• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtn. Top Snowbikes

There’s a post on fb of a new mt top with a torn spindle first ride…

View attachment 397321

This is super unfortunate! But from my perspective as a dealer is being dealt with properly.

I heard about this Monday morning via a phone call so that I could inform my customers of a potential issue. Mtn Top then took their spindle inventory, had the powder coat stripped, re-welded the spindles, re powder coated them and had replacement parts at my door by Saturday. I suspect most of this was done by Allen himself, which is insane to me! That's a lot of work!

From what I heard about the incident above, the kit owner was offered a replacement spindle on the spot, and installation of a replacement spindle, but refused it and elected to wait for a re-welded one. The kit owner was given some swag for their troubles, and they no doubt have a new spindle being shipped to them at no cost.

My kit has been rock solid and is very impressive now that we're finally getting enough snow to really ride it.
VideoCapture_20221217-191442-01.jpeg

P
Dec 15, 2018
ford just ordered to pay billion 7 for wrongful death with roll over issues in f250’s so ****e happens lol. Can’t imagine a world where you strap a snowmobile kit in a dirt bike and expect everything to go as planned lol

J
Dec 19, 2015
I've got a few rides on my Mtn Top ski and have been thinking about what to say about it.

I've run it on my 120 and 137 CMX kits. I'm riding west coast snow.

I've let others ride it and they seem to have similar feelings about the ski.

It doesn't excite me or disappoint. It works good. I'd say it's not really any better that my CMX or TS skis in the conditions I've ridden so far.

It has a very similar bottom shape as my CMX ski and performs about the same in the conditions we have had so far this year.

We really haven't had the conditions that make the CMX ski horrible so I am anxious to see how it handles crust.

The live keel is unnoticeable.

I hate that it doesn't have a carbide.
Where we ride we have icy conditions to ride through and not having a carbide blows.

I'm keeping it on my bike for more testing.

My opinion now is that if I demoed it I wouldn't be compelled to buy one to replace my ski. But if I needed a ski it's not a bad option.

Feb 23, 2019
Cheney Wa
I only have a couple of rides on my ski. Its on a 2020 Aro3 . North Idaho snow. So far I love the Mtn Top ski, on the trail it is way better than the TS . I can run a lot faster than I could before. It has eliminated the arm pump /death grip of the old ski. As for off trail it feels more planted and holds a turn better. So on a Timbersled I think its a great up grade.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Mtn top is for sale on the Facebook timbersled yeti snowbike forum. $9k usd. Someone should snatch it up.

106244.jpeg

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Being 100% honest, MY OPINION is these kits were rushed a bit and unfortunately it's showing. Hopefully things can get sorted and these can show they are worth the coin.

The 2 locals that I know of that had xfr kits have both listed them for sale. At least one said $10k was expensive enough he didn't need to pay to be part of R&D for a "premium" company. I understand his frustration.

Allen understands there are growing pains with any company and we've all seen he is standup guy to deal with. If he could find the time, he'd probably go around and personally fix and setup everyones kits, but he has to depend on dealers and consumers to be patient, which in this day and age is nearly impossible to find. Maybe some youtube videos going through setups for different snow conditions would help? I know the complaints I've heard are reliability and performance problems. Some simple videos could possibly go a long way helping this feedback.

I doubt the feedback I've heard would be as critical, if the kits weren't priced as such. But being labeled as the top tier kit holds you to a much higher standard. Blending in with the rest of the industry just won't do. The performance, maintenance, and support has to match the price, and so far it seems to be falling short. I'm not saying it can't be the best either. Just might need some tweaks.

Once again, just my take on things. Happy riding.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Had a whole lot of fun ripping the XFR yesterday. Suspension is unmatched. Drive system wicks up fast and gets you up and moving. The track design is incredibly well matched foe the bike and creates more float and less drag. Makes the bike move through the snow very freely. End up in 3rd gear a LOT. Can easily pull 2nd from a dead stop. And 5th on the roads feel very comfortable. Kit soaks up chatter and lighter skin pressure helps the kit go where you want not where the ruts lead .

received_1378441046304665.jpeg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Being 100% honest, MY OPINION is these kits were rushed a bit and unfortunately it's showing. Hopefully things can get sorted and these can show they are worth the coin.

The 2 locals that I know of that had xfr kits have both listed them for sale. At least one said $10k was expensive enough he didn't need to pay to be part of R&D for a "premium" company. I understand his frustration.

Allen understands there are growing pains with any company and we've all seen he is standup guy to deal with. If he could find the time, he'd probably go around and personally fix and setup everyones kits, but he has to depend on dealers and consumers to be patient, which in this day and age is nearly impossible to find. Maybe some youtube videos going through setups for different snow conditions would help? I know the complaints I've heard are reliability and performance problems. Some simple videos could possibly go a long way helping this feedback.

I doubt the feedback I've heard would be as critical, if the kits weren't priced as such. But being labeled as the top tier kit holds you to a much higher standard. Blending in with the rest of the industry just won't do. The performance, maintenance, and support has to match the price, and so far it seems to be falling short. I'm not saying it can't be the best either. Just might need some tweaks.

Once again, just my take on things. Happy riding.
Do you have a kit?

And are speaking from experience?

Or reading things on fakebook and the interwebs?

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Do you have a kit?

And are speaking from experience?

Or reading things on fakebook and the interwebs?
A little reading comprehension on your part and it's obvious I do not own a mtn top kit and everything I've said, I have clearly stated to be my own opinion. I'm just a potential customer following these kits performance closely.

Do you have to own a kit to have an opinion or make an observation now?

