• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Montana Race Gas Group Buy in

S

SNOW JW

I am looking for guys to go in with me on Sunoco 110 fuel I am willing to pick up 3 barrels and I am not sure were to get the best buy but I know guys are picking it up for $5 a gallon or so with a large order.

Post up if you are interested.

Thanks!!!

I am looking for guys to go in with me on Sunoco 110 fuel I am willing to pick up 3 barrels and I am not sure were to get the best buy but I know guys are picking it up for $5 a gallon or so with a large order.

Post up if you are interested.

Thanks!!!

where is belgrade located at?? I'm sure a couple of us would be interested in this group buy. I have a lot on echo lake and we can come down to pick fuel up when and if you do it. let me know. ryan

Are 55 gallon barrels all your getting? I would go for some 5 gallon cans but I don't think mixing this year I'll go through enough to use a barrel before it goes bad.

You may be able to buy some off of us but yes 55 gallon drums is the cheapest option.

Belgrade is about 10 miles west of Bozeman on I90

If i run some race gas i will only be using it for the low elev stuff so i would only need about 10 gallons at the moment.

I would be stunned if you could get it for $5 a gallon...........C12 was around$500 a drum last time I bought one.

i can get you guys 110 av gas form a secret place for $5 a gallon. Its special and i can't tell you where. But some where around hear some some bought ALOT of av gas a few years back and never used any of it and its all sealed up.

And I don't know if I'd buy any gas that was a few years old.

I agree, Leaded Race fuel will sit in sealed (from the factory) drums for a very long time as long as it is never opened, I have had av gas go bad after a couple of years,(in drums) Now this was down in AZ but it went bad and could not be used. I did the same thing and had bought 7 drums of it for my lake boat. Ended getting rid of the last drum..:(
I have kept C14 and C16 for 5 years with no ill effects at all....IMHO

Here found this on a aircraft site

What is the shelf life of avgas?
Reprinted with permission from General Aviation News
by Ben Visser
12/16/2005
Bill Albrecht, who has a heli-pad and hangar in his backyard, recently installed a 2,000-gallon avgas
tank. His question: "What is the shelf life of avgas?"
The short answer is that, under most conditions, the shelf life of avgas is about one year. If you are
a commercial operator, this is the end of the discussion.
For a private pilot, however, there are several points to consider. First, there is a large margin of
safety in the one-year storage life of avgas. The main concern when storing fuels is oxidation and
subsequent formation of gum. Once the fuel starts to form gum, it can cause problems in the entire
fuel system. I've checked numerous avgas samples after two years or even more and found no
degradation, with the samples meeting all specification requirements. The samples will last even
longer if the container is blanketed with nitrogen or stored in a colder climate.
The second point is that the one year shelf life applies to avgas and not auto gas. If a pilot is using
auto gas, he should make a serious effort to use all of the fuel supply within six months of
purchase.
So if avgas is good for one year, how long can you store lubricants? Let's start with engine oils. The
specifications generally state that the manufacturer must guarantee a product will meet physical
property limits for at least three years. Here again, I've tested oils after five and 10 years — from
sealed containers — and found them to meet the spec. There was a small amount of additive
settling after 10 years, but the oil was still on spec. I've also checked samples from open drums
after three to five years and found them to be on spec except for a amount of moisture dissolved in
the oil. This is not a serious problem if your engine is running with a proper oil temperature and can
evaporate the moisture on the first few flights. However with a low usage aircraft, especially one
with an oil temp below 160°F, the moisture can contribute to increased rust activity in the engine.
The mil spec for aviation greases calls for the manufacturer to guarantee that the product meets the
limits for at least three years. This is for a product in a sealed container. The problem with grease is
that much of it is used from an open-top container, which is generally open to the atmosphere. Here
the product is prone to absorb moisture. This can be a problem because many of the applications
for these products do not get to a temperature high enough to boil off the moisture. This can lead to
increased rust activity and decreased component life. Therefore, it is important to always smooth
out the top surface of the grease to limit the surface area exposed to air. I also have found
numerous containers that were not properly covered. Many of these samples contained an excessive
amount of dirt and foreign matter which could decrease component life. Greases should be stored in
a dry place with the lids tightly sealed.

Last edited:
I still say that even if it works in some applications, av gas is not race gas. So if it is av gas that can be purchased for $5.00 per gallon, that's probably true, but I don't think in today's market you'll find Sunoco (at any octane) for that price. Sorry to hijack your thread Justin

I've heard AV gas is designed to burn best at 3500 R's and less....because that's what airplanes spin.

Sleds don't even hardly MOVE below 3500. As we all know, they burn their fuel at over twice what Av gas is designed to burn at.

Last edited:
I've heard AV gas is designed to burn best at 3500 R's and less....because that's what airplanes spin.

Sleds don't even hardly MOVE below 3500. As we all know, they burn their fuel at over twice what Av gas is designed to burn at.

Also designed to run at higher elevations. I've run av gas in my 1150 as a mix, but it doesn't require as high of a octane rating as a turbo.

We used to get it on pallets, four drums to a pallet, kept the shipping cost down. PM me if you can get a good price, I may be interested in a drum.

Hey you Code red snow something guy, I can get what you are looking to buy for $4.75 per gallon all day dude. It comes from a secret spot I know. You just need some yamalube, drain cleaner, a hair dryer( I know where to get these cheep also) and some rocket fuel from a friend at Cape Cadaveral.

We used to get it on pallets, four drums to a pallet, kept the shipping cost down. PM me if you can get a good price, I may be interested in a drum.

It is cheaper by the pallet and I will give discounts for bulk purchases too. Still won't be $5.00 per gallon though.

Premium Features

Back