• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro xtx 1.75 Mods

C
Dec 20, 2012
Hi I'm looking for any mods that are "easy" or maybe not like exhaust not really chopped for money but I don't want to turbo it. I want wide skis for powder don't really trail ride much but in town riding. I want a loud exhaust. Now before you guys get on me about it. I live in Alaska a little town called Tok there are 1500 people here there are no rules hardly you can ride wherever and whenever you want no borough just like 3 troopers and they cover a lot of square miles so yeah. Lots of "trails" you don't even need to register your machine no testing no nothing. People have loud *** exhausts no ones cares everyone likes it the nearest mcdonalds (to put it into perspective) is 208 miles away let me know if you have any suggestions but loudest maybe exhaust haha and how low can I gear it what is stock don't want to touch the drivers or clutches till I have to. thanks

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
So if you want powder ski's, take a look at the Simmons Gen II or III. The II is for extremely deep powder, whereas the III is a good powder ski, but isn't quite as wide. I'll be honest, the XTX in stock form isn't going to be a great powder sled because of the combination of weight and the 136x1.75. If you really want to ride in the deep you might think about stretching to a 144 and maybe a 2" or longer lug.

For exhaust you have a lot of options, some guys have bolted up sport bike exhausts with good results. I would keep an eye on ebay, you may be able to score something cheap to try out.

Another thing to consider is that the Nytro is heavy, so try to shave some weight. The fastest way to save 10lbs or so is swapping the stock battery to an anti-grav. There is a good write up that Christoper posted that should be pretty helpful.

My last piece of advice is to abuse the search bar, you have years of information on SW about how to make the Nytro work, you just have to do a little digging.

C
Dec 20, 2012
So if you want powder ski's, take a look at the Simmons Gen II or III. The II is for extremely deep powder, whereas the III is a good powder ski, but isn't quite as wide. I'll be honest, the XTX in stock form isn't going to be a great powder sled because of the combination of weight and the 136x1.75. If you really want to ride in the deep you might think about stretching to a 144 and maybe a 2" or longer lug.

For exhaust you have a lot of options, some guys have bolted up sport bike exhausts with good results. I would keep an eye on ebay, you may be able to score something cheap to try out.

Another thing to consider is that the Nytro is heavy, so try to shave some weight. The fastest way to save 10lbs or so is swapping the stock battery to an anti-grav. There is a good write up that Christoper posted that should be pretty helpful.

My last piece of advice is to abuse the search bar, you have years of information on SW about how to make the Nytro work, you just have to do a little digging.

Hey the xtx is actually 144 x 15 x 1.75 so it will be good for that anything else would be greatly apriciated what do you think about the nytros in general? you own one?

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Personal opinion is the Nytro's a great trail sled w/o boost. It becomes a whole new monster with a turbo or supercharger. It's too heavy in stock form to be a mountain sled with out boost of some sort even if you drop 40lbs plus off it.

C
Dec 20, 2012
tell me more about the turbos and superchargers high maintenance or what don't wanna worry bout stuf that why im getting a 4 stroke and what is the coldest I can run it what point wont it start

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Knowing the interior Alaska conditions you live in I would avoid a lightweight battery. As others have said exhaust is a fairly cheap way to loose some weight though.

Tell me about it. I got frost bite on the tips of my ears about five years back walking across the parking lot at Fast Eddy's.

After dinner, my truck wouldn't start due to the cold. I was stuck there for two days until it warmed up to -48 degrees and I could get my truck started and go to Glennallen to by a sled.

One of the locals told me that it was -64 at their house. That's when I realized that the thermometer in my truck bottoms out at -40. I was a little surprised that my truck wouldn't start (I've had it start around -45 in Fairbanks before without plugging it in) until I found out how cold it actually was.

When I got to Glennallen, the guy I bought the sled from (2003 RX1) was worried that it wouldn't start because it hadn't been run in four months and it had been stored outdoors and the temperature hadn't been above -30 in weeks. Much to both of our surprise, it turned over about four times and fired right up. He said that he put a new battery in it four months earlier (the last time he had it running in October) but didn't run it for long and didn't know what kind of a charge the battery had.

