• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pandemic's effect on snowcheck program and the industry as a whole

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I hate to seem pessimistic, but there may not be much of a season next year....

While nobody knows exactly what will happen, this likely is not going to go away on its own and will come in waves - with various responses. Smart businesses are already planning for shutdowns and restrictions next year, until a vaccine can be developed and distributed or reliable and consistent treatments are made available. If you listen to the smart people (not politicians) data/modeling suggests we will see an easing this summer, but then another big wave in December - possibly bigger than currently if measures are not taken, which is why I think you will see a quick/strong response. The only real comparison is the 1918 flu pandemic, where the second wave was deadlier than the initial wave.

In many areas parks are closed, highway departments have stopped plowing or clearing parking lots and snow parks and social distancing orders extend to "snow play", with some areas recently clarifying that "snow play" is considered non-essential and thus regulated.

While this may not affect everyone/everywhere, and people can always poach or use alternative riding areas, it will affect the industry as a whole.

I hope for the best, but think this is going to be painful for awhile.

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I'm doubtful that the things we're doing right now will be extended that long, or re-start. But then, I didn't think people would put up with it this long. At least Wyoming has pretty much stayed open, so worst case you should be able to go there if state shut-downs continue. And maybe MT will be a little more free come January? I guess I'd say if that's the one thing holding you up, don't worry about it: nobody will be in business if this goes on that long!

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I hope you are right.

While not a great parallel, it is interesting looking at other recreational industries. Being involved in the wakeboat industry, we are starting to see the manufacturers shut down - during their most critical time of year. Some of it is related to stay at home orders, but it is mostly due to the fact that they can't get raw materials or parts. Suppliers, domestic and international, are shut down and the supply chain is toast. With the boats that are in progress rolling off the assembly line currently, they can't get trailers for them. Dealers are starting to figure that 2020 is a lost year for boats - as production runs ultimately will be minimal. This creates a weird model year. To be clear this is not a case of the economy affecting sales, as most boats to be produced are purchased at this point. They just can't build them, and are leaving money on the table.

The politicians are in front of this saying we need to get the economy revving again, open soon, etc. The people that really know what they are talking about, and are helping to actually shape policy, are saying we are in this in one form or another for 18 months.

Using Wyoming as an example. Trump has been saying we need to get things moving by Easter, let's start easing the lockdowns, keep America open, etc. Just yesterday he had his chief of staff call the Wyoming governor and to ask Wyoming to start locking down and implement stay at home orders. I believe that they also just emailed 43,000 non-resident hunters, advising them that their travel will be restricted, and if they cannot quarantine for 14 days when coming to Wyoming to hunt, don't come. I think you will see this get even stronger. IF this continues, they will give the same warning to all out of state recreationists - hunters, snowmobilers, etc.

So again, I hope all this ends soon but I am not optimistic that we will be there for some time. Just calling it like I see it - and this is definitely a dynamic situation

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I believe that they also just emailed 43,000 non-resident hunters, advising them that their travel will be restricted, and if they cannot quarantine for 14 days when coming to Wyoming to hunt, don't come. I think you will see this get even stronger. IF this continues, they will give the same warning to all out of state recreationists - hunters, snowmobilers,[/QUOTE]

I just pulled this off the Wyo G&F web site.
But they are saying to only recreate with your household.

I am a nonresident. Can I still come to Wyoming to hunt and fish?
Nonresidents should be aware that there is a 14-day quarantine directive for people entering Wyoming through the end of April. Due to this directive, we ask nonresidents to stay home at this time, unless you can observe the quarantine.

If you have a license for a spring turkey or black bear hunt that you cannot use, please call (307) 777-4600 to learn your options.

• Sad
Reactions: christopher

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I am hunting, fishing, boating, collecting antlers or doing any other recreation is there anything different I need to know?
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is urging all hunters, anglers, boaters and other recreationists to enjoy the outdoors responsibly. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, people need to be extra vigilant to recreate safely and follow state directives.

Residents are advised if they choose to go outside to recreate, to do so close to home. Do not travel long distances or go to other states for outdoor activities. Stay local, fill up on gas in your community and bring food and water so that you don’t have to stop at the store.

Social distancing, even in Wyoming’s vast outdoors, is extremely important. Avoid congregating with others in parking lots, public access areas and trailheads. Do not meet up with friends for hunting, fishing or boating; go out with people in your household only.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
ELISA test....
If u have antibodies, you should get a green hat to travel freely... look for green hats everywhere....

Hopefully it will be widely available within a few weeks

Sent it

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
ELISA test....
If u have antibodies, you should get a green hat to travel freely... look for green hats everywhere....

Hopefully it will be widely available within a few weeks

Sent it

In China “wearing a green hat” (戴绿帽子 or dài lǜ mào zǐ) is an expression that Chinese use when a woman cheats on her husband or boyfriend because the phrase sounds similar to the word for cuckold. This apparently dates back to the Yuan dynasty when the relatives of prostitutes were forced to wear green hats.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Working with multiple US and global mfgs daily. No one knows. While a few supply chains are solid, by design or luck, even fewer know how long they'll be dependable. Some supply chains are blown up already. Every business is disrupted. No one knows.

Many of us hunt more than one state each fall, and apply for one or more non-resident permits/tags in the west (CO/WY/ID/MT/WA), at least to get preference points; 14 day quarantines, even with family/friends on private land, prior to a hunt is gonna blow up most non-resident hunts. Point being - hunts will be the test bunnies for fish and game and non-res sledding. Since these start as early as August for bow, and no later than Oct for rifle, there will be precedent and leadtime for riding. Might be high demand for counterfeit MT/WY/ID license plates. Will small, local communities welcome FU civil disobedience if quarantines are in place - another dunno.

• Haha
Reactions: mpn

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I assume most of the people on this forum are going to get more than $500 of free handouts from the government. So I ask you don't be selfish and snowcheck a sled and give $500 of your free money to help Polaris out and deliver on my snocheck. There are still plenty of people out there that actually save money, aren't going to go broke, still pay **** loads of taxes and aren't asking for any kind of free handouts.

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
I can't wait till more people start asking for our rights back!!! I can't go to a park, I can't go to work, my kids can't go to school and most popular public ground is closed to camping. 80% of us will not end up in the hospital if we get the virus. Let those at risk choose to stay in and the rest of us get the disease and get on with life. Will some healthy younger people die, yes, but we all will die someday and healthy people have died in the past and will in the future.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The New World Order - Quarantine Observations

Pick your favorite;

Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half will come out with a drinking problem

I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator

Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom
“Went to the shop”

Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom

Homeschooling is going well. 2 students suspended for fighting and 1 teacher fired for drinking on the job.

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone

This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house, told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

So, after this quarantine.....will the producers of My 600 Pound Life just find me or do I find them?

Quarantine Day 5: Went to this restaurant called THE KITCHEN. You have to gather all the ingredients and make your own meal. I have no clue how this place is still in business.

My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Day 5 of Homeschooling: One of these little monsters called in a bomb threat.

I'm so excited --- it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?

I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to Puerto Backyarda. I'm getting tired of Los Livingroom

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

Day 6 of Homeschooling: My child just said "I hope I don't have the same teacher next year".... I'm offended.

Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under.

Premium Features