• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pandemic's effect on snowcheck program and the industry as a whole

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I see Polaris extended their window to snowcheck.

I've seen during the last few years some sleds being delivered really late in the season after January as an example and it makes me wonder how the hell will manufacturers will be able to deliver the MY2021 sled in time for next winter. All assembly lines are a closed unless I'm mistaken so this is certainly impacting the production in a major way.

The used/new market is also affected right here in Quebec no non essential vehicles can be licensed. So no private/commercial sales for the moment.

If this last for many month I know we will have other problems but am I the only one who can see the sled manufacturers not being able to produce the sleds before the next winter?

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
You bring up a valid point, I hadn't gotten there myself yey. Not buying new so had my radar switched of..

But it gets me thinking; how will the whole industry cope with this???
How many sleds/atvs/sxs/wc will they sell if we hit a recession..
Will Textron cut their losses in the sled business? I have no clue how their return on sleds are..

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: kmoore28

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
OEMs primarily assemble. The supply chain produces the parts, most smaller cos, and some offshore, some NA. There will be capacity constraints, shipping delays, and a wave of bankruptcies - none are predictable right now, some models will be more affected than others. No one knows, and anyone who says they do is making it up. Best to keep a backup sled for next season if you want to ride early.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm curious if this will affect the floor models currently at dealers. I figured they would get burnt with these, but maybe they will be priced right to fill this void next fall/early winter. I'm still anticipating a lower turnout for buyers so sales numbers will likely be down next winter regardless of snow check or not.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I have been pondering this question also. Would really like if they put a guaranteed delivery date. If the don’t keep it one should receive a nice discount.

Reactions: christopher

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I believe most will be cautious for the next year on spending money on recreation. Just the way it will be even though sledders are hardcore. I'm on the fence was going to get new sled and trailer but it will be one or the other not both.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well, my 2019 is gone, so I'm snowchecking a 2021, guess I'll find out in the fall !! LOL

I see that they have extended to May1st but in the fine print is says "Shipment by November 30th guaranteed, if ordered by April 15th" So, I wonder if they can hold to that and what happens to the guys who snowcheck after April 15th ???????

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I believe most will be cautious for the next year on spending money on recreation. Just the way it will be even though sledders are hardcore. I'm on the fence was going to get new sled and trailer but it will be one or the other not both.

I'd say don't hesitate if you've got cash or are certain the payment won't be a big deal if you end up between jobs for a while or have to take a pay cut. I just hope people don't rush to either extreme. I'm much more frugal than most: it's just a toy to me, and my approach has been and will be to pay cash and take what that gets me. Nothing wrong with financing them, I know a lot of people do. I'll just say I think people would be wise to make sure they're not setting themselves up to be upside-down on anything: 0% interest doesn't help much if you can't make payments and nobody has money to take a sled off your hands. A work truck or shop or equipment that can generate revenue is worth taking a significant credit risk on, but it makes no sense to me to approach a new sled with the same thought process.

Long term, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with only two significant manufacturers. Things haven't looked good in the industry for a while. Doo seems big enough to absorb the hit, and Poo will hurt a little more, but it's hard to imagine Cat/Yammi hanging on more than a few years. They might be able to stay in the game for a while with a drastically reduced R&D budget, but eventually dwindling sales will shut them down. I don't want to see that, just the most realistic scenario to me.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Since AC and Y are snowcheck only, for all practical purposes, and their snow PG&A is in the ditch, this may turn out to be the make-it or break-it year (or maybe I should say brake-it) for Textron. I would not put cancelling 2021 orders and returning snow check deposits out of the realm of possibilities, either. Textron could just as easily flip the sled IP to poo or doo, or both, too, and just park the sled biz. Sure hope it doesn't happen.

A lower snowcheck volume for poo and doo this year may actually help with delivery of sleds to those who order - shorter build schedules.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeartoothBaron

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I don't finance toys. But unless you have zero debt that could be debated. I've got a lot of miles on my trailer and after it gets some age it just needs to be updated. Maybe there will be some cheap Logan's for sale.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: EJR and dooboy

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Anyone with a poo ever notice how many parts are imported from overseas ? Just wondering, Doo' motors come out of Austria, some castings done in France, or Vietnam, harnesses done in Mexico. Start stretching your supply chain internationally like that I think you could be asking for trouble. Supply chains will dictate who rides early, the more in house manufacturing, the better.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Very valid points.
Lets hope things get back to normal quickly.
10 million out of work the last few weeks is unprecedented and bad for the economy.
Many in the manufacturing world are shuttered. Production, of countless components, across all industries has ceased.
Try to buy something as simple as TP.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Very valid points.
Lets hope things get back to normal quickly.
10 million out of work the last few weeks is unprecedented and bad for the economy.
Many in the manufacturing world are shuttered. Production, of countless components, across all industries has ceased.
Try to buy something as simple as TP.

it’s amazing that sales of bidets aren’t going through the roof right now...?

Reactions: Escmanaze

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Customers who snowcheck by 4/15 will receive a $500 Polaris coupon if unit is not shipped from Polaris by 11/30/2020.

There is no guarantee these will ship by 11/30!

If you wait till after 4/15 to snowcheck, this $500 coupon does not apply, and still no guarantee to ship by Nov 30.

4 year warranty - OR - 0% for 48 months + 2 year warranty (no 4 year warranty if you use the 0% + 2yr option)

Sounds like Polaris may need to sweeten the deal a bit to get people to snowcheck in these uncertain times . . . ?

• Wow
Reactions: Joks79

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Customers who snowcheck by 4/15 will receive a $500 Polaris coupon if unit is not shipped from Polaris by 11/30/2020.

There is no guarantee these will ship by 11/30!

If you wait till after 4/15 to snowcheck, this $500 coupon does not apply, and still no guarantee to ship by Nov 30.

4 year warranty - OR - 0% for 48 months + 2 year warranty (no 4 year warranty if you use the 0% + 2yr option)

Sounds like Polaris may need to sweeten the deal a bit to get people to snowcheck in these uncertain times . . . ?
This coupon , is it for accessories or future sled purchases?

• Love
Reactions: CFsnopro

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Hummm . . .. good question. There is nothing in the fine print to say either way.

b888c966-a01d-4a38-b98f-7b52bab21bb6.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
This extension on the snowcheck deadline and the offer of 0% financing and 2 year warranty really has me worried about whats going on with Polaris.. Obviously sales of 2021 mountain sleds will be low considering there will a brand new platform next year... but they got to be hurting even extra hard now with the pandemic sweeping through the US to announce this..

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
This extension on the snowcheck deadline and the offer of 0% financing and 2 year warranty really has me worried about whats going on with Polaris.. Obviously sales of 2021 mountain sleds will be low considering there will a brand new platform next year... but they got to be hurting even extra hard now with the pandemic sweeping through the US to announce this..

I wouldn't be too worried about "Polaris" this early in the game. They are a very diverse company and have been doing very well for the past several years. This COVID 19 pandemic is something new to everyone, meaning across the board people will be affected in many ways. All we can do is be patient and wait and see what happens. I said before I plan on snowchecking a 2021, regardless of what is going on and what is being said. I / we don't know exactly how Polaris will handle production and delivery but in the end I do believe they will take care of their customers and "we all" will get through this and move on!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Calvin42 and Timbre

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
They're fine, they have $420 million in Cash to whether the storm...
If u snowcheck, i believe u also get a $1,000 golden ticket!

Sent it

Premium Features