• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mods for this coming season

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Anyone looking to upgrade their AXYS chassis in any way for this coming season or add any power to their 850?

What options are there out there?

Chassis: Shocks, Khaos style upgrades, light weight parts, tracks, gear downs, clutching? Or are there other geometry changes available to upgrade this already killer sled? E.G. are there any gains with different spindles or skis or A-arms? Is there anything that you would like improved on the AXYS that is yet to be offered? My goal is to reduce steering effort on my 174 without losing turning bite (asking a lot maybe?)

Motor: Obvious upgrade would be turbo or twin pipes for a power bump but what other goodies will we see this year to "up the power"?

T

tbpatten33

Jul 18, 2011
Anyone looking to upgrade their AXYS chassis in any way for this coming season or add any power to their 850?

What options are there out there?

Chassis: Shocks, Khaos style upgrades, light weight parts, tracks, gear downs, clutching? Or are there other geometry changes available to upgrade this already killer sled? E.G. are there any gains with different spindles or skis or A-arms? Is there anything that you would like improved on the AXYS that is yet to be offered? My goal is to reduce steering effort on my 174 without losing turning bite (asking a lot maybe?)

Motor: Obvious upgrade would be turbo or twin pipes for a power bump but what other goodies will we see this year to "up the power"?

Curious to see what single pipes will be coming out. I know Jaws is working on theirs very diligently. Surprised to see SLP’s plan to release the twins before the single. Ill be leaving engine stock minus a single pipe and can depending on who releases one. Plus a pile of lightweight goodies!

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Think I may go for a set of the twin pipes if they get them out in time. Little gearing changes and leave it stock otherwise, that's on a 2020 Khaos.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I have raptor kinetic series shocks all around and pro gears as a gear down i used last year. I already installed TRS clutching and a diamond-s stainless can, for the start of the season. Going to wait And see how the jaws pipe works out, and precision efi reflash. Both will probley be the same hp/ torque gain just not sure what one I'll go with.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Skinz throttle block.

I had way too much powder and ice in my stock throttle block last year, which was a good problem (most of the time, haha).

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Got a new khaos 155 2.6 coming. Mods stacking up are

Before snow flies list:

IceAge Bomber rails / Anti stab / Wheels
156 Camso X3
Avid drivers
Kurts Gear down
TRS clutching
Venting

That makes for one RIPPING sled, im sure I'll add little things as the season goes on but that gets me on the snow with a build im very excited to ride.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Khaos..
Already bought Tki B/D and Diamond S quiet can..
Need to buy indydan clutch kit and trushift cover and see how the jaws pipe turns out...oh and cat tether

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Got a new khaos 155 2.6 coming. Mods stacking up are

Before snow flies list:

IceAge Bomber rails / Anti stab / Wheels
156 Camso X3
Avid drivers
Kurts Gear down
TRS clutching
Venting

That makes for one RIPPING sled, im sure I'll add little things as the season goes on but that gets me on the snow with a build im very excited to ride.

You were running boost in 16-17 what made you decide to run naturally aspirated recently?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
You were running boost in 16-17 what made you decide to run naturally aspirated recently?
A lot of little factors. Originally I boosted to help the 2.6 sleds keep up with the mountain cats and g4's as they had the distinct advantage in the deep. Once I did this 3" build I realized I can easily get that performance I want out of a "stock" sled. Warranty was also a big thing. Most shops don't have anything to say or even notice different track and drivers etc. The second they see a turbo warranty anything pretty much goes out the window. This is a major issue for me as I generally have quite a bit of warranty work done on clutches annually. Last was sled depreciation. I turn sleds over every year with fairly high miles. The turbo just adds to the loss on it and was pushing my annual depreciation to an unsustainable point. Losing 5k+ on a sled plus all your actual riding expenses.... not really reasonable. Or it meant riding less which wasn't an option.

I also forgot, a little bit of challange. I find myself wanting to build shorter and shorter sleds that make riding style more key then just raw power. I have a 146 and will be converting the sled mid season once there is a base. I really enjoy the shorter faster riding style. I found on a boosted sled I just sort of 'plowed' my way up stuff super fast as I had so much more power then anyone else in my group I didn't need finesse to make it the farthest up a creek or anything like that. So my riding style got lazy with this extra HP.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
A lot of little factors. Originally I boosted to help the 2.6 sleds keep up with the mountain cats and g4's as they had the distinct advantage in the deep. Once I did this 3" build I realized I can easily get that performance I want out of a "stock" sled. Warranty was also a big thing. Most shops don't have anything to say or even notice different track and drivers etc. The second they see a turbo warranty anything pretty much goes out the window. This is a major issue for me as I generally have quite a bit of warranty work done on clutches annually. Last was sled depreciation. I turn sleds over every year with fairly high miles. The turbo just adds to the loss on it and was pushing my annual depreciation to an unsustainable point. Losing 5k+ on a sled plus all your actual riding expenses.... not really reasonable. Or it meant riding less which wasn't an option.

