• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

planning a trip to Colorado where to stay

Decker is right about Black Mountain. I'd never heard of the place until he told me about it, and then I drove 5 hours to meet him there. Even with moderately sh*t snow, it was a pretty fun ride.

I was going to mention Hahn's peak also, but someone beat me to it.

I've only been to Grand Lake once. It works well for riding with newbs or a family-oriented ride because you can ride up and get a bite to eat. The downside was the mob scene on rentals with zero trail manners.

I've only been to Grand Lake once. It works well for riding with newbs or a family-oriented ride because you can ride up and get a bite to eat. The downside was the mob scene on rentals with zero trail manners.

This can be true about GL. We do have a fairly large rental fleet here, and I would say the majority of the renters have poor trail etiquette. However, the rental traffic is typically only heavy on the weekends and holidays, and if you're adventurous at all for off-trail riding you will be able to avoid most of the 'rental crowd' for most of your day. So if you're visiting during the week, renters are not a big problem in GL.

The advantage to having a big rental fleet is being able to go to Gravel Mountain for lunch and watch the 'show' of the renters try to hill climb and end-up rolling back down! :face-icon-small-ton

If you were wanting to ride Cali park you would want to stay in Hayden, just saying :) Cali park and black MTN are some of the best unknown riding around :)
That's good to know. Do you ride from Hayden or trailer out of Hayden?

It's so tough the way our storms track here if you're hoping to get a fresh dump while here. I also recommend waiting as long as you can before booking something. Mid-January for many areas is not a "peak time" because holidays just finished and then presidents weekend is just a couple weeks away, so you should be able to find lodging.

Thanks for all the info guys I'm losing my mind waiting on mid January there's no way I'm waiting a day later. As for dealing with trials we'll be back country exploring and digging each other out all day. Hopefully Mother Nature opens up and dumps some where in CO And that's where we'll be. If things go well enough we'll probaly trade in our Tahoe trip we take in March for another Colorado trip.

Right now the ATV'ing looks pretty darn perfect!

I've ridden more this month than all of last summer.

Premium Features

Back