5 to get it to run the way it should have, the need for a 400$ PC5 to get it to run the way it should have,. I have been to the dealer on average twice a month during riding season 3 years running., the need for a 400$ PC5 to get it to run the way it should have, now has 7000 km and needs new rails, torsion springs. I have been to the dealer on average twice a month during riding season 3 years running.

"7,000 km and 1 rebuild..."
I think 99% of the population would feel that this is normal. Many would be estatic. I know I would.

valve cleaning every 1000 km
Isn't this normal maitenance?

rewarded with 5 reflashes
I'll give you this, but at least they were trying

the need for a 400$ PC5 to get it to run the way it should have,
This is 2011. New technology. We used to have to rejet carburetors didn't we? This is the cost of owning newer technology.

now has 7000 km and needs new rails, torsion springs.

You're honestly complaining about this? I replaced my rear springs when sled had 0.7 miles

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL

sled_guy
Yes you can. I'll admit there is a problem here but I think there are people with way too much time on their hands. I bet if you check the IP's these guys have several different names.

The point being that they make one post, stir the pot and never come back. If they are that pissed off about it, why did they post and leave. If I was that concerned I would check back and at least participate in the conversation I started. It is pretty obvious this guy created a new account made a post and will never post again.

L
Jan 26, 2010
N. IL.
My 2009 Assault has not yet blown-up. Bought it new (snowchecked). Never really spent any time cruising in the mid-range. I ride it pretty hard. When the "update" was done, they said there were nicks in the chrome liner, but the pistons looked fine. They reflashed it only once (nov. 2010). Ran slightly better, but then again, I don't really cruise it around. I like to jam. Never had another reflash. Instead, I ran out and bought a PCV from DTR. Simply awesome! If you own this engine, gotta have this device! No burnt ECUs, or VRs. Replaced fuel filter often. I really enjoy riding this sled, but, I'm scared. I've had some issues. Maybe it's because I ride it hard. But I ride my PRO X hard, and it's never broke on me. I rode my XLT Special hard and it never broke. I kinda wonder if they build them cheaply so they can make money on parts and labor. Whats sad is, I'm not even excited to see the "new releases". From anybody. And I used to really enjoy that. I don't want a new sled. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna build my next sled. Nothing really expensive or exotic. Its gonna be a triple, with a long track, mountain bars and seat combo. Something I've always wanted. New sleds look kool, and they are. But I don't trust them. And they are waaaay too expensive. I'm not bitter, just enlighten...?

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Yes you can. I'll admit there is a problem here but I think there are people with way too much time on their hands. I bet if you check the IP's these guys have several different names.

The point being that they make one post, stir the pot and never come back. If they are that pissed off about it, why did they post and leave. If I was that concerned I would check back and at least participate in the conversation I started. It is pretty obvious this guy created a new account made a post and will never post again.

The account was created in November of 08...don't think he created an alter over 2 years ago to "stir the pot" now. Most likely had nothing to say until now, and after basically getting accused of being a troll, probably has no desire to say anything else.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
800 CFI Problems & Repair Options

WOW,

I think we all know why we are here on the forum which is mostly to share & compare information about our sleds & favorite past time. It is nice to help one another but on some levels we get to caught up on judging one another and now a guy with one post which is probably factual given what his complaint is when considering the sled? WTF we all had to start with our first post didnt you?

First off we need to remember what we have and if it is a 800 CFI and then take it for what it is worth? I hope we all realize that once you owned or have owned one of these sleds you soon realize it has the reputation of leaving you broken down and stranded. We know that this has happened time and time again. We all start to give into the fear of the unknown and we are no longer in our comfort zone when we always think and expect the worst.(Piece of mind is priceless and for everything else there is mastercard)

Yes we always hear the worst before the best and there are many negatives about the 800 CFI engines just read it here in the 4m. I feel like there are multiple issues that cause these failures and I am going to list them as I see them in order below:

1. Fuel mapping and lean issues, PCV has helped correct this issue but it costs more money.

2. The poo 2010 Cylinders, pistons, & head, flash updates where the engine is to loose and piston tolerance is bigger then spec., obviously this doesnt tend to last real long in most cases and yes if your out of warranty it can cost plenty of money to fix.

3. VR & ECU Burn Ups, the only help so far is a possibly updated VR from poo and possible venting & fans to help keep the VR cool so it lasts longer?

4. Crankshaft failure after multiple top end failures eventually can happen. This is a very expensive fix.

These are the top 4 issues IMO but there are more that are mostly minor like Stuck exhaust valves, WE shocks, Oil caps, other electrical shorts & concerns. (Ok new shocks are pretty spendy too)

The common repair options are listed below:

An updated VR from poo, The Fix (Piston kit), or the gizmo thing? (equalized t-stat) These are all possible choices which people seem to be having positive results to report. Maybe we can all continue to find some hope and wait to see if any or all of these things help us out in the long term instead of some of the band aid repairs poo has came out with?

Yes, all these repairs and updates cost us more of our hard earned money which is what makes me pissed off. So other then dealing with the thought of insurance fraud which possibly can effect where you may sleep at night? We have to either spend money to upgrade, or lose money with a trade in or in repeat repairs at the dealer or in our own garage at home? The choice is yours and it is not a easy choice to make when we are all unhappy when it eventually happens to us and poo has not helped too much!

I would love to see a little bit more positive fun on the forum then the continual doom and gloom but we all need a place to vent too! Good luck and this is 2 cents.

Last edited:
L
Feb 20, 2009
I think 99% of the population would feel that this is normal. Many would be estatic. I know I would.

Isn't this normal maitenance?

I'll give you this, but at least they were trying

This is 2011. New technology. We used to have to rejet carburetors didn't we? This is the cost of owning newer technology.

You're honestly complaining about this? I replaced my rear springs when sled had 0.7 miles

You must be kidding.....I should be happy about all of this, and grateful even though it has taken 3 seasons to get a fuel map that let's me ride between 5000 and 7000 rpm? That I have lost roughly 25% of my riding time due to the variety of problems experienced.

If it's such a great sled, I will sell you mine but I am sure that's not going to happen.
(Thanks, however, for the arguments on why 800 owners should be happy anyway.)

The point of my post was to share that these 800 problems were there from day 1 and are still plaguing the sled today.... and this is apparent on virtually every Polaris forum. No need to defend Polaris here or minimize the importance of the issues.

Nov 9, 2008
K-Town, ID

I personally know the starter of this thread! He probably puts on more miles riding than most of you do in two seasons.

He's a great dude..

If we looked around at most of you I am sure we would see rants here and there!

All I am saying is give the dude a chance for hell sakes!
I have not talked to him about this but I wouldn't blame him for posting once and bailing after seeing your comments

Premium Features