• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

polaris dragon 800 SUCKS!

K
Nov 10, 2008
That is why they call it a Dragon!! You drive them in then DRAG them out. I have gone thru 3 motors and 8 top ends. All the down time is killing me. I've been afraid to ride the back mountains on it for fear of getting stranded.
If there is a lawyer out there that is ready to take on Polaris I have paper work going back to Feb. 2008.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Last edited:
T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
I've got 2 Dragons an 08 and an 09 no motor issues some RPM issues which I have worked out now. I would get a new repair shop.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have a 09 dragon, I have had no engine failures. 2 things are making these engines go down either there is a issue that its lean, find the air leak or bad injector, plugged fuel filter etc. or the rider is holding them in the mid range. I always fluctuate my throttle. I have beat the hell out of my sled and have 1500 miles on it. I can't figure out why when the motor burns down all the dealers and/or owners are puting a top end on it and calling it good. does not make sense. The other thing is when you put a slp pipe and other mods on a carbed motor you jet it accordingly. on these sleds you just put it on and expect it to be ok. I know enough that I would not trust that. just makes sense to me

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Not being able to hold a stock motor in the midrange would be just plain stupid.

Like several Polaris products before it, the 08-10 800 motor has several potential issues.

But I agree... throwing top ends on a failed motor and hoping it is fixed without searching out the root cause is the definition of insanity.

sled_guy

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Not being able to hold a stock motor in the midrange would be just plain stupid.

Like several Polaris products before it, the 08-10 800 motor has several potential issues.

But I agree... throwing top ends on a failed motor and hoping it is fixed without searching out the root cause is the definition of insanity.

sled_guy

ya you would think you could hold it in the midrange but obviously you can't, so you have 3 choices ride it and not hold it in the mid range, sell the sled or keep putting top ends on it.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I'm not sure it is even possible to list all the potential issues with the IQ800 motor.

Lean midrange
voltage regulator concerns
injector issues
failed throttle body boots
oil pump concerns
too small of a fuel filter that requires changing every 1000 miles or yearly
pistons that are out of specification from the factory
I would add a poor exhaust valve setup

It would seem logical that since the parts that Polaris has chosen to use don't even meet the specifications written in the service manual. That someone would have pretty solid ground to stand on by now.

Polaris has shown that they are really unwilling to do the right thing when it comes to these sleds. I'm guessing your warranty is about done? It isn't cost effective to fix all the factory mistakes. I think the best course of action from a financial and stress free stand point is to cut the losses and move onto another brand.

There have been a few threads on hear talking about a lawsuit. I haven't heard an update on any of them. I suspect that Polaris is capable of dragging something like that out until we no longer remember what an IQ was.

A

ajbond

Jan 29, 2010
Ogden
I was told by a dealer regarding my 900 to go to the city office and file a small claims against polaris. think it costs 15-25$. they will have to show up and plead their case. even if you don't win atleast you have wasted their time. if every body with a problem did this maybe they would get the hint. mine is in the shop right now, broken cylinder skirt. there was 4 others with the same problem. guesse who was at the shop when i took mine in....2 polaris engineers. proof they know they have a problem... acutually 2 since the update scab. problem is they will try to find the cheapest way to bandage the second problem as well meanwile we are all running out of warranty.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I was told by a dealer regarding my 900 to go to the city office and file a small claims against polaris. think it costs 15-25$. they will have to show up and plead their case. even if you don't win atleast you have wasted their time. if every body with a problem did this maybe they would get the hint. mine is in the shop right now, broken cylinder skirt. there was 4 others with the same problem. guesse who was at the shop when i took mine in....2 polaris engineers. proof they know they have a problem... acutually 2 since the update scab. problem is they will try to find the cheapest way to bandage the second problem as well meanwile we are all running out of warranty.

Isn't that sorta like government intelligence? I'm not so sure you can use those words together. JK :pound:

Nov 9, 2008
K-Town, ID
That is why they call it a Dragon!! You drive them in then DRAG them out. I have gone thru 3 motors and 8 top ends. All the down time is killing me. I've been afraid to ride the back mountains on it for fear of getting stranded.
If there is a lawyer out there that is ready to take on Polaris I have paper work going back to Feb. 2008.

I ride with this guy and I have the same problem as him on my 09 800..

I saw a comment below about using a different shop..

I have a hard time believing that this problem is cause by a shop! Our shop has went to bat for both of us.. It's just the design it's CRAP...

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I ride with this guy and I have the same problem as him on my 09 800..

I saw a comment below about using a different shop..

I have a hard time believing that this problem is cause by a shop! Our shop has went to bat for both of us.. It's just the design it's CRAP...

so what have they done besides put a top end on it to fix it?

Premium Features