• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Photos: 2009 Dragon 800CFI engine rebuild, showing bottom end problem

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Final machine work is done

Heres the finish machine work done on Jeremy's Turbo Dragon Torque Master Bottom-end

and the beginning of the assembly.

Photo #1 is the finish machining on the PTO-end of the crankcase.

photo # 2 & #3 is the center of the case where it was broke, The broken area has been machined out so it doesn't fracture later and cause motor damage.

Photo #4 is of course the bottom-end assemble with new update twin ring pistons ready for the cylinder.

800 DRAGON 006.jpg 800 DRAGON 007.jpg 800 DRAGON 008.jpg 800 DRAGON 010.jpg

Last edited:
old head and update head pictures

heres pistures of the stock Dragon head and the new lower compression update head.

800 DRAGON 015.jpg 800 DRAGON 013.jpg

Last edited:
Dan what are your thoughts on the new head design, I pesonally hate to give up compression but I guess I will try it and see how it runs. I know it lost about 12 lbs of compession after the update, thats holding the throttle open and pulling it over.

Dan what are your thoughts on the new head design, I pesonally hate to give up compression but I guess I will try it and see how it runs. I know it lost about 12 lbs of compession after the update, thats holding the throttle open and pulling it over.

Well.........Thats a good question and the answer would be different for
people riding at lower to higher elevations.

The stock compression ratio was a bold move for an OEM considering they don't know where the selds will be riden and what grade fuel will be put it them.

I can't speak for anyone but myself..........But I will say this, I know if I was running a Dragon at 7500 feet plus.....I would order a new head over the counter from my dealer and see what showed up.......if its the same as the new head in the update kit I would put it inside the update box and return it to polaris. ( run it for a while to make it looked used ) LOL!!!!! chances of someone at polaris ever looking at it and know what their looking at is slim to none. :eek:;)

The new head should work well at lower elevations.

Carl's can cut the new head for the guys at higher elevations, and they do it fairly inexpensively, SLP has heads as well as Brad Wursten (Power Addiction, 1200PSI on here).

Well, I was finally going to reassemble my motor this weekend. I was spraying some cleaner on the lower end and guess what fell out. Yep, that little piece Dan was showing us. This is and 08 D8 with less than 800 miles. Uhg, what to do..........what to do. :confused: It's almost as though God just doesn't want me to ride it. Well, back to the dealer I go :pThe odd thing is that it didn't even look cracked. It just fell out. Gees, I'm going to forget how this thing goes back together. Lol. :D

So I talked with the service writer who told me just to put it back together and run it. :confused: I'm not comfortable with that. Nor am I comfortable with a new one that's just going to do the same thing. It's just one more thing that isn't right from the factory.
He said they won't warranty mine because I tore it down. He said they would want to know why I had it apart. I had it apart because they can't do it right the first time. I then told him had I not been the one who tore it down it would have likely fell off eventually and took out the motor. Had I not tore it down the faulty throttle body boots wouldn't have been found either. That would have likely taken out the motor too.
This sled has been the biggest night mare for me. :mad: I wanted them to take it back in 08. I don't even know what to do any more. I don't know if I will even get to ride it this year. I was trying very hard to stay positive and accept the fact that Polaris is hanging me out to dry and I don't matter to them. I was just going to bite my tongue and fix the problems. Now here I am again wanting to drop the thing right on the front door of their home base in Medina. This is going to be the second time already this year that it's causing me not to ride. I was supposed to be riding this weekend, but instead I was going to be wrenching. Well, now I'm not wrenching and I will need to fix another issue. Isn't there some law against making false claims and producing a product that doesn't even meet a companies own specifications?

