• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Sled for my GF

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
My GF is looking into getting a sled, i have no idea what she should get into and just looking for some input. New/Used isn't a problem. She is a smaller girl, 115 lbs and never riden before. She has triend my Ski-Doo free ride and really liked it but it was pretty big for her but she can't pull start it whe it is cold. I'm thinking a 2011/2012 XP 600 146 but she is fairly set on getting an 800. Any input would be great. :face-icon-small-ton

R

rob80168

Dec 28, 2009
Western Wyoming
Stay with the bigger displacement, even if you have to get electric start. You will be happy and she will be happy with the extra available track spin speed.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
FWIW, I bought my GF an '02 Poo 600 RMK 136" as a Christmas present but gave it to her the Sat before Thanksgiving. This is her first sled, so I wasn't wanting to put on something with a lot of power. In fact this sled works just right for her. I have made some mods to accomodate her, such as a 2" riser and a WRP +3" Assault seat late last season. She's 5' 11". I also installed stiffer torsion springs this spring. Next week, a set of Better Boards are going on as solid boards totally suck. The front end was on the widest setting which has now been changed to the narrowest setting plus I installed the Gripper skis from my 09 700 RMK.

WRPEdgeSeat.jpg

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
If she wants an 800, don't talk her into a 600! You'll never hear the end of it!!! Get something with electric start, or get her to practice with a pull start. I'm small, but I have no problem pull-starting an 800.

If you're willing to go newer, make sure you get her on upgraded chassis. Doesn't matter which brand, they're all good, but the new mountain sleds are miles ahead of what they were a few years ago, much more controlable, and not as sloppy.

I started with a Rev XP 146 track and progressed up to a 163. I learned a ton about throttle control with the short track, but outgrew it after two seasons.

Congrats on getting your girl into the sport!!!! Have fun and be patient while she learns!!!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My girlfriend Val is 5'2" (she claims 5'3") 110 lbs.

She loves her 2011 Pro RMK Electric Start and almost never has both skis on the snow in pow, she is always carving. Buries her elbow and shoulders and just pins it...pops right up.

At a distance people ask " who's that?" when I answer,"that's my girlfriend, Val" the response is always the same. "that's a chick?!!!"

Always makes me laugh.... And proud.

Reactions: BrrraaapppGirl
D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
Thanks for the Input. We've started looking at the 800's, looks like it could be a new 146 Ski-Doo, damn nice sled for a starter sled...

Reactions: powderpilot
Premium Features