• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need computer help.

My laptop crashed. I think the motherboard fried. I bought a new laptop and want to extract the info off the hardrive from the old. I want to get the pics and favorites off it. Can someone point me in the right direction to get this done on my own. I know I can take it somewhere but im trying to avoid doing that.

thanks
HM860:confused:

Last edited:
First off... helps to know what kind of HD is in the laptop... if it's an older one, you're likely to have an IDE HD. Newer machines have SATA. Pick up and yank the HD out of your laptop, plug that adapter onto it and into your new computer. The old HD will show up as a disk just like those USB keydrives.

Copy the data off it, and you're good to go. Those adapters absolutely rock; well worth the $.

If you cant do it or dont want to, send it to me, I will do it for you. I wasnt sure what to get you for Christmas, I guess this will make as good a gift as any. ;)

Pretty good chance it's a 2.5" IDE drive then. The smaller of the two 2x20 connectors on that adapt-o-matic I linked previously is what you'll need to use.

If you have a model number, I can probably dig up some more instructions as to how to get the drive out of the laptop. Some can be really tricky.

I took it to circuit city. I thought the power cord was bad. Turns out it wasn't. The computer won't turn on. New battery or power cord won't make a difference.

Opus, you're gunna have to tell me who you are first.:confused:

Well, I came from my mother.........

I have been here for quite a few years. I have a antivirus/internet security consulting business and have been doing so for about 8 years or so. I do quite a bit of data recovery and such. Some success, some not. Depends on the drive. If its highly important data and the drive is fried, I'm of no help.

I've helped a few people here, but most think they know what they are doing, so I let them do their thing. ;)

ya that sucks, same thing happend to my buddy and we were able to fix it for about 25 dollars (replaced dc jack), problem solved. unfourtantly it is fairly labor intensive to do.do as animule suggested that way you can learn.you may run into problems if you used a recovery software such as norton/roxio go back.it would have to be uninstalled first.whenever i recover data i prefer to use a program off a bootable disk such as ghost or acronis true image. that way if there is bad sectors you can skip them, not to mention the image is compressed so doing the backup usually goes alot quicker.if you have anymore questions, let me know.

HD looks fairly easy to remove. Download the , removal starts on page 117. Also, it is the IDE-flavored drive, not SATA.

There is an easier way too:

Last edited:
Ok, now im pissed. It just so happens the new computer I bought was a HP which uses the same power cord. My daughter was bugging me to use it and I kept telling her it doesn't work. To prove it I plugged the cord in and holy shat it works. Oh well, I guess my wife can have this laptop. Im typing this message on the old one. It was a 700 dollar learning experience.:eek:

I greatly appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.:beer;

Premium Features

Back