• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Muff pot cooking question

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Just got my first muff pot and mounted on the pipe just past the y pipe. I made a prime rib for New Year’s Eve and have a good amount left over. I cut it up in chunks and froze it in individual aluminum foil wraps about the size of the muff pot.

If I put the frozen prime rib chunks in there how long does take to thaw and warm up? I don’t want to over cook them. I imagine it takes a couple hours.

If y’all have any other muff pot pearls of wisdom or good ideas for lunch let me know.

Thanks!

Depends on how hard u rip it and for how long. I do the same with prime great snack next day I usually put some butter or aujo in with mine also. Any one that rides behind you will for sure smell it. Trial and error for time.

Depends on the sled, and how your riding it. I can tell you that spot just after the Y pipe is usually the hottest spot you can place it. MOST of the time you dont want to mess with frozen food, and not in the place you have it mounted because it will burn before it warms through.
Back by the silencer would be a better spot for a slower cooking spot.

Aluminum foil also does not work well for most foods. It tears, turns black, and sticks to food. Cooking bags, or parchment paper is a better choice.

I agree, oven bags work the best. Try to find the large size. If you can find the medium size, they will fit better. I placed mine in he middle of the silencer. If you ride trails, the air moving through the hood prevents a good cooking temp. If your riding in deep powder, it doesn't take very long to heat up anything.
I've used just about everything. One of my favorites was little smokies and BBQ sauce. I added some 1/2" thick fresh carrot sticks and they cooked up real nice in the BBQ sauce.
Experiment, you'll be surprised how easy it is.

One of my favorites was little smokies and BBQ sauce.

I did that once.... back in like 2002. It was before I learned all the little tricks. I had the cooker mounted level, down on the pipes close to the engine. Little smokies, a little BBQ and just placed directly in the cooker.

The sled is a triple piped Mtn Max with a lexan hood. The inside of the hood gets covered with steam when busting powder. We are tearing up some awesome powder, then hope on the trail and go to the next spot. The trail ride cleans out the steam/frost and when we stop I can see the inside of my hood looks like a BBQ bomb went off!!! When that sauce is hot it gets thin and has no problem spraying out of the cooker.

Ceramic coated pipes with burnt on BBQ is a bitch to get clean

I really don’t like eating a meal when I ride. I like having a hot supper when I get back to the lodge or town. Like just snacky stuff throughout the day.

Just got my first muff pot and mounted on the pipe just past the y pipe. I made a prime rib for New Year’s Eve and have a good amount left over. I cut it up in chunks and froze it in individual aluminum foil wraps about the size of the muff pot.

If I put the frozen prime rib chunks in there how long does take to thaw and warm up? I don’t want to over cook them. I imagine it takes a couple hours.

If y’all have any other muff pot pearls of wisdom or good ideas for lunch let me know.

Thanks!

mounted on the y pipe it is going to get really hot really fast ,exhaust temps are over a 1000 deg f , i mount mine at the can, and if you put a burrito in before
you leave the truck it will be smoking i a couple of hrs .

I’ve always mounted mine on the silencer... because it’s easier to access on my RMK’s. But I can usually tell when my sandwiches or whatever are done when I smell it!
I’m looking forward to trying the oven bags as aluminum foil does stick bad in muff pots.

I got a muff pot for Christmas three years ago. It is still in the box on a shelf in my shop. That tells you how lazy I am. :face-icon-small-con
But I have been out with guys that have the muff pot and they use the oven bags as others have mentioned. I thought those worked very well. Pizza rolls are killers.:face-icon-small-hap

Hot pockets work great or burritos.

I use and oven bag and fill it with frozen shrimp. Put in some butter a good measure of lemon pepper and some basil.

Those things will have everyone jealous when you pull them out of the cooker.

Mine is mounted on the end of the pipe just between the pipe and silencer on my pro.

Could a couple of guys post a pic of where you mounted by the csn? I’m specifically looking at the Axys RMK location.

WPS sells muff pot sized oven bags. That's what I use mounted to the silencer not directly lined up with a vent. Aluminum foil leaves black spots on your food. Little smokies, a hot Pocket, or brats/polish sausage are all pretty tasty. I wouldn't call them a full on meal, just a warm snack.

Premium Features

Back