So I talked with the service writer who told me just to put it back together and run it. :confused: I'm not comfortable with that. Nor am I comfortable with a new one that's just going to do the same thing. It's just one more thing that isn't right from the factory.
He said they won't warranty mine because I tore it down. He said they would want to know why I had it apart. I had it apart because they can't do it right the first time. I then told him had I not been the one who tore it down it would have likely fell off eventually and took out the motor. Had I not tore it down the faulty throttle body boots wouldn't have been found either. That would have likely taken out the motor too.
This sled has been the biggest night mare for me. :mad: I wanted them to take it back in 08. I don't even know what to do any more. I don't know if I will even get to ride it this year. I was trying very hard to stay positive and accept the fact that Polaris is hanging me out to dry and I don't matter to them. I was just going to bite my tongue and fix the problems. Now here I am again wanting to drop the thing right on the front door of their home base in Medina. This is going to be the second time already this year that it's causing me not to ride. I was supposed to be riding this weekend, but instead I was going to be wrenching. Well, now I'm not wrenching and I will need to fix another issue. Isn't there some law against making false claims and producing a product that doesn't even meet a companies own specifications?

So then do you put it together let it blow and then will they warrent that? Makes a lot of sense.

So then do you put it together let it blow and then will they warranty that? Makes a lot of sense.

That's how I felt. :rolleyes:

Didn't I read you are getting ready for a trip. Are they going to have yours done? Do they have any idea why the crank snapped like that? Not real confidence inspiring sleds are they. :p

if you let it blow that even more down time not counting getting it out of where it grenades "lemon law" bud sorry man but if your tired of dealing with this awsome sled i think this is your next option i was being sarcastic

if you let it blow that even more down time not counting getting it out of where it grenades "lemon law" bud sorry man but if your tired of dealing with this awesome sled i think this is your next option i was being sarcastic
:D :beer; laughter is good
I know we are getting a little off topic. :rolleyes: I just mailed Dan and hopefully he can fix what they screwed up.
Seriously though. I won't qualify for any kind of Lemon Law as it has technically not been at the dealer. People like myself are sorta stuck in a bad place with these sleds.
1) I would never knowingly sell a problem sled to an unsuspecting person not knowing if I had it fixed or not.
2) I jokingly tried trading with my buddy who bought my 03. It says something when he says no way. (sled still runs flawless)
3) The resale is gone on these sleds. They are officially the new 900 an no one wants a used one. So I have a sled with all this money into it that I have no choice but to keep sticking more into. :confused:
That really sad thing is that I'm actually looking for an el cheepo used 2 stroke yami mountain sled just to have something to ride. Now that's sad. :D
Oh well, what can we do right? At least I have a sled even if it doesn't run. I will get it fixed sooner or later. I'm just really glad that I'm the way I am and can find all of this stuff before it did become a problem.

That's how I felt. :rolleyes:

Didn't I read you are getting ready for a trip. Are they going to have yours done? Do they have any idea why the crank snapped like that? Not real confidence inspiring sleds are they. :p

One of the tech guys jokingly said i think you tightened the primary bolt to tight. thats not the case i torqued it to spec. they think just bad casting. Were supposed to get a bunch of new snow this week hopfully get it back by end of next week. were going to revy the 1st part of april hopfully i can keep it running for a while. Going with somthing else next year. maybe IQR mod without this nice 800 pos

if you let it blow that even more down time not counting getting it out of where it grenades "lemon law" bud sorry man but if your tired of dealing with this awsome sled i think this is your next option i was being sarcastic

Lemon law hhhm. that would be interesting with the amount of issues that people are having

So, I got to meet Dan this morning and he is on the case. What a great guy to deal with. :beer; I have him balancing my clutch as well. Going to shim and adjust it to the belt I run. He is very thorough with making sure everything is right from start to finish.
Talked with him a bit about what he thought may have caused mine to chip. Other than what he already noted in this thread I had a really bad belt blow out the first season. Somebody forgot to tighten my motor mounts at the factory. Shame shame. He said that definitively could have been the culprit. Either way he is going to fix it right. More money than I ever intended to spend, but this should be one indestructible motor when it's done. :D Again, I'm just glad I find this stuff before something bad happens rather then after.

Premium Features

Back