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
A little reading comprehension on your part and it's obvious I do not own a mtn top kit and everything I've said, I have clearly stated to be my own opinion. I'm just a potential customer following these kits performance closely.

Do you have to own a kit to have an opinion or make an observation now?
Oh it’s definitely clear now. ?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Yes. Obviously my eyes and ears cannot be trusted. A guy riding snowbikes since 2012 isn't allowed to speak of such things. Please enlighten me with all of your wisdom Mr. ****metalfab. ??
Defensive much?

I asked if you had actually ridden a mtn top before posting your long winded “opinion”?

I was just hoping to help everyone else understand how informed your opinion was.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
OK guys. Let's not let this thread devolve, please. (y)

@JimBridger Regarding your comment "The 2 locals that I know of that had xfr kits have both listed them for sale. At least one said $10k was expensive enough he didn't need to pay to be part of R&D for a "premium" company. I understand his frustration."
Curious if these two owners rode the kits before selling or just ordered/received then looked them over and decided to sell before installing and riding? More details on what they observed would be helpful. And curious why they ordered the first run of a brand new kit if they are the type that seem to prefer to wait until all the bugs are worked out? I'm definitely that type myself (I never buy first model year of anything) so I can relate, but why order these kits since they seem the type that don't like to experiment and work through the bugs of the first run? Maybe they just got excited and ordered and then changed their minds? Or were there specific observations they shared? Thanks.

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Defensive much?

I asked if you had actually ridden a mtn top before posting your long winded “opinion”?

I was just hoping to help everyone else understand how informed your opinion was.
I'd love to ride one, but no joke the 2 guys that had them have already sold them after a couple rides so I didn't get a chance. So take that for what it's worth.

I'm interested because in 2012 I went from riding a 2moto track thinking the idea of snowbikes was a dead end to buying my first mountain horse and realizing there was a future in the sport. Allen really did make a total game changer kit. I was hoping lightening would strike twice, but I'm just laying out my personal opinion from what I've seen and heard from friends. I don't have a Facebook or other social media account, so my information either comes my own firsthand observations or my trusted friends, firsthand observations. I'm an offensively defensive person.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
rode my mtn top kit yesterday for maiden voyage. Coming off a 129 aro kit which has been bombproof so far. First impressions we were on a groomed hard pack trail, trail ability is as good as I have ridden. We havent had snow in about 10 days once we got off trail the light ski feeling is so nice and the playful feel is pure awesome to ride. couple buds also rode woh all ride aro kits and same comments, love it. we had like a foot of soft snow so was perfect test day snow....excited to get more seat time

E
Dec 19, 2007
I really want to hear a direct comparison to a riot. If it cost 10k and sometimes breaks well... I think we are all kinda used to that. That's how this sport is. The yetis have always been fragile and expensive too. Klim gear is expensive but still rips and loses water proofing but it's the best in the biz.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Personally, I want to hear all the opinions in a thread like this; The great and the not so great. Everyone should feel free to share experiences as they unfold. If something breaks, it breaks. Share the details (whether that is you smashed into something and anything would have broken or if it was a manufactures defect or an assembly oversight (at factory, at dealership, or you personally). It's all part of the story. Then we get all the data.

Some manufacturers stand behind things better than others (Allen being a standout). New products typically have have some growing pains, but Snowest members shouldn't be scared to post about them and other members shouldn't be defensive. Allen isn't. He welcomes the feedback so he can quickly identify issues and react. If someone has first hand information on issues, post it up. An issue might be an anomaly or might uncover a defect or trend. We won't know about it unless people post. Then we see if it gets addressed and we move on.

Threads like this are only valuable if everyone freely shares information. Readers understand (I hope) that any thread is an ever-evolving story. If there is an issue, it won't be an issue forever if the manufacturer corrects it. If you post up that you don't like something, or that you do like something, be detailed in why. Everyone rides different terrain and snow conditions and prefers a different riding style. Saying "this is the best performing snowbike kit" or "this is the worst performing snowbike kit" is meaningless because one person might like riding characteristics completely different than you. Several of the reviewers have given some very detailed reviews, which is great. Others have shared first hand experience with some issues, which is great.

I even see value in comparing kits, in a give snow condition, that have a different focus (deep snow vs poppy/playful) because it adds to the data points to help readers compare how one kit rides compared to another kit and decide which kit is better for them. So if someone says Kit X was faster all day in deep snow than kit Y, that would be helpful to potential buyers, particularly if all the setup details, bike specs, conditions, etc. are included. It doesn't mean Kit X is "better" than Kit Y. It just means that it's faster in those conditions. And some might not care about faster. If someone says Kit Y is way more playful than kit X in these conditions, and someone values playfulness and riding feel over deep snow performance, that information helps them decide. Usually one kit will favor certain snow conditions and riding styles, but any kit can be setup so many different ways, you could have two of the exact same bikes and exact same kits setup very different and a test rider could love one setup way more than the other, just because of something like the strut length changes the overall geometry (ski weight, steering dynamics and/or deep snow/climbing performance).

In the end, I'd rather be on any brand 2023 kit than the kits from 2014. Or even 2018. But, I've had a ball on my 2014 kit (and all kits since)! If an old kit was all that was available, I'd ride it and love it. Just like with sleds, we are just getting more and more spoiled with what these kits will do. You can't really go wrong as any kit is going to be fun to ride, but it's nice to have all the different opinions shared so a buyer has a better chance to choose a kit that better aligns with their style, terrain, riding riding conditions and maybe even mechanical ability.

Last edited:
Premium Features