• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My Polaris Ownership Experience

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Thats nothing my buddy had a 08 assault that went through 5 motors, traded it in on a 09 dragon that is now on motor number 3 that is burnt down sitting on the trailer. To a new Pro that knock on wood has only broke a primary spring with 100 miles on it. Oh yeah each sled is from a different dealer.

8emup

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Utah
Mountainhorse you are so correct every sled company has problems but after reading most threads on the three major brands it just seems like Polaris has more issues then the rest. Let's see if I can remember a few, wires rubbing bare,TPS, injectors, tunnels bending, throttle block sticking,track seems to wear on sides rubbing tunnel, running boards bending and I'm sure I missed some.

With all that negative said this platform works very good in the powder. Even with what seems to a be weaker motor than the others it gets up on the snow and goes and side hills like a dream.

At the end of the day as long as my dealer sells the brand that will be the most important thing because I'm confident they will stand behind me if I have problems.

My point at the end of the day the dealer becomes the most important part of the equation.

8emup

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Utah
How could I forget broken motor mounts and clutch springs.

Polaris please get your act together on this stuff I really want to buy this sled!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Wow my mind was really set on buying my first Polaris. I rented this sled and an Etec and rode them side by side. I really liked this new pro but after reading ever post on this forum over the last few months it seems like the sleds ride great, but more problems than I hoped for. After reading this I'm not to sure Polaris is so great at standing behind the product. I'm very confident the dealer I do business with would stand behind me, but I'm feeling a little uneasy after reading this. I guess I'll keep watching and see how this works out.

1700+ miles on my sled, no real issues.
700+ miles on GF runs great.

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
Mountainhorse you are so correct every sled company has problems but after reading most threads on the three major brands it just seems like Polaris has more issues then the rest. Let's see if I can remember a few, wires rubbing bare,TPS, injectors, tunnels bending, throttle block sticking,track seems to wear on sides rubbing tunnel, running boards bending and I'm sure I missed some.

With all that negative said this platform works very good in the powder. Even with what seems to a be weaker motor than the others it gets up on the snow and goes and side hills like a dream.

At the end of the day as long as my dealer sells the brand that will be the most important thing because I'm confident they will stand behind me if I have problems.

My point at the end of the day the dealer becomes the most important part of the equation.

If you believe everything you read on the internet then we all would have bent A arms( maybe a few sets), broken cleats on running boards, All motor mounts broken, Tunnel bent, and so on. Each one of these instances hasnt been more then a few sleds.....I have owned 4 XP chassis Skidoo 800R summits and never had ONE BELT ISSUE. According to every thread out there your lucky to get 300 miles out of one. All brands have there issues,....and I hope the OP gets his resolved.

oh and I forgot 600 miles on my 163 PRO.....not one issue, best and most fun sled I have ever owned....wouldnt trade it back for my XP for one second....nothing against the XP either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 94fordguy

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
INJECTORS !!!! INJECTORS !!!

If the OP wasn't having erroneous and intermittent TPS and Throttle switch trouble codes, then I'd completely agree as there seem to be a few instances of injector's malfunctioning. However, in this case, I go back to my original shot from the hip without being able to diagnois the sled in person.

Reactions: AKSNOWRIDER

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Wow my mind was really set on buying my first Polaris. I rented this sled and an Etec and rode them side by side. I really liked this new pro but after reading ever post on this forum over the last few months it seems like the sleds ride great, but more problems than I hoped for. After reading this I'm not to sure Polaris is so great at standing behind the product. I'm very confident the dealer I do business with would stand behind me, but I'm feeling a little uneasy after reading this. I guess I'll keep watching and see how this works out.

You can find problems with all the brands it seems. You always hear about the problem ones and less about the good ones. I snowchecked an 08 dragon. It has about 3700 miles on it now....about 800 of it on the update. Have never had a problem with it other than a torn bellows once. Still runs great. My wife still rides it. Have just over 900 miles on my Pro and had a small hesitation at 300 miles...my dealer changed the tps which made no diffference then changed injectors and it has ran great ever since. Have not missed a day of good riding due to sled problems. I feel sorry for those that have had problems and hope they get them worked out but you will find problem ones with any brand.

And my dealer has been great.

Last edited:
E

Err

May 19, 2009
Well, with a few more eyes on this issue, I understand that the gremlin is now isolated and completely reproducible. It seems that one of the main wires in the harness, the one that carries the TPS signal, has a short in it. Apparently someone spent many hours testing each wire and found this. Wiggle the wire, sled stumbles and throws the code, wiggle it back and it runs fine. New wiring harness is going in tomorrow. Since we've also seen symptoms that are so similar to others injector problems, they are going forward with injectors as well. I am being told that there are no ECM's or TPS available on such short notice so I'll be giving the sled a try without those parts replaced this weekend.

Current snow predictions are 30-42" for the storm rolling in tonight and lasting through Saturday!

