• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI Supercharged Phazer Reviews & Whats it Worth? $$

Guys looking at buying a MPI Supercharged Phazer if I can sell my 975 Polaris IQ which is listed in the polaris swapmeet forum.
FIRST:
Can anyone give me reviews, ideas, thoughts, info, etc on these setups?

I have talked and pm'd alot of guys and they have been helpful just want to get the overall consensus on boosted phazers, and MPI if anyone has experiance with them as well?
How they run?
What they will run with? at different elevations?
Definate Mods needed done to make the boosted phazer rip?

I mountain ride and like to boone and climb so my thoughts are like this. My 975bb currently has 180hp off the n20 button. So @ 5k feet it would have 153hp due to 3%loss from elevation so the Phazer MPI Should run right with it? 180hp 2strokes one hell of a sled and about the most hp guys run with them unboosted!

Oh phazer because I weight 150lbs and like the way i can throw it around, i know people will say why phazer go nytro but thats why!

SECONDLY:
What is a 2007 mtn lite phazer w/MPI supercharger setup, aftermarket exhaust, boost guages and air fuel guage, couple other cosmetic aftermarkets, 1000 miles on sled 400 on s/c installed worth? $7500 IMO at least...
By worth i mean, what would a person expect to get out of one average if it was listed on here. I am looking in case I decide i don't like it if i buy one where i need to be to get my money out of it and not lose a ton of $$$ on it next year. What would you pay for one or consider a good deal?

Thanks guys and this is my first yami post so new faces here!

another quick fact from my research: I am thinking mpi supercharged over turbo because it seems to be proven from all i have talked to with exception of some that the mpi max of 12lbs boost has held up well on the phazer w/more then one person running over 3k miles now. Some of the t-phazer running 14-16lbs have had issues and not alot of them have put on the 3k miles to show if it will hold up on the phazers motor or not.
12lbs seems to be running well on the phazer, reliable, even though its not able to put out the 160hp plus that the higher boosts are running but I want a sled that is reliable as well as able to last especially beings it is a 4 stroke and thats part or the reason i'm leaning that way. boosted or non boosted high hp 2's just don't seem to be making it over 3k without major rebuilds eventually!

JUST MY OPINIONS; YOURS ARE WELCOMED PLEASE!????

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Boosted Phazers are prone to rod failures-- and even warp the cylinder bores ---keep the boost down --- any more than 140 hp and they will blow.
You are right the most fun sled Yamaha makes but boost is hard on the little engine do not expect to much out of it --- for reliability I would drop the boost even further 10 lb or so about 120 hp and have fun. That would be hard though coming of a big bore. I have a Phazer here myself and run it stock on the engine anyway because of what I have seen with the boosted sleds SC as well as turbo.

cheers...........

WakeGD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Don't forget supers lose hp as you gain altitude and you can't get it back.

I've never ridden a boosted phazer so I can't comment on how you'd like it but I do know my Apex isn't that much more effort to boondock than my Dad's 900 Rmk.

S
Dec 9, 2008
We set up our phazer kits at 11 psi for race fuel making 140hp. As long as run a good race fuel and do not overheat the machine you will just fine. If you have any more questions please call me here at MPI 888-649-4609 ext 121, Thanks Skyler

dexter

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
I would really stay away from any machine that only makes 140 hp and has to run race fuel. just not enough power for the price of the fuel. and i don't think for one minute that the boosted phazer will be more reliable than a stock m8 or as light. I also run boosted 4 strokes. they aren't that easy to sell either. just my 2 cents. one motor failure and it will cost you close to what its worth to repair.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I know yer set on a Phazer for the fact you are a smaller feller, and it will be easy and fun to throw around.

I'm 5'6", 140 and ride a Nytro.

It's the easiest handling sled I have ever ridden. If you are still open to suggestion... I suggest you ride a Nytro before yer final decision. They need a good rear suspension, and decent track installed, but other than that I think you would be better served.

You can pick up a new outta the box Nytro for what you are lookin at for a boosted Phazer (around $7500-8K).
Drop 40lbs off the Nytro (Timbersled) and you have equal weight, equal HP (to boosted Phaze), and equal handling - with waaaaay better deep snow performance (due to suspension).

As a matter of fact, wait about.... ooooohhhh.... 7 days - Yammi may have an even better option 4 ya!

thanks for the posts so far guys and suggestions, I will def. keep them all in mind and hope to keep this thread alive to come to an overall consensus!

also whats this sled worth resale:
07 MPI phazer, piped, air/fuel gauge, boost gauge, cosmetic aftermarkets? after i have bout 400 miles on boost rest of season and 1000 on sled???
prices? What could i sell it for without sitting on it forever?

thanks

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Another thing to consider is that the phaser comes with a 14" wide track. I've heard of people squeezing a 15" wide in but it took some work.

If you go the Nytro route you can fit a 15 or with a little work a 16" wide. That'll give you a lot more options for what track you decide to run...and believe me you'll want to swap your track...do some searching on here and you'll see how much of a difference it makes.

welcome to yamaha! :beer;:beer;:beer;

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
thanks for the posts so far guys and suggestions, I will def. keep them all in mind and hope to keep this thread alive to come to an overall consensus!

also whats this sled worth resale:
07 MPI phazer, piped, air/fuel gauge, boost gauge, cosmetic aftermarkets? after i have bout 400 miles on boost rest of season and 1000 on sled???
prices? What could i sell it for without sitting on it forever?

thanks

i could have picked a few up last spring with 1000 km on them for around 6500 to 7500 cnd

Premium Features