• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Aftermarket Gauge System with Mapping

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I would like to see a picture of it mounted on a Proclimb.

Thanks,

I'll have pictures, video, and a website describing it more thoroughly within a month. I have the circuit board that is shaped to fit in the mount on order at the moment, and a bit more finalizing of the mount itself before I can get pictures.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
As some of you know I beta tested Izzni's reflash last winter it is really is a HUGE set-up over the stock gauge. I actually don't think I used any stock gauge component other then the tach for the rest of the winter. Being able to record, get engine and intake temp, etc was worth the price for the reflash alone.

This product takes all of that to the next level... amazing guy to work with and I don't know if I've spoken with a guy who knows more about a single part of a sled more then he knows about the electrical system of our sleds. Best of luck on the next step Stefan.

B-Ridge Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
Michigan
Was looking at getting my gauge re flashed but know I might wait for this what is the est time for available units? This is exactly what I have wanted. Will replace my rino other then the two way.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Was looking at getting my gauge re flashed but know I might wait for this what is the est time for available units? This is exactly what I have wanted. Will replace my rino other then the two way.

It will only be beta tested this winter. I would imagine that September next year it would be available. For UTVs and ATVs it will likely be available mid summer.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I have the prototype of the mount about 85% complete. Basically the only things missing is that I need to shorten the mount brackets by about 5mm, finish modeling the light tunnels for the idiot lights at the top, and make the mount for the circuit board that stays on the sled when the main display is removed.

The beta testing version of the circuit board is being made fab right now, so hopefully in a week and a half or so I'll have a video and pictures of it working on my sled.

Here are some pictures of the mount on my hood, which I dragged inside for all the test fitting I've been doing lately. The last picture is of the mount that will have working lights and keep track of the odometer and hours even with the main display removed:

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
is that gauge and mount going to hold up to repeatedly being rolled over ?

I'll be printing it out of ABS, and the gauge and mount is actually much more structually sound than the stock gauge believe it or not. In any case, I'll be finding out this season as some testers and myself put miles on it out west.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
not to hijack but speaking of printing it out.
have u been to home depot recently? I was surprised to see u can pick up a 3d printer at home depot now.
$2800 bucks .

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
not to hijack but speaking of printing it out.
have u been to home depot recently? I was surprised to see u can pick up a 3d printer at home depot now.
$2800 bucks .

I'm using the kit version of the Taz 4, which cost about $1600 and a weeks worth of development time to put it together. It has a very large build area, which I needed to make the parts for the mount. 3D printing is cool, but there is a learning curve. You can print wide and long, or tall and skinny, but tall and long or wide causing corners to seperate during the printing. You can counter it with rounded shapes, or like I did, print the edges of bkxes as seperate pieces.

Parametric design software is pretty much a programming langauge too, so designing things takes longer than hou would think.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Seriously a giant leap as far as gauge tech is concerned. I say call cat and sell the gauge to them. Make 1 giant pay day instead of a bunch of small ones.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Updates ?

December was a busy month, so although I've been making progress I haven't actually ridden with it yet. I'm actually planning on doing a test ride with it this afternoon, and a whole weekend with it next Friday. I'm hoping to finally have a video of it working on my sled later today.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
What about using an ipad with a lifeproof case.

Unfortunately there are a bunch of reasons. The most critical is that an Ipad isn't quite bright enough in sunlight. Also, quite a few people would be buying a tablet to use as the gauge and nothing else, and frankly Ipads are ripoffs (they cost 3X as much as a really good Android tablet).

Also, with the limited amount of development time that I have it would be crazy to put that time into an Ipad app since Apple could decide I couldn't distribute the app. No way I would want some stupid company having that kind of control. In addition I'm potentially going to build a custom tablet that doesn't use a commercial tablet as the core, and you simply can't make a custom Ipad if I get to that point.

S
Ha, this is awesome. I posted something on the forums last year about using older tablets or phones to build a better gauge assembly. Kudos for actually doing it!

Also, yeah, very smart to develop on Android. The openness and parts availability is tremendous.

What's the difficulty like in terms of adapting any old hardware? Down the road, could this be developed into a kit form, for people to "re-use" an old phone or tablet? I've got a bunch of old devices that are just accumulating dust now. I'd feel less bad about one getting crunched in crash too haha.

Either way, I really look forward to watching this develop!

S
Jan 23, 2012
Cedaredge, CO
That is sick! and a great idea. It looks like you've planned for the ability to fuse GIS layers on the map screen. (satellite + contour) .. it would be very sweet to render the topography in 3D with real time navigation features. Kinda like the Garmin Monterra 3D map android device. If you need any help coding shoot me a PM - i wrote dronemapper.com photogrammetry software and a bunch of other GPU / geospatial stuff

edit: i want two!

Last edited:
S
Jan 23, 2012
Cedaredge, CO
another feature you could implement: access the tablet accelerometer / gyroscope and log the following:

* date / timestamp
* roll
* pitch
* yaw (heading)
* gps lat/lon/elevation

this could be displayed on the screen and also archived in the data storage. With this data you could then geo-reference video of the ride / pictures / whatever after the fact.

it would also be pretty sweet to graph out the roll / pitch / yaw extremes of your last ride

arctic cat needs engineers like you!

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Since the gauge system will be running on android you will be able to make or run almost any android app on it. I would imagine that there might be one already out there that might record some of the acceleration information you've mentioned.

I'm also hoping to make the core gauge application extendable so that interesting things like 3D mapping could be added by developers. There's too many interesting ideas for one company to implement, and ensuring that people are empowered to make features that they want happen is a just plain good idea.

Premium Features