• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI (Where did Skyler and your customer sevice go)????

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
So my sled season...lol. What season? It ended today after what has to be the worst season I've ever had. It started waiting until January for a Cammoplast warranty to come through. Not *****ing about the warranty. That was awesome Cammoplast...Seriously Thank You and your customer service. I know most of it was due to the process getting the track to you. Bummed I missed the beginning of the season. Then missed 1/3 of the rides due to poor CO snow season. The final nail was MPI. They kilt it...

Wow...let me start by saying most times I dealt with Mac directly I've been satisfied, but I'm going vent for being a loyal MPI customer since their first SC days.

This will take a while and I don't want to lose your interest, so let me first ask an important question.

Has anyone seen an MPI fuel controller go through all the motions and not work to change any of its settings?

I'm on my third controller and when I sent this one in last week overnight to the tune of $35.00, its was completely dead. No worky...just like last season when I sent it in. Ok so first I call and talk to Mike. Great guy tells me how to check it over the phone to ensure its dead. Yep dead... Mike says send her back and if it’s not working I'll send you a new one. Sweet since this one has less than 400 miles on it since MPI last had it. Talk to Mike on Monday says he hadn't got to it and hasn't checked it yet. Since I'm leaving for a Snowies trip he'll rush it. Again Sweet. Tuesday Mike calls says it was dead, but they got it working and re-programmed it. Sent it back to the tune of $15.00. To close to call for our WY trip, so we postponed it. Controller came it Friday morning or that’s when I found it.

Have a Tog trip in a couple weeks so I spend hours going through my sled cleaning her up, buffing the tunnel to a shine this whole week. No snow in CO, so we were thinking of hitting the Snowies agin this weekend. I hook up my just returned controller and by-god it lights up like a Christmas tree....goes through its normal cycle, but my sled wont stay running. AFR's are not great 12-13's but no matter what I do the controller nothing changes. Then I was thinking....It runs exactly like it did when the controller took a Chit while riding before I sent it back to MPI. After 3 dead controllers this issue was new for my eyes. I call MPI and they have the nerve to tell me it must have corroded worse after they sent it back to me. Oh it’s not warranted because it had sealant on it. OMFG....My first two controllers didn't have sealant on them and had the same friggin issue, but this one having less than 10 rides on it is dead because of sealant. I'm good with no warrantee, but tell me I've had to many, not ....not this one barely used since last February when you replaced and say no because it has silicone on it. It had silicone on it last year when you took it in. Why not tell me this then?

Remember the first controller issues...water in the box. So Since Mac was awesome enough to have TJ's replace my controller while we were at West Yellowstone after it died without sealant I might add. This MPI rep has the nerve to tell me they have a lot of trouble with controllers TJ's handed out. Are you friggin serious. I know Troy personally and this guy blaming him for a problem several of us have been dealing with since the first SCApex hit the snow makes me want to whoop some a$$.

So I know Mac as well and I plan to hit him up at West. I just plain think its crap to have to take issues to the top to get some simple customer service. They've had 10's if not 100's of these things die. With the RB3 coming along there will no longer be a market for the Gems anyway. Why not clear the inventory.

Bored yet? So now why my season is over. Because of a cheep fuel controller and my being nice to the wife. When this thing died I was all set to go RB3. In fact Racinstation was going to hook me up and provide the mapping I need for CO elevations. Being the end of season when MPI told me they'd fix it or send a new one, I caved to the wife’s needs and let her drop serious coin on the house. I figured I survived with junk this long what's another couple trips. Now today I get the it’s not covered thing and it musta corroded worse when we shipped it back....god that kills me.

So since I just retired and have no income the remainder of this month, plus I let the wife have the rest of our play fund so she could do wife things to the house. Seemed only fare at the time since I've been spending spree for months, and its spring. I got caught with my pants down. Do I ride my back-up stocker the remainder of the season, or ask the wife if I can take $850.00outa the fund I gave her to use? She'll be ticked after I gave her the go ahaead.

Skyler where did you go bro. Musta go fired for taking care of us peeps.

So for the 20k + I've dropped at MPI over years. I'll be drinking a beer to our parting ways.

Be on the look out for one Bad-A$$ SCApex in the swap meet. Only needs a feul controller...lol...

I was thinking MCX Nytro anyway.

Done Venting.
Robrstopr

Lol...

Chris,

My brother....nice push. I
I've talked to Trey about possibly picking his up for next season, or doing a build. I'd like to keep my SCApex as back-up, since I finally got where I like it.

I know you don't feel my pain. Only other SCApex owners can and feel my pain, but everyone of them has felt it. We are the only ones that have to reprogram our sleds 20 times per ride to keep it running at close to 90%-100%

Close to is all we can get until the RB3 or someone makes a program that will work. You Nytro guys got a better product. We SCApex owners get left behind with no more R&D outa MPI to fix our issues. New money is the best money.

Their web site still advertises a fix coming for our issues. Think they'd take it off before someone gets thicked enough to try their case in court. Better yet a class action. I've been stranded six times due to my controller taking a crap. Good thing fellow sledders are stand up peeps.

