• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving to Fairbanks: Any Decent Riding Around There?

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
Looks like i might be moving up to fairbanks. I was wondering if there is any decent mountain riding around there, or within a few hours of there.

Thanks

Evan

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
yes lots of good riding..just stay away from that mag guy...he's all trouble(:eek:),..hit up ICR..he knows lots of good spots..oh yeah..so does shweee.........

I
Nov 26, 2007
2.5 hours to decent riding whether you go left or right (white mountains don't count).

What kind of riding do you like?

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
I like deep powder mountain riding. Off trail boondocking and lots of hillclimbing. I originally wanted to move to anchorage but it looks like that isnt gonna workout but I just got an opportunity in fairbanks so i just wanna make sure i can have some comparable riding to what I have down here in montana.

How much snow do they get in the cantwell area? Where is there good early and late season riding in central alaska?>

Evan

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I like deep powder mountain riding. Off trail boondocking and lots of hillclimbing. I originally wanted to move to anchorage but it looks like that isnt gonna workout but I just got an opportunity in fairbanks so i just wanna make sure i can have some comparable riding to what I have down here in montana.

How much snow do they get in the cantwell area? Where is there good early and late season riding in central alaska?>

Evan

c'mon up we'll hook ya up! ;)

S

shwee

Jan 8, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
There are a few good places but Cantwell is the be-all-end-all for me. *sigh* ;)

Of course, I may change my mind just a little since AKSNOWRIDER has promised to show me around his parts this next season. :D:beer;

I
Nov 26, 2007
There are a few good places but Cantwell is the be-all-end-all for me. *sigh* ;)

That's because I haven't shown you summit yet.

For hillclimbing I'd go to summit, the mountains are closer than in cantwell.

We don't have trails, but Cantwell has trees for boondocking.

They both get plenty of snow, although I don't know the annual total off the top of my head.

Cantwell snow depth check
4.jpg

average cantwell scene
8.jpg

summit scenery
calebbail2.jpg

S

shwee

Jan 8, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
That's because I haven't shown you summit yet.

For hillclimbing I'd go to summit, the mountains are closer than in cantwell.

We don't have trails, but Cantwell has trees for boondocking.

They both get plenty of snow, although I don't know the annual total off the top of my head.

Cantwell snow depth check
4.jpg

average cantwell scene
8.jpg

summit scenery
calebbail2.jpg

Sooo... you know you have to take me there now. Mag will probably want to tag along too. Just a few weeks away, right?!

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
What is the riding season like? Here we got snow starting on oct 4th and could ride well up until about a week ago in cooke city.

Evan

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
But... usually our season doesnt start till december but last year was an early one.

Also, What elevation is most of the riding in those pictures taken at? I'm just wondering how much weight I'll have to add to my primary.

Thanks

Evan

I
Nov 26, 2007
I ride from mid october to early may most years...but trailing arms are cheap. Safe riding is from early november to late april for most people. Cantwell is 2-5k for most places...summit is 3-7k.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Sooo... you know you have to take me there now. Mag will probably want to tag along too. Just a few weeks away, right?!

And Phil just got a 4place, it's like it was meant to be!

I'd say about 14 weeks...that's also how long it will take me to put my sled back together (nothing like snow in the hills to get motivated)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
c'mon up we'll hook ya up! ;)

Psst..Evan..this is the one I was warning ya about...:D
come on up..I live in anchorage..ride mostly Eureka..but will ride anywhere..and have...lots of awesome riding and peeps(well except for one or two)...

S

shwee

Jan 8, 2008
Fairbanks, Alaska
And Phil just got a 4place, it's like it was meant to be!

I'd say about 14 weeks...that's also how long it will take me to put my sled back together (nothing like snow in the hills to get motivated)

LOL... He'll be busy working delivering fuel so we'll let him know how his new trailer works. :D

I'm counting down from 14 now...

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
Thanks guys,

I was worried that moving to fairbanks instead of anchorage, that I wouldnt get nearly as good riding living in fairbanks like i would in anchorage, but it sounds like comparable riding is only a few hours away from fairbanks now. I have to drive an hour at least (to big sky) right now where i live, and here in bozeman, Montana is considered to be right in the center of it all (They closed all the good riding near town).

Evan

Premium Features