D

dp2826

Dec 31, 2007
NW Iowa
Wow... that really sucks. Sorry about all your luck. I can't believe how patient you are, I would have lost it long ago like someone else said. I'd let you ride mine if I were remotely close. But its not a pro:face-icon-small-hap

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It's unbelieveable how difficult wiring problems can be to find, duplicate, etc. I would bet you're on the right track now.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
That's promising news. Hope that's the fix and you have no more issues. Please keep us all posted. And good on your dealership for putting in the time to find the problem.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Well, I'm just lucky I guess. All I've ever ridden is Polaris since I was a teenager, (now 47) and I have yet to have to take one to a dealer to get fixed except for one burn-down that was entirely my fault! I have owned something like 20 sleds or so. I agree with Mountainhorse - on the forums, you only hear about the problem sleds, not the thousands of owners like me who aren't having problems. Personally, I can't wait until I can get a Pro!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's good to hear your issue and how it will likely be resolved. But I have to say, the 4m is tough on these issues. It sounded like you had a total lemon of a sled when it could in fact be something really simple. I can understand your frustration. I've had electrical problems like that as well. Good to hear it's not as serious as it first sounded. Now you can understand why Polaris (and the other manufacturer's) are reluctant to call it a lemon and give you something new!

Last edited:

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Well, with a few more eyes on this issue, I understand that the gremlin is now isolated and completely reproducible. It seems that one of the main wires in the harness, the one that carries the TPS signal, has a short in it. Apparently someone spent many hours testing each wire and found this. Wiggle the wire, sled stumbles and throws the code, wiggle it back and it runs fine. New wiring harness is going in tomorrow. Since we've also seen symptoms that are so similar to others injector problems, they are going forward with injectors as well. I am being told that there are no ECM's or TPS available on such short notice so I'll be giving the sled a try without those parts replaced this weekend.

Current snow predictions are 30-42" for the storm rolling in tonight and lasting through Saturday!

Id bet money they are not out of ecu or tps there betting the wiring was the problem and figured when the wire shorted it may have messed up the injector ecu's are not cheap polaris still having a hard time finding the WAY OUT LOL ive been thinking of buying one but with support like that im rethinking thanks for the info

B
Oct 6, 2010
Lets make on thing clear here and that is that Polaris and the dealer is in full support mode. I keep reading about Polaris or the dealer not giving 100% and that is not the fact, Polaris is sending tech guys to the some dealer ships to make sure that every issue is getting worked out. I also would like Err to chime in on how quick the response has been to try and fix the problem. Yes there was a hidden problem that has been found and the dealership and Polaris has replaced every part that has showed that is was failing. I hate to read that Polaris or a couple of there top dealer are not trying to fix a issue. I got my fingers crossed that your sled runs great and you finish the season on a high note.

E

Err

May 19, 2009
Lets make on thing clear here and that is that Polaris and the dealer is in full support mode. I keep reading about Polaris or the dealer not giving 100% and that is not the fact, Polaris is sending tech guys to the some dealer ships to make sure that every issue is getting worked out. I also would like Err to chime in on how quick the response has been to try and fix the problem. Yes there was a hidden problem that has been found and the dealership and Polaris has replaced every part that has showed that is was failing. I hate to read that Polaris or a couple of there top dealer are not trying to fix a issue. I got my fingers crossed that your sled runs great and you finish the season on a high note.

I want to be careful here because the last thing I want is some sort of e-brawl over how we got to this situation. But let me weigh in on a couple points.

- The dealer helping me with this issue is doing a great job. They are a bunch of stand-up guys that have been working hard to keep me on the snow. I've deliberately kept their name out of this discussion because I wouldn't want blame to fall in their lap or be associated in any way with this debacle. I appreciate all of their efforts very much.

- Engineers have been onsite from Polaris and did spend a considerable amount of time riding my sled. I personally met a couple of them. Another industry expert at my dealership also gave considerable time. At "some" levels within Polaris and at all levels of my dealership there has been excellent engagement.

- The problem here is that it took 2 months, 300 miles, 7 trips to the shop worth of failures plus an internet rant to get the right people to step up and just start replacing parts. The fact that they found the needle in the haystack in the bottom of the 9th clouds the issue. I do give huge props to the tech and management structure who finally sat down and figured out this tricky issue. But the fact remains, I was drug through the mud for months leading up to this. How many times can you jump out of bed early on a Saturday morning, load up for an epic day of riding and spend an hour or more driving to the trail head only to have to limp your brand new sled back to the truck? Or not even get out of the parking lot...

- The how and why this all happened has been made very clear to me now. I had an electronics issue. For Polaris to warranty an issue of this nature, they want a root cause. Their mechanism for identifying root cause rests heavily on engine codes collected by the ECU. When the diagnostic computer is unable to accurately identify the failure through the codes it collects, well, you get stuck. Polaris' current business practice is prohibiting tearing into the sled and simply replacing "possible" problem parts. In lieu of replacing major components I've been enduring a "wiggle this wire and send him back out" approach. I'd agree that this makes some sense for the first trip or two to the shop. But, LONG before 2 months, 300 miles, 7 failures, etc, etc someone at Polaris should have stepped up and just replaced all relevant and potential failed components. That is what is happening now. Complete wiring harness, injectors, ECM, TPS, etc...

- I want to reiterate 1 more time that I don't fault the individuals in the trenches working hard to get me back on the snow. Some of the people involved have really put forth an outstanding effort. What we have here is simply a breakdown in the system. Bad policy and certain levels of support at Polaris that were not engaged enough to make sure things like this didn't happen. Hopefully my sled runs great after this and Polaris takes this opportunity to fix its support process.

Again, thanks to everyone involved who is helping me get through this.

D
Nov 30, 2007
Nicely put. Every brand has its downfalls, and when they pump them out like they do (every brand) something is bound to slip by. It just sucks when it happens to you.

Premium Features