• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Make listing for non E85 gas for every State

B

Banshee AL

Feb 15, 2003
Halfway OR
Make listing for non blended Ethanol gas for every State

Lets help every one out here this year by listing by each State in "Riding Areas" the City, Name of station and Address of all stations that are selling E85 (oops - I mean non Ethanol blended fuel) for sledding this year.

I started a listing for Oregon - will someone from each state start a list for your state? We all could use this information as many of us travel to different areas throughout the winter.

If you don't have to use blended in your State yet you are lucky but you may have to in the near future.:(:(:mad:

Good Luck

Last edited:
G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
???????
i am assuming you are talking about all ethanol blended gas, as E85 is a specific blend of roughly 85% ethanol and 15% petro gas. from what i have seen, E85 is not readily available outside the midwest and there are no states that require it's use.
do you have any evidence, personal experience that a low blend of ethanol has adverse effects on the performance of your sled? or are you basing this post on something you have read? i have run it in my sled here in the flatlands and cannot tell a difference.
just thought we should get that all straightened out so people arent confused on what you are talking about.

now if you will excuse me, i am going to go polish my flowmaster and tune my NOS

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
i think you are right he's gotta mean 10-15% ethanol.

I've ran it in multiple sleds, saws, boats, etc in MN and never had issues.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
For those of you new to ethanol blended fuel, it will take you guys some time to trust the fuel and get used to it.

We had the same concerns in Minnesota 10 years ago when we started on an ethanol blend.

Don't be too concerned, it is not a big deal to run this blend. Your motors will not explode.....................

10 years into using this blend, it is a non event now..........

M

mcgyver

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 5, 2008
Idaho
Just read about a lawsuit being filed or its already been filed.......couple of outboard manufacturers are claiming that blended fuel is responsible for engine failures due to moisture problems in the fuel systems....they are sueing BP and I believe Conoco

I could see where it might be a problem in setups that sit with fuel in them for a while without use, but most people know that....If your going to use ethanol, and leave it in the tank for an extended period of time, they have additives that will absorb moisture

•Ethanol in gas will absorb water — as much as four teaspoons in a gallon. Water will corrode tanks on the bottom since the gas/ethanol mix floats.

•Run old fuel supply down low before introducing E-10 fuel. Take caution not to run a fuel-injected engine completely dry.

•Maintain a sealed fuel tank.

•Lubricate rubber and plastic components that come in contact with fuel with CRC-656.

• Install a canister-type fuel/water separator filter of 10-12 microns and upgrade fuel lines older than five years to a newer less permeable type.

•Use or drain fuel prior to long-term storage or planned non-use.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
•Ethanol in gas will absorb water — as much as four teaspoons in a gallon. Water will corrode tanks on the bottom since the gas/ethanol mix floats.

How is this different then someone dumping a bottle of HEAT in the tank? Not ripping, just I know some folks who do that in the cold?

M

mcgyver

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 5, 2008
Idaho

How is this different then someone dumping a bottle of HEAT in the tank? Not ripping, just I know some folks who do that in the cold?

I don't think that would be any different... Heat is just an alcahol based additive right? lowers the freezing point of water in the system so it doesn't clog fuel lines I think....

The problem is when this stuff is left in tanks and lines for extended periods without use....... I have no problem running ethanol blends, but I am turning the gas over and not letting it sit....

If your going to store it... fill it with good gas and use some stabil and you'll be good to go later

The Old-E85 debate..............;)

I am too assuming you mean the "oxidized" winter fuel (10%-15% Ethanol). Colorado's "winter gas" is typically run from October to March every year since the 80's.....The added ethanol lowers the vaporization point of the fuel so High Altitude and low ambient air temps, engines run a bit better and the fuel burns more complete, lowering emissions.

A year or so ago when gas was $4.00/gal there was a bunch of debates on running E-85 (85% Ethenol) in all vehicles and not just the "Flex-Fuel" ones. Basically it came down to a real hit-n-miss thing....some vehicle responded fine with E-85, others had rubber-contact breakdown causing a lot of problems.

Bottom line, Even if you do switch over to E-85 safe components, you'll have to completley re-jet as E85 requires a "fatter" jet to get the engine to run well....which of course there is no chart for....also, Ethanol is a much lighter oil-based fuel...so you would be lacking the additional lubrication proporties the fuel alone gives you...so then do you kick-up the oil mix? Yuck.....