The funny part is I'm not really pizzed because of the issue. I'm ticked I finally got this sled dialed to be a true monster and my season ends because of my own stupidity and a POS fuel controller. Like I said I made preperations with Racinstation to replace it anyway. Its truely my fault for knowing the Gems was crap and you'd think after 3 I'd learn my lesson. I was just trying save a few bucks at the end of a crappy season.

I'm sorry MPI. What was I thinking. My Bad...
Robrstopr

P.S. Still no-one else with a controller that goes through the mostions and don't work? I was told this was common.

I am not trying to rain on your parade here, and I can feel your pain for having to deal with this kind of service, but I have been riding the fence on turbo vs. S/C vs. stock on my Apex I keep leaning toward stock when I read about these kind of problems. I enjoy the turn the key and go...and ride it back part of owning a four stroke. I have ridden my buddies S/C Apex and man what a kick in the a$$.

I highly recommend Boost. I could never ride without it. MY SCApex is awesome, just these dang fuel controllers keep taking a crap. Bad timing.

Where did those guys go? Did I tell you I LOVE my MCX nytro. Im sure glad I sold that SC kit I had in my garage...I was this close to installing it on my apex:eek:

Sure...rub it in...lol.

I tell ya my sled may not run right now, but she sure does look sweet....lol. I've got so much into getting her this nice I'd hate to part with her. Reality is I was planning on going MCX Nytro next season and keeping my SCApex as my back-up. Right now I have a stock Apex as my back-up, and I'd almost not ride as to ride without boost.

Keep the pics coming, and I'm glad your sled is killer.
Craig

I ended up selling my SC for the same reasons that you are experiencing and then a few more:eek: Went with an Impulse turbo - couldn't be happier:). Feels the same at the bottom end and it seems like it just never quits pulling. :D

Right now I have a stock Apex as my back-up, and I'd almost not ride as to ride without boost.

That is the silliest statement I have ever heard. I mean come on, can't we just go out and have fun anymore with a stock sled? Give me a break.:rolleyes:

Silly as it sounds to you. After years with boost...stock sucks. If it works for you great. I feel the same way about my diesel truck towing. A gasser can get you there, but the diesel is the chit. Haven't owned a gasser since 2001, and will never own one again.

Stock gets you around, but boost keeps the smile on your face all day. That's just how it is.

Silly as it sounds to you. After years with boost...stock sucks. If it works for you great. I feel the same way about my diesel truck towing. A gasser can get you there, but the diesel is the chit. Haven't owned a gasser since 2001, and will never own one again.

Stock gets you around, but boost keeps the smile on your face all day. That's just how it is.

thats true. had the opportunity to ride a turbo last week and i had a grin on my face for hours after. if i could afford it i would have one. we can all get by with a vw beetle but wouldn't a porsche be better? stock and turbo are two completely different worlds.

Carbs

i am glad i have carbs and do not have to deal with a control box granted i do have to pull my inter cooler and disco my carbs to adjust the the jets
good luck hopefully MPI will come around and do you right

i am glad i have carbs and do not have to deal with a control box granted i do have to pull my inter cooler and disco my carbs to adjust the the jets
good luck hopefully MPI will come around and do you right

I know what ya mean. My best Bro (Colorado Yamaha), has a full mod SCRX and besides kicking my SCApex butt all over he doesn't have to deal with my issues. Matter a fact I'm shocked he hasn't quit riding with me yet....lol.

I guess he likes to rub it in.

The worst part of this post...406 views and not one SCApex guy saying they had their controller go through the motions and not adjust any settings. All my other one just died, quit all together. MPI said this was a common issue. I don't get it. Guess its common now that it happened once.

Robrstopr

Last edited:
Troy built this one. It has nothing to do with Troy or TJ's. Its the Gems fuel controller. If you can just ride without messing with your controller all day, and have been lucky enough to never have yours die.....You are lucky and at least must be the only SCApex owner not spending a tona time messing to keep your controller settings right for optimun performance.

Want to sell your controller????

sounds like i got lucky..no gonna keep the controller...but thanks for the heads up..now i will know what the problem is when it happens....I agree about riding boosted... everytime I ride my backup/wife's sled it feels like something is missing....the boost!

If you have a Dobeck box (GEMS is a Dobeck)...you need to have it inside a waterproof container. THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF...and silicone around the edge does NOT seal the box up.

Hope MPI takes care or you.

MPI, w.a.j.

Customer service at MPI is a joke. I ordered a Boss seat for my Mtn. Max,a flat top, high rise, they said they had in stock. What I recieved was a reg style, Boss seat. I called them and explained what happened and they said tough chit. Apparently they had no flat top, high rise in stock so they just sent me a reg. style. I had to pay 30 bucks out of pocket to ship it back. There mistake. I will never do business with MPI again. This was in 2007 too. Yeah, I hold grudges.

I have had nothing but problems with MPI. When I comes time to replace anything that is MPI on my sled I am willing to pay double to get someone else's parts than theirs. I am done with them.

They totally rape a person on shipping. I asked them to charge shipping on some parts to MY UPS account and they wouldn't do it. They charged me $17 and it came in a padded envolope USPS marked $3.15.

Ya, $21 sipping for one quart of S/C oil. As if $109 per quart isn't enough. Should have been free shipping with vaseline.;)

Premium Features

Back