• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Official Cantwell conditions 08/09

I
Nov 26, 2007
Well, I got first tracks on the mine trail today. Was socked in when we got there around 9:30, started breaking when we left at 11, dunno if it ever cleared up but healy was sunny on the way home.

Both creeks are still open but easy to get through/around. The river is passable but we passed since we were trying to a tow a sled out and didn't think it was doable on that thin of ice.

The trail isn't that bad yet, we had about 6" of fresh on it and there's 3 feet with no base along the sides...sorry in advance to anyone who hit my hole by the tracks :)

Anyone have some insider info about parking at the airport? We went to try from that direction but there was a sign saying no snowmachines on the runway...don't know if it's ok to ride around it but we didn't want to risk a ticket parking there.

Anyone have pictures from today?

Last edited:

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
We got to the igloo at 10:30, only ones in the parking lot. Picked up a loaner sled from the dealer last night, the salesmans personal keys were in it, he grabs his keys and comes out with one for the sled. We got down there and it was the wrong key. I've changed my criminal ways so it took me 30 minutes to hotwire the damn thing.:D

Snow was good 2' heavy base with 1' - 1 1/2' powder on top, snowed all day with no let up.

b-1.jpg

d.jpg

c-1.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
hey mag, what did ya think of the 6er? pretty fun little sled huh? my sons surprised me the first time I rode it..wasnt expecting it to run so good....looks like you guys had fun...

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
hey mag, what did ya think of the 6er? pretty fun little sled huh? my sons surprised me the first time I rode it..wasnt expecting it to run so good....looks like you guys had fun...

The six hundo was way better than I was expecting, the ol lady was completely wore out at the end of the day. :D

H
Dec 3, 2007
Washington
milepost?

If you guys don't mind me asking, where milepost did ya ride at? Heading through that area later this week, taking sled, so just curious. Thanks for any info.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Around 187. Anything North of 191 is by permit only right now...I heard it's $70 for a year pass to park north of 191 but haven't verified that yet.

A
Sep 20, 2008
sup icr, I talked to you in the am when you guys were leaving....we found some good snow at the end of the trail where it seemed to open up into rolling hills and creek valleys....this was my first time up there, great snow for Nov. 15.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Glad you guys made it back there, seemed like good snow along the trail but we didn't want to try to tow a sled across the river

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Going to be hitting Cantwell this Wednesday. Weather calls for clear skies but -4 with a -25 windchill. I sure hope it changes before then but sun and fresh pow sound good enough to go anyway.

Icr did you guys get back to the mountains last time you were up?

I
Nov 26, 2007
Nope, went in after a sled we left last time and decided to abort when we saw the river. The ice was still too thin for our ambitions. I'll probably head back on saturday...supposed to be cloudy so I'll stick to the trees.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Wet heavy snow and way to many people, did find some decent stuff in the trees.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Spent the weekend at a friend's cabin on the Denali Highway. We came out at noon Sunday.

From Canyon Creek west we hit 6" to 8" of new snow. The wind was cranking pretty hard on the drive south so I didn't get a good look at Broad Pass but there looks to be 3 feet or so at the Igloo.

The mountains south of the DH just east of Brushkana look sweet.

Premium Features