So yes;

A) it gets very cold in Tok,

B) I wouldn't go with a lightweight battery if it means giving up cold crank amps if I lived there,

and

C) Yamaha 4 strokes have pretty good cold weather reliability even after sitting for four months.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
You may also want to check out Allan Gofenko's YouTube page. He is in Yellowknife NWT and runs three Yamaha four strokes (Phazer, Nytro XTX and Nytro Mountain).

The web address is http://www.youtube.com/user/gofenkoa/videos

They are entertaining and informative videos and he points out the good and bad of his and his friends sleds. Since the terrain is similar to what you have in the Tok area, it might be helpful. He keeps track of his miles (I don't think any of his Yamaha's have less than 10,000 miles on them) and tells you about any failures and repairs that were made.

He doesn't do much in the way of mods to his sleds, but two things he did to his XTX that he liked was he installed a Back Country track and upgraded the shocks in his rear suspension.

C
Dec 20, 2012
Shattered I tell you what it gets very cold and I appriciat the input a lot. Yeah do you still own your rx 1? yeah I was a skidoo guy and still am but im getting hooked on 4 strokes for how many miles they last and the new xtx comes with a backcountry track so that will be nice thanks so much any more would be great. I look into that timber sled suspention but they run pretty high so Ill have to think about that one prolly getting a barker exhaust haven't got the sled yet will soon though excited :):bounce:

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Shattered I tell you what it gets very cold and I appriciat the input a lot. Yeah do you still own your rx 1? yeah I was a skidoo guy and still am but im getting hooked on 4 strokes for how many miles they last and the new xtx comes with a backcountry track so that will be nice thanks so much any more would be great. I look into that timber sled suspention but they run pretty high so Ill have to think about that one prolly getting a barker exhaust haven't got the sled yet will soon though excited :):bounce:

I still have my RX1 and still love it. I have about 6000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to do to the motor is put engine oil in it after I roll it over. I've done some mods (mostly ergonomic) , but nothing too extensive and again, haven't had to touch the engine and it runs like a top. I have had to replace some wear items like jack shaft, axle and idler bearings, hyfax and I changed the engine oil after 5000 miles. You'll also find that you aren't spending a fortune on 2 stroke oil. Gas and go is a beautiful thing.

I am putting a 162 track on this summer. The factory 151 does okay, but the RX really needs a bigger footprint and more flotation. Another optional mod, but I think it will make for better performance.

The RX is heavy and doesn't do some things as well as some of the newer lighter 2 strokes, but it's reliable and after you get used to how it behaves, you can do a lot of good stuff with it. A turbo or supercharger will make the 4 strokes into mountain monsters.

Oh, by the way, boosting a Yamaha 4 stroke doesn't shorten the engine life provided you do it right. 200 hp is real easy and very reliable on pump gas. If you want big boost, you will have to do things like head shim, upgraded connecting rods in the engine, high octane race or aviation gas and a good fuel controller. It sounds like you aren't looking to do much big hill climbing, so boost may not be attractive to you.

Another fairly inexpensive mod that I would recommend, A roll over valve. Especially for fuel injected 4 strokes. What it does is close up the oil breather in the event you have your sled on its side or upside down. OFT Racing (he responded to your post a few entries up) sells them for under $200 and it includes a tether to kill your engine should you end up off of your sled. The kill tether is a real good idea for the fuel injected sleds since they will keep running when they are upside down. Not only is it dangerous should you end up pinned under the sled while it's running full throttle, if it's running full throttle upside down and pumping the engine oil out, it can damage the engine as well. I would recommend buying from OFT Racing as it's a local small business (out of Anchorage) and I don't think you can get a rollover valve system for much cheaper from anyone else anyway.

Ricky Coffman (owner of OFT Racing) is pretty much a Nytro god. I would recommend checking out his posts here and on Totally Yamaha and Back Country Rebels. He's done some amazing things with Nytros. In fact, he holds the state asphalt drag record on one of the Nytros he built. He's all about boost, but you can get some good ideas from his sled builds even if you don't boost.

I think you will love the Nytro after you get used to it. It will handle a little different than your Ski-Doo, and the power band is different but there are advantages. Fuel economy, trouble free engine, no 2 stroke oil, and robust clutches and belt life. If it's eating belts, there's a problem. I have about 2000 miles on my current belt and expect it will last a lot longer.

