• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Placer River

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
IQRDR - i think we saw you up there on saturday...We were pulling the slain dragon home and saw you in the gap. My dad asked if you run blend, then my bother hit that rock in the gap and messed his nytro up right then. haha

rough day but fun all the same. We had to do a tandem sled deal to pull that dragon out of the bowl.

I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
Lol

This one's for I_Boondock! :beer;
PICT0439.jpg

It's almost like I was there. Now I don't feel quite so bad about not riding that day! :beer;:beer;

Nov 28, 2007
Anchorage, AK
2SMOKE... sick pictures.. i saw u guys out there.

Had fun, but broke my chain and blew my chaincase on a landing up on Skookum - my buddy had to tow me out on his XP. Third chain, second chaincase housing this year.

Didn't see ya, but I was surprised there weren't more people up there.
Sucks about the chain, that gets expensive quick. Hard on those chains when you land full throttle to keep form goin over the bars, especially in snow like that. My sled didn't like a couple landings.

Nov 28, 2007
Anchorage, AK
2smoke.....

poor old darrin...first the crank, then the bumper...ha ha ha

he isnt having a good year

(i work with him down at Kulis)

later

It was weird, he rolled up and we thought there was something wrong with his exhaust cause it sounded strange, unfortunately it was a more expensive problem.

Didn't ride out with him,stayed to play, haven't heard about his bumper, but sounds like it must ripped off on the tow.

Bummer for sure, especially since this is the best time of year to ride.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
IQRDR - i think we saw you up there on saturday...We were pulling the slain dragon home and saw you in the gap. My dad asked if you run blend, then my bother hit that rock in the gap and messed his nytro up right then. haha

rough day but fun all the same. We had to do a tandem sled deal to pull that dragon out of the bowl.

Yeah, that sucks for him. Find what the problem was yet?

BTW 2SMOKE was that step up in the skookum glacier valley? I looked down on that stuff from squirrel and a lot of it looked good for natural hits and stepups..

Last edited:
C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
chad....

that was at skookum, its another playground...i rode there last year w/ jj...good stuff!

can we even access skookum and squirrel now? something about the drainage being closed april 1???

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Yeah, that sucks for him. Find what the problem was yet?

BTW 2SMOKE was that step up in the skookum glacier valley? I looked down on that stuff from squirrel and a lot of it looked good for natural hits and stepups..

Not yet. He took it to the shop yesterday. I bet its the ECM

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
chad....

that was at skookum, its another playground...i rode there last year w/ jj...good stuff!

can we even access skookum and squirrel now? something about the drainage being closed april 1???

Skookum Drainage is done for the year, they close it April 1st.http://http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/glacier/advisory.html

Chad, you must have been really tired sat. You rode right by me and Yeti and the Prarie Dog on your way out. Even waved.

2 smoke nice pics, was wondering who left them marks up on Skook.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Skookum Drainage is done for the year, they close it April 1st.http://http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/glacier/advisory.html

Chad, you must have been really tired sat. You rode right by me and Yeti and the Prarie Dog on your way out. Even waved.

2 smoke nice pics, was wondering who left them marks up on Skook.

Oh **** that was you guys! Haha didn't even notice. I was definitely tired from 3 days of jumpin and rallying. Did you guys go up into squirrel?

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Na we didnt make it up there Sat. we were up rallying on Skookum and just came down when you passed us. Sunday was riding by braile and could see squat. Might have been that custom chrome winshield i modded with scissors and heat gun.

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
Closed.

It did officially close today. Which is dumb there is a magical date to close it. They won't open it with a magical date... they wait for sufficient snow coverage 'to protect the underlying vegetation', thats how they should close it. There is plenty of snow... anyone friends with any of the rangers?

W

Winter Project

Dec 3, 2007
Anchorage / Gwood
www.myspace.com
who left there skidoo in placer river?drove by on my way home from seward and saw a sled in the water buy the bridge.no one around.i would have retrieved it except it looked like a xp.hehe

That was my Renegade... blew my chaincase and didn't wanna drag it through the mud. So left it there until we loaded the other sleds. Truthfully i was hoping someone would have snagged it.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Girdwood, Ak
They close Skookum April 1 and give it to the one or two crust skiers that MIGHT go there. FS claims it is for the x-c skiers. Personally I think CPG (heli dicks) pushed that one through.

Nov 28, 2007
Anchorage, AK
It appears they close it for the heli skiers.

There were alot of heli skiers up there on Saturday, that's the first time I have run into a group of downhill skiers while trying to climb up into a bowl.

Saw a group of guys that were hikin up some steep and hairy chutes. No thanks, i don't feel like rag dollin into a rock face if I catch an edge.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
CPG's wants its closed because their clients were realizing this weekend that they paid hundreds of dollars to get to something every joe with a sled can get to.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Aint that the truth. We were up by squirrel flats to the left and a chopper came in and landed about a hundred feet from us and we were getting some funny looks from the people they dropped off. Although we were pretty far up there and broke the trail up. This is in the bowl to the left up squirrel flats on the way up the gulley.

H
Oct 8, 2003
Anchorage, AK
werd, if i shelled out that kind of cash to go heli skiing i wouldn't be too excited about sleds screaming past me up the valley either... translation, go heli ski a couple valleys over! the cnf is big enough they shouldnt have to close up skookum.

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
CPG would close that valley if they could get their way

It appears they close it for the heli skiers.

There were alot of heli skiers up there on Saturday, that's the first time I have run into a group of downhill skiers while trying to climb up into a bowl.

Saw a group of guys that were hikin up some steep and hairy chutes. No thanks, i don't feel like rag dollin into a rock face if I catch an edge.

Yeah i saw those guys hiking up there also, i can understand their draw to those chutes they looked choice for getting some good turns in on.

CPG's wants its closed because their clients were realizing this weekend that they paid hundreds of dollars to get to something every joe with a sled can get to.

You hit the nail on the head. I went to the Warren Miller movie two falls ago and met the owner of CPG. He has quite the ego. He told me with a smug/ uptight look on his face, "We don't go where snowmachines go", i had to call BS on that infront of alot of future clients of his. If that were a true statement why are there tracks all over Skookum? I do enjoy the occasional air show the choppers give.

Wicked pics guys! Browsing the AK forum pumps me right up. There's definitely a greater percentage of guys jumping and dropping large stuff in AK vs. anywhere else, that's awesome. Your snow makes gives me wood! :beer; Keep on going big and posting pics!

Premium Features