• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

man shoots robbers in texas

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Man says he'll kill intruders, then does

Tuesday, November 27, 2007
HOUSTON (AP) - The cha-chick of a shell entering a shotgun's chamber rattled through the 911 line just before Joe Horn stepped out his front door.

Horn, 61, had phoned police when he saw two men break into his neighbor's suburban Houston home through a window in broad daylight. Now they were getting away with a bag of loot.

"Don't go outside the house," the 911 operator pleaded. "You're going to get yourself shot if you go outside that house with a gun. I don't care what you think."

"You want to make a bet?" Horn answered. "I'm going to kill them."

He did.

Admirers, including several of his neighbors, say Horn is a hero for killing the burglars, protecting his neighborhood and sending a message to would-be criminals. Critics call him a loose cannon. His attorney says Horn just feared for his life.

Prosecuting Horn could prove difficult in Texas, where few people sympathize with criminals and many have an almost religious belief in the right to self-defense. The case could test the state's self-defense laws, which allow people to use deadly force in certain situations to protect themselves, their property and their neighbors' property.

Horn was home in Pasadena, about 15 miles southeast of Houston, on Nov. 14 when he heard glass breaking, said his attorney, Tom Lambright. He looked out the window and saw 38-year-old Miguel Antonio DeJesus and 30-year-old Diego Ortiz using a crowbar to break out the rest of the glass.

He grabbed a 12-gauge shotgun and called 911, Lambright said.

"Uh, I've got a shotgun," he told the dispatcher. "Uh, do you want me to stop them?"

"Nope, don't do that," the dispatcher responded. "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, OK?"

Horn and the dispatcher spoke for several minutes, during which Horn pleaded with the dispatcher to someone to catch the men and vowed not to let them escape. Over and over, the dispatcher told him to stay inside. Horn repeatedly said he couldn't.

When the men crawled back out the window carrying a bag, Horn began to sound increasingly frantic.

"Well, here it goes, buddy," Horn said as a shell clicked into the chamber. "You hear the shotgun clicking, and I'm going."

A few seconds passed.

"Move," Horn can be heard saying on the tape. "You're dead."

Boom.

Click.

Boom.

Click.

Boom.

Horn redialed 911 and told the dispatcher what he'd done.

"I had no choice," he said, his voice shaking. "They came in the front yard with me, man. I had no choice. Get somebody over here quick."

Lambright said Horn had intended to take a look around when he left his house and instead came face to face with the burglars, standing 10 to 12 feet from him in his yard.

Horn is heavyset and middle-aged and would have been no match in a physical confrontation with the two men, who were young and strong, Lambright said. So when one or both of them "made lunging movements," Horn fired in self-defense, he said.

Family members of the two shooting victims have made few public statements.

Diamond Morgan, Ortiz's widow, who has an 8-month-old son with him, told Houston television station KTRK that she was stunned by Horn's statements on the 911 tape. "It's horrible," she said. "He was so eager, so eager to shoot."

The Associated Press could not find a telephone listing for Morgan.

The case brought back memories of Bernard Goetz, the New Yorker whom some hailed as a folk hero after he shot four teenagers he said were trying to rob him when they asked for $5 on a subway in 1984.

Goetz was cleared of attempted murder and assault charges but convicted of illegal possession of the gun he used to shoot the youths. He served 81/2 months in jail and was ordered by a jury to pay $43 million to one of the teenagers he shot.

Pasadena police were still investigating Monday and planned to present their findings to Harris County prosecutors within the next two weeks, police spokesman Vance Mitchell said. From there, it is expected to be presented to a grand jury. In the meantime, Horn remains uncharged.

Texas law allows people to use deadly force to protect themselves if it is reasonable to believe they could otherwise be killed. In some cases, people also can use deadly force to protect their neighbors' property; for example, if a homeowner asks a neighbor to watch over his property while he's out of town.

At issue is whether it was reasonable for Horn to fear the men and whether his earlier threats on the 911 call showed he planned to kill them no matter what, said Fred C. Moss, who teaches criminal law at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

also here is a link to the 911 call:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5538780

glad to see it! pricks deserve it for trying to take a hard working citizens belonings. heard that on the radio the other day... made me smile

[QUOTE

Diamond Morgan, Ortiz's widow, who has an 8-month-old son with him, told Houston television station KTRK that she was stunned by Horn's statements on the 911 tape. "It's horrible," she said. "He was so eager, so eager to shoot."

QUOTE]

WTF??? They were STEALING stuff. Typical BS that it is always somebody elses fault. He should get a medal. He made them accountable for their actions.:)

Haha, one shot for each dirtbag and one in the air yelling YIPPIE!

Texas, you gotta love it!

That is one of the few good things about living in Texas. Lets hope he doesn't get the shaft out of it.

I swear texas would be the greatest state in the nation had they mountains and snow there and everyone spoke english hahahahah :)

#1. If you don't keep your word, what good are you????

#2. Nothing gets your attention like the sound of a shotgun having a shell chambered.

#3. The 911 operator should just shut up.

#4. For a brief moment, this guy had a higher production rate than the Texas prison system.

:D

Probably two less illegals in our country now. We need more folks like that around here, too bad that Boulder is in Colorado or we would have a few people like that here.

I ain't goin either way, I don't have enough info. They probably got what they had comming. They might have been illegals, might have been the neighbors brother takin stuff back they didn't return. might have been your 17 year old son or brother, way drunk doing something he shouldent have. One thing is for certain, is dead is dead, ain't no goin back, and the old boy is going to be tied up in court either criminal or civil or both and be paying lots of money to attorneys. And then he has to close his eyes to go to sleep for the rest of his life and re-live it. I guess he saved the t.v. though.

I loved that! He just should have not said that he was going to kill them. That might get him in court.

What everyone has to remember is it sets a dangerous precedent. The law states you can protect yourself and your belongings. It does not give you the right to protect your neighbours stuff. No ones personal safety was at risk. Just the neighbours TV.

If the the old guy gets off it gives everyone the right to shoot into your neighbours yards, and then claim that you thought he was a burgurlar. Then we're gonna have a lot af teenagers getting shot by neighbours when they sneak back into their house's late at night .... after a long night of drinking.

The thieves paid a steep price for a b/e. I know Texas is harsh, but a death sentence for stealing a TV.:( What do J-walkers get?

I have no pity for thieves, but I respect someones life more than that. A couple of shots in the air would have gotten those guys to crap their pants and that would make it easy for a K9 unit to follow their scent.

Premium Features

Back