• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-85 primary setups?

T

TheBreeze

Just looking for input and feedback from turbo guys running the p-85. If anyone wants to share their setups for 800 ho turbo's as well running the p-85 have at it!

I am hearing that there is also a significant gain in response due to lighter clutch, more aggressive shift pattern allowing lighter fly weights, etc.

I am going this round next season, so I will update as well.

140/330 primary spring and 68-78 gram weights depending on boost works great on the poo setups. should get you in the neighborhood to start with!

and yes, less weight is awesome, response goes WAY up. feels good.

For sure interested in this hope we get some info ! Been leaning this way for awhile now .

Can you run cat weights in a P-85? Got a buddy I'm giving my MDS ones to who is running a P-85 & will be boosted... not sure if he can use them or not.

Can you run cat weights in a P-85? Got a buddy I'm giving my MDS ones to who is running a P-85 & will be boosted... not sure if he can use them or not.

That's a good ? . It would be nice if I don't have to buy pt-1 mds weights . And can use my cat ones As well. Might have to shoot Steve and email. Just e-mailed Steve to ask.

Last edited:
That's a good ? . It would be nice if I don't have to buy pt-1 mds weights . And can use my cat ones As well. Might have to shoot Steve and email. Just e-mailed Steve to ask.

You find anything out?

I've got some polaris and cat weights sitting right here. The ramp curve is identical but the pin bore is different. The polaris pins are obviously narrower but the wieghts have an insert in them. If I can get that spacer out and figure out what it is that could give you some leeway mixing straight cat/poo weights. Doesn't answer the MDS question but it's a start. The base widths of the two are different as well but that could be easily spaced out.

Looks like MDS did something similar based on pics.

Cat weights

DSCF0880-1.jpg

These are the poo versions.

attachment.php

Last edited:
You find anything out?

I've got some polaris and cat weights sitting right here. The ramp curve is identical but the pin bore is different. The polaris pins are obviously narrower but the wieghts have an insert in them. If I can get that spacer out and figure out what it is that could give you some leeway mixing straight cat/poo weights. Doesn't answer the MDS question but it's a start. The base widths of the two are different as well but that could be easily spaced out.

Looks like MDS did something similar based on pics.

Cat weights

DSCF0880-1.jpg

These are the poo versions.

attachment.php

Not yet. Steve did email me back said he wasn't home but would check as soon as he got there so still waiting .

Well I was working on this for a different reason and the Polaris bushing is removable and will fit in the cat weight, but the cat pin hole is just a few thou too big, the bushing is not the press in fit like in the Polaris. You can just push in the bushing in the cat weight with your fingers.. so I see a problem with the bushing staying in place. Someone made a kit to put Polaris weights in the Yamaha primary and it had bushings that you put in from either side.. worked good.. I'm just not sure if the size of the yami and cat pin holes are the same.

I am in a search for the mds cat weights if you want to sell them..

Jim

Well I was working on this for a different reason and the Polaris bushing is removable and will fit in the cat weight, but the cat pin hole is just a few thou too big, the bushing is not the press in fit like in the Polaris. You can just push in the bushing in the cat weight with your fingers.. so I see a problem with the bushing staying in place. Someone made a kit to put Polaris weights in the Yamaha primary and it had bushings that you put in from either side.. worked good.. I'm just not sure if the size of the yami and cat pin holes are the same.

I am in a search for the mds cat weights if you want to sell them..

Jim

I was thinking I could mess with different ID/OD bushings but it's starting to seem like a hassle. I think I am just going to sell them and get some Poo weights. I'll let you know when I get them if you're serious.

Thanks for the info!

Guys it's not just the pin hole that is going to be a problem, the actual heel of the Cat weight will require grinding to fit into the P-85....yes I tried this when I changed over to a P-85 on my 09HCR. Also the amount of tuck on the weight is different and requires grinding. In short it was easier to pick up a set of P-85 weights, in my case I went with Daltons.

Premium Features

Back