I also forgot, a little bit of challange. I find myself wanting to build shorter and shorter sleds that make riding style more key then just raw power. I have a 146 and will be converting the sled mid season once there is a base. I really enjoy the shorter faster riding style. I found on a boosted sled I just sort of 'plowed' my way up stuff super fast as I had so much more power then anyone else in my group I didn't need finesse to make it the farthest up a creek or anything like that. So my riding style got lazy with this extra HP.

Long story short,
You ride with all NA buddies and use the warranty. Sounds legit.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Got a Khaos coming with a 2.6.

Keep my TKI gear down kit and compliment it with some Kurts clutching.
Looking at maybe the SKinz Arc system.
Skinz front bumper.
Either Skinz or BM Fab rear bumper.
Helium hood and wrap.

Haven't made up my mind yet on what I am doing with the track. Would like to go with a camso X3 but I am not sure about the extra weight.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I was thinking tracks also, I'm looking at the camso X3 162. or the composite M77 same as the M67 just 3" instead of 2.6" lugs. In a 165", the 3.5 pitch tracks work so good in our snow.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Probably gonna do a gear down and Kurts clutching. Might do an X2.7. Who knows.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I will be really interested if the Khaos is the real deal. I know upgraded shocks are cool but I am wondering if the longer sleds can get the other advantages just by letting out the limiter strap a bit or re-positioning the front arm mounting location. Time will tell.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Have some new gearing to test. 25/69 = 2.76, but i now have 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers giving me a 2.62 final ratio. Will be interesting to see how this works with the 174 3 inch. I have new belts to run with the team tied secondary as well. Went with a softer compound so i can run lighter spring rates and not have to worry about belt slippage. Just a Titanium can for now. Pics and to come soon.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Have some new gearing to test. 25/69 = 2.76, but i now have 7 tooth 3" pitch drivers giving me a 2.62 final ratio. Will be interesting to see how this works with the 174 3 inch. I have new belts to run with the team tied secondary as well. Went with a softer compound so i can run lighter spring rates and not have to worry about belt slippage. Just a Titanium can for now. Pics and to come soon.

Yes that is low. It works out to about 3:1 equivalent to the 8 tooth x 2.86 pitch drivers. What drivers did you have before? Stock would be the drivers you mention for the 3" tracks.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Khaos 155 2.6
Kurts clutching gearing
162 PC 3" track
IceAge 163 Khaos rails with spitfire wheels ;)

We are excited to have another Polaris back in the stable and to see what we can't dream up!

Do you do 174 rails to convert a 163 AXYS? I would want the dual pivot point mount like the stock 174 rails have as I found it way superior to the single.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Do you do 174 rails to convert a 163 AXYS? I would want the dual pivot point mount like the stock 174 rails have as I found it way superior to the single.
We offer a rail that utlizes the stock 155/163 suspension geometry stretched to a 174 as well as the dual pivot point 174 rail to replace the weak factory 174 rails.

When shopping our Axys Pro RMK rails the 174 option is the stretch single pivot rail and the 174 LE is the stock replacement style dual pivot rail.

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Khaos 155 2.6
Kurts clutching gearing
162 PC 3" track
IceAge 163 Khaos rails with spitfire wheels ;)

We are excited to have another Polaris back in the stable and to see what we can't dream up!

SC 2020 850 Khaos 155" that I will be stretching to a 163" with IceAge rails. I have a couple builds this winter trying some different pipes and looking at another big bore. Going to try a couple tracks from Tracks USA, Indy Specialty clutch balancing and machining (never changes by the way once done), bumpers, RSI bars, throttle block, heated Skinz brake lever, gear down kit and other little things.
One thing I would like to point out about IceAge rails...I ride and travel a lot and I bring a lot of spare parts because Im gone quite a while at times. I have great confidence in my IceAge rails! Nothing sucks more than a blown motor or bent or broken rails in the back country and no parts around to replace them. IceAge rails have saved me enough that it's an overlooked mod that in my mind needs to be done. It doesn't save me weight and doesn't make me go faster or higher, It simply gets me back to the trailer when I do dumb stuff or hit dumb stuff lol. They are easier than most people think to instal. Go back to some of my old posts and I show you step by step and what tools you need. Ask my riding buddys how many stock rails we've changed out in my trailer while missing blue bird deep snow days :face-icon-small-dis

Last edited:
Premium Features