I was eating belts and went through two in about 500 miles a few winters back. The next summer I changed out my jack shaft and axle bearings and the problem went away. I assume that the clutch side jack shaft bearing was warn causing the secondary sheave to be misaligned. After changing out my bearings I gained a lot of power to the track and haven't eaten a belt since.

Anyway, I hope you are happy with your new sled. I sure do like mine. Be sure to check out Ricky Coffman's posts here and on Totally Yamaha. His username on Totally Yamaha is rlcofmn.

C
Dec 20, 2012
I still have my RX1 and still love it. I have about 6000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to do to the motor is put engine oil in it after I roll it over. I've done some mods (mostly ergonomic) , but nothing too extensive and again, haven't had to touch the engine and it runs like a top. I have had to replace some wear items like jack shaft, axle and idler bearings, hyfax and I changed the engine oil after 5000 miles. You'll also find that you aren't spending a fortune on 2 stroke oil. Gas and go is a beautiful thing.

I am putting a 162 track on this summer. The factory 151 does okay, but the RX really needs a bigger footprint and more flotation. Another optional mod, but I think it will make for better performance.

The RX is heavy and doesn't do some things as well as some of the newer lighter 2 strokes, but it's reliable and after you get used to how it behaves, you can do a lot of good stuff with it. A turbo or supercharger will make the 4 strokes into mountain monsters.

Oh, by the way, boosting a Yamaha 4 stroke doesn't shorten the engine life provided you do it right. 200 hp is real easy and very reliable on pump gas. If you want big boost, you will have to do things like head shim, upgraded connecting rods in the engine, high octane race or aviation gas and a good fuel controller. It sounds like you aren't looking to do much big hill climbing, so boost may not be attractive to you.

Another fairly inexpensive mod that I would recommend, A roll over valve. Especially for fuel injected 4 strokes. What it does is close up the oil breather in the event you have your sled on its side or upside down. OFT Racing (he responded to your post a few entries up) sells them for under $200 and it includes a tether to kill your engine should you end up off of your sled. The kill tether is a real good idea for the fuel injected sleds since they will keep running when they are upside down. Not only is it dangerous should you end up pinned under the sled while it's running full throttle, if it's running full throttle upside down and pumping the engine oil out, it can damage the engine as well. I would recommend buying from OFT Racing as it's a local small business (out of Anchorage) and I don't think you can get a rollover valve system for much cheaper from anyone else anyway.

Ricky Coffman (owner of OFT Racing) is pretty much a Nytro god. I would recommend checking out his posts here and on Totally Yamaha and Back Country Rebels. He's done some amazing things with Nytros. In fact, he holds the state asphalt drag record on one of the Nytros he built. He's all about boost, but you can get some good ideas from his sled builds even if you don't boost.

I think you will love the Nytro after you get used to it. It will handle a little different than your Ski-Doo, and the power band is different but there are advantages. Fuel economy, trouble free engine, no 2 stroke oil, and robust clutches and belt life. If it's eating belts, there's a problem. I have about 2000 miles on my current belt and expect it will last a lot longer.

I was eating belts and went through two in about 500 miles a few winters back. The next summer I changed out my jack shaft and axle bearings and the problem went away. I assume that the clutch side jack shaft bearing was warn causing the secondary sheave to be misaligned. After changing out my bearings I gained a lot of power to the track and haven't eaten a belt since.

Anyway, I hope you are happy with your new sled. I sure do like mine. Be sure to check out Ricky Coffman's posts here and on Totally Yamaha. His username on Totally Yamaha is rlcofmn.

Yeah I am temporarily in Nevada for a year or two bust as soon as I can I'm getting the heck outta here it sucks here. I want to go home to Alaska where I belong haha. No I'm very glad that you have great input. I don't go in the mountains too often but would like to acastionally the 144 should be fine for a couple trips and I ride mostly in town/ off trail not mountain some hills. I found it is the perect sled. I checked out Allan's channel its awesome great channel. He runs his machines at very cold temps so that is comforting. Not very interested in a turbo but definatly a Barker exhaust will look into OFT Racing. When were you up in Tok? Just wondering. Anything if you have thanks a lot once again.

Premium Features