IMOP- Don't run E85 in your sled...............ever.

:beer;:beer;:D

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Good luck in idaho

Good luck even finding this junk in Idaho. You might find a couple stations in the boise area that might carry it.
And yes it can burn your motor down because it does require a bigger jet when running ethanol. If you have it jetted right to the edge and change to the ethanol blend then you can have problems if you don't rejet to compensate. Thank goodness for EGTs

R
Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Right now as the EPA regulations stand, 10% ethanol is the max allowed with out labeling on the pump. This may be changed in the future, but as of now, this is how the federal law stands. Switching from no ethanol to 10% is a 1 to 2 size jet change.

Like others have stated, in the midwest this is a non issue anymore.

B

Banshee AL

Feb 15, 2003
Halfway OR
E85 or E10/15 ??

I may have made an error in calling our10 to 15% Blended Fuel - E85 but that's what the local distributor here called it.

Our fuel here is 15% Ethanol 85% gasoline and it has caused some problems with small 2 stroke motors allready.

On a fuel injected engine will we have have to recalibrate the fuel map to allow for this 15% ethanol mix?? :eek:

N

ND Farmer

Nov 30, 2007
north dakota
I have run 10% ethenol blend for over 15 years in the following... 1995 XLT, 1996 600 RMK, 2001 800 RMK, (2) 2002 Indy 340's, 2003 700 RMK, 2005 900 RMK, JD 425 lawn mower, Stihl weed wacker, Stihl leaf blower, an old 1950's Ferguson F30....and not one single engine issue!!!!!!!! Oh, and by the way no soldier gave his life for this product nor do I have to give my money to some sheik in Saudi Arabia when I fill up my tank!!!! If your uninformed quit making such blanket statements! Your thread topic says E-85....now you've changed it to E-10????

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
funny thing, i remember cat's having a ecu lead that would be disconnected if running a blend. Was it the M7's? Never owned one, but i thought they had a user condition that could compensate when actuated by plugging in the lead/connection or disconnecting. rant over......

gtgame

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I have run 10% ethenol blend for over 15 years in the following... 1995 XLT, 1996 600 RMK, 2001 800 RMK, (2) 2002 Indy 340's, 2003 700 RMK, 2005 900 RMK, JD 425 lawn mower, Stihl weed wacker, Stihl leaf blower, an old 1950's Ferguson F30....and not one single engine issue!!!!!!!! Oh, and by the way no soldier gave his life for this product nor do I have to give my money to some sheik in Saudi Arabia when I fill up my tank!!!! If your uninformed quit making such blanket statements! Your thread topic says E-85....now you've changed it to E-10????

Right on ND. I've ran E-10 for 15 plus years now and never had any probs. My wife now runs a Mountaineer with E-85, we try to support our American farmers.

B

Banshee AL

Feb 15, 2003
Halfway OR
If your uninformed quit making such blanket statements! Your thread topic says E-85....now you've changed it to E-10????

Wow - ND Farmer you must be drinking some of that corn mash to cop an attitude like that. Or maybe selling it. :p

Settle down there son - just trying to post some info on here that is maybe helpful to others. I was just calling it what I heard it was called and made a mistake, it's no big deal, it's not the end of the world.

Maybe after you've been on here a little longer your attitude will change to a more friendly one and you will try to help others out instead of slamming them. One can only hope. :beer; :beer;

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Oh, and by the way no soldier gave his life for this product nor do I have to give my money to some sheik in Saudi Arabia when I fill up my tank!!!! If your uninformed quit making such blanket statements! Your thread topic says E-85....now you've changed it to E-10????

Really? So this magical ethanol doesn't use any foreign oil to be produced? Talk about uninformed.

sled_guy

M
Nov 26, 2007

Becasue of during transport/storage/condensation it will absorb the water it comes in contact with. Normal non-ethonal the water will lay in the low lying spots. IE: those big stoarge tanks that hold gas have a cavaty in the bottom of them, that is where the water will settle to. Water heavier than gas, and not get mixed (absorb) with the non ethonal gas.

Normal gas is "blended" with mixed product (2 different types of gas/oil) from product changes that occured in the pipeline. During a product change comming up the pipeline, they cut into a slop tank. And use that to blend (within spec) into a good batch of gas, just to get rid of it.

The "premium" fuel like the premium 91 octane is not "blended"

Last edited